Need more info on this Camillus Mark 2 knife from WWII

Hi, I hope to get some more information on this USMC MK2 knife that my wife's late Grandfather had. He joined the Marines in 1943 and served in Iwo Jima and Okinawa. The family found two knives at his home and I was gifted one knife by them. I posted about that knife in the KA-BAR forum here:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/thoughts-on-this-usmc-mk2-possibly-from-wwii.1557159/

The other one (which is the subject of this post) is being kept by my mother-in-law for now. Any info that you could provide about this knife would be great. If you check the other thread, you'll see that KA-BAR is in pretty rough shape compared to this one. What I'm trying to piece together is why this knife is in such good shape where the KA-BAR looks used and abused. Maybe he broke is first knife, got a new one and took better care of it? Maybe one was the workhorse and the other the memento? Who knows?

Anyways, here are the pictures:

pqm9jpu.jpg

tXPIkYy.jpg

NOJLNqo.jpg

Ds5anOm.jpg

5pYa9Id.jpg

Can't say anything definite about it but the markings are exactly like I remember (IIRC) from MC issue 50 years ago, only they were green. I didn't know WWII issue were tan.

I bought one in a store 30 years that was tan but marked Kabar. So I thought the tan was a newer thing.

The list of places engraved on the sheath is mighty impressive. Someone was a salty Marine.

Last edited:
Camillus was the last of the four U.S. manufactures to get it's first U.S.M.C. contract for the 1219C2 knife, late 1943. This knife was made after your Ka-Bar was produced in the early 1943.

Back