Need shaving brush and shaving soap recommendation

I do a fair bit of travelling and have often found myself running out of aerosol shaving cream. I thought it would be handy to have a shaving brush and shaving soap in my kit bag as a back-up. Any recommendations for these items that are economically priced? Meaning I don't think I need a brush made from farm-raised virgin badgers. ;) My skin is VERY sensitive and cuts easily so that might have a bearing on which soap you would recommend. Also, I don't like after-shave balms and emollients - too sticky.

Holger,
At the end of last year I went from a Mach 3 to a Dovo Straight razor. I ordered a badger hair shaving brush with a mug. I stopped using regular aerosal shaving foam that you get out of a can. I ordered the Col. Conk Glycerine Shaving Soap. I am on a learning curve right now with the straight razor, so there are times I know I need to learn how to really sharpen the razor. It makes a world of difference.
But in answer to your question..... I would try http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com and order the Col. Conk Glycerine Shaving Soap. I would also go with a good badger hair brush as it makes a world of difference in the preperation of your shaving lather. Even when I use my mach 3 with the shaving soap, I get a smoother and more comfortable shave that I ever got with aerosal shaving cream. I start by lathering my face with a coat of shaving soap that is not so thick but where you cannot see my skin. I shave in a downward motion (using a mach 3) face and neck. Then I reapply the shaving soap, and shave in a upward motion, including neck, face, chin, and upper lip. I have not regretted switching to the shaving soap at all. I shave every morning and afterwards I feel like my mind is clear. I know this is more info. than you were asking, but I love my shaving soap.
Good luck,
Bryan

Thanks, Bryan. I have heard of the Col. Conk line of shaving products and I'll try your recommendations. But - I don't know if I'm ready for a straight razor yet! :eek: Might have to stick with the Mach-3 for a while. ;)

One of the best I've found, is easily obtainable at Target. Proraso (green) and the Proraso Omega boar brush. It'll take a a dozen or so uses to get the horrid smell out of the boar bristles, but it's worth it. While I'm partial to my custom silvertip badger brush a friend made for me, the Omega works well, and I love the Proraso. You can also check out classicshaving.com, and they have a wide selection of brushes, mugs, and soaps. I like the Col. Conk soaps, too, but if you want something you can pick up at almost any Target (in the ladies spa section, not the men's shaving section...go figure :confused: ) the Proraso is the way to go, and works magnificently.

Some of the better badger brushes at classic shaving are expensive, but worth it. My cheapo brushes kept losing their bristles and clogging my sink - very frustrating. They make travel brushes that have a cap on them also. I curious as to how people can travel with brushes, though. When you shave in the morning then have to check out of your room, you've got a wet brush to deal with. What then?

If you need to have your razor honed then just contact Warden41272 (Joe Chandler). He does an excellent job of honing, razor regrinding and handle replacement.

I travel with a small travel brush and a Merkur Travel Razor and a little tub of Taylors Shave Cream.

It sounds like all you want is a portable shaving cream. In a pinch I have had good success with this and it is brushless. Just apply to a clean and wet face, let it set for 30 seconds and then shave. You do not lather it up nor do you apply it heavily. http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...=153037&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND

If you really want insight into the fine art of shaving; straights and safety razors: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/index.php

....It sounds like all you want is a portable shaving cream.....

That's right! Thanks for the link. :thumbup: (Bought the Proraso stuff about a week ago and finally tried it last night. Smells good, but doesn't seem to whip up much of a lather. Am I doing it wrong or am I just used to the thick aerosol stuff?)

I found the Col. Conk Lime to be less irritating than some of the others and the package says it contains Aloe where the others don't.

....but doesn't seem to whip up much of a lather....

Tried again last night. Have I seen too many movies where some guy lathers up a storm with a brush and then slaps a 2-inch thick layer of lather on his face, or am I doing something wrong? Achieved just a thin covering layer that dried out in spots by the time I was halfway through shaving. :confused:

That's pretty much my experience. You have to keep re-applying.

Since Christmas, i've been using the Burma Shave brush and William's shaving soap from WALMART. Under $6.00 for both before tax and USA made as far as I can figure. I don't know how well it compares with the more expensive brushes, etc., but I like it alot better than the spray can stuff. And the brush is still hanging in there, has not fallen apart yet. I don't bother with a mug, but rub the soap right on my face and work it into a lather with the brush; and it does take a little more work than I initially thought it would to get the lather right. I don't think the depth of the lather is as important as its consistency, etc., and as I work it with the brush it gets thicker (think viscosity, not inches) and seems to lubricate better. I woud guess the actual layer thickness of the lather to be 1/4" or so. Also, for the best results I find it necessary to hydrate the face really well before applying the soap (lots of water or a hot towel).

A badger brush is much better than the boar bristle, smells better too. Williams soap works well, but so do others mentioned here, use it in any mug it will fit into--no need to buy something special. The old barber's saying was "well lathered, half shaved," and as guyfalks points out it is worthwhile to spend the time working up some suds. I use a Merkur safety razor and it works well, doesn't clog as much as the multi blades I had been using and costs less per blade.

Is it just me or does a straight razor seems a little more easy on the mind than more blades? I feel more comfortable with a pocket knife shaving than a multi blade fusion razor.

Back