need opinions on buck vs puma

i'm looking at buying a buck vanguard, or a puma hunters pal or hunters companion. can anyone give me some advice? the puma is 440 soligen steel, the buck is the 48hc. thanks!

In my opinion, the BUCK Vanguard would be the better choice for an all around hunting knife.

I have never owned any Puma brand knives. I would however go with the Buck. I know that the quality will be good and their customer service is very good. Plus they are made in USA.

------------------
Brian
The first knife was probably used to cut stuff.

I own a number of Bucks and Pumas and each has its own strengths. Maybe you should go with whichever one you like best. Buck does a good job with their heat treat to get a lot out of what would normally be considered a low grade steel. Puma does the same, and they drop forge steel that was hot-rolled rather than cold-rolled. My stainless Pumas easily outperform my Benchmade ATS-34 in edgeholding. My Pumas are better at edgeholding than my Bucks, but also cost more. These observations about Puma are about their higher grade knives with stag handles, I am not sure how good their less expensive lines are. Handle the Pumas and the Vanguard and get the one that feels best to you. Either one will serve you well. If you really are set on the Vanguard and have some money to burn, you can try to find one of the Master Series in BG-42.

------------------
Die Entropie der Welt strebt einem Maximum zu - R.J.E. Clausius

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lambertiana:
...... If you really are set on the Vanguard and have some money to burn, you can try to find one of the Master Series in BG-42.</font>

Or you can save up your money while you wait for the Vanguard to be added to Pete's Custom Knife Shop, which I have heard over on theBuck Forum is going to happen. Then you can order a custom Vanguard, most likely with BG42, and get your choice of several handle materials, maybe even stag.
biggrin.gif

------------------
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce
Most dog owners are at length able to teach themselves to obey their dog. - Robert Morley

iktomi

Back