• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

need opion of seller on blade forum auction...fion30@hotmail.com

i bid on a brad duncan custom damascus folder that was listed recently on blade forums and somehow "won" the auction with a measley bid of 91 dollars shipping included....i get this notification from this guy who has this email of fion30@hotmail.com with the name andrey sawder attached who asks me to send a western union money order to UKRAINE, CHERKASSY IN THE USSR to a man named andrey babievskey before he will ship the knife...i also won another auction by the same guy on four sterling silver knives (table cutlery) for the small bid of 15.00 shipping included....neither of these auctions had a reserve....now i may look stupid but i didn't just fall off the turnip truck and i was literally born at night but not last night...does any one have any experience with this man or can vouch for him?....i smell a rip off artist at work and i need some advice on how to "legally" and gracefully bow out of what i feel is a rip off unless someone has had experience with him and can vouch for him....he has no ratings on the auction and has provided no other means to contact him...as many of you know i am a man of my word and i feel bad about backing out on a deal but something smells awefully fishy and i am not going to just give my hard earned cash away to some dude in russia just to have him laugh all the way to the bank....help me here please guys....feverdoc

[This message has been edited by feverdoc (edited 11-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by feverdoc (edited 11-16-2000).]

I have some oceanside property in Arizona if you are interested.Tell him to pound salt and forget about the transaction.
My .02

------------------

have a"knife"day

If it looks, feels, and smells too good to be true............?
Doc, not only do I consider you to be a great customer, but more importantly you have become a great friend to me.....I know in your career you have to make judgements and decisions based on information everyday with people and that you have excellent wisdom for certain matters.
I cannot personally vouch for this dude myself, but I would be darn nervous about sending my $$ off for these blades! If I am wrong about this individual, I would be the first to admit it, but I think I might hold out for some more information.

------------------
Knives & Things
Mike Payne

ebay insures purchases for up to $200 for purchases not received or received and not meeting the sellers claims.
They also have an escrow service that will hold your payment until you have received your merchandise and inspected it.

Can't comment on the reliability of either, just know they're there.

The escrow service that eBay uses is very good. I used it on a $1500 purchase a few months back without any problems at all. I didn't know the seller, and it was my first purchase on eBay, so the fees I paid were well worth the peace of mind that I wasn't going to lose my money. If the seller is on the up-and-up, he shouldn't mind you using the escrow service - especially if you pay the fees associated with it.

------------------
Kelly
My Custom Knife Collection

Member NCCKG , SCAK, and AKTI

Deo Vindice

thanks for the input/feedback gentlemen....senator the auction was here on blade forums and not on ebay so unfortunately no escrow service is available here....anybody else have an opinion or advice?.....andrey is just going to have to wait for another victim other than me.....feverdoc

Fever Doc
Why don't you ask the seller if they would allow someone to broker the transaction. I am away for the weekend but I would do it for free if the seller would send the knives and you would send the payment with the additional shipping required. This may or may not be an acceptable option for you and or the seller.

Live Well
Ken www.collectorknives.com

I recently got a couple knives at a auction on the internet, the guy selling them only had a rating of 6 which is why I think not many people were bidding. I ended up getting the knife for way below retail. I did receive the knives and although I was real leary of this deal I ended up saving money and being very happy with my new knives.
I can appreciate your position and I would hate to see you get ripped off, but on the other hand you did make a deal, and you probally should have sent this guy a couple emails before the end of the auction to see what you could work out.
I don't want to see you get ripped off, so maybe you could email this guy and explain your dilema. Who knows maybe you can send half now and half when you receive the knife.
Personally I wouldn't have bid on it if I didn't have every intention of paying it.

Sometimes you throw the dice and you takes your chances.Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.Be aware of that before you enter those waters.Someone who has been around the block a few times.Owning a bar for 20 years taught me a lot about human nature.If it seems too good to be true it probably is.
My .02 twice.

------------------

have a"knife"day

Oops, sorry feverdoc. I was sorta continuing Owen's post, which was about the eBay escrow service.
redface.gif
I wonder if there are other online escrow services available that you could use.

i certainly appreciate the input guys...i am going to email the seller and see if we can work something out such as having someone broker the deal or try to get him to ship me the goods (if they really exist) and i will promptly pay upon receiving them or something that we can both agree upon....when i enter an auction or deal i have every intention of seeing it through to the end unless a wrench gets thrown into the gear works and then i will try to compromise fairly....i have learned an important lesson about entering an auction blindly...in the past i have won six auctions and checked the seller's credentials on the feedback section of the auction prior to bidding and all have had very good to excellent ratings AND were located in the usa....in my lust for these material goods i didnt check things out and assumed all would be ok and on the up and up and that i would not be leary if i won....well all that did was make an ass of me.....thanks for your genuine honest input and i will keep you guys updated.....feverdoc

Sorry, I may have been thinking of escrow.com. Heard the name, but never used them.

I've used iescrow with good success. Money is deposited and not released until you receive and email that the item is acceptable. Otherwise you return it and your money is returned to you. If the item never makes it, your money is returned.

Brad

I refuse to deal with Anyone from a nation outside the USA; the exception being Canada! Too many worries i think.

email sent on 11/18/00...i have not heard back from the seller yet....will keep you guys posted....feverdoc

it is now 11/29/00...still have not heard from the seller even with emails to him/her......i now think my initial suspicions were correct...this was a scam...luckily i am not out any money...all auction goers beware of the above named individual in my original post...feverdoc

I don't know Feverdoc, your not talking mucho denero here. I would give it a try for that amount, but then again I like sticking pencils in my ear, and banging my head against the wall.
biggrin.gif
Just a little levity!

Honestly, if the knife looks nice, and the price is right go for it, but I myself do not deal out of the country, except for Canada. Good luck!

<center>
wreath_merrychristmas_lg_clr.gif
</center>

------------------
us_marine_corps_md_clr.gif
BC... For those who fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know... Semper Fi

Back