1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need sheath advice, please.

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by weo, Apr 1, 2018.

1. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Hello all. Here's my latest completion. I'd like to make a sheath to include before I put it up for sale, but to date I've only made pouch sheaths and I'm pretty sure that won't work for this style.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure I need a safety strap around the bolster, but I don't like snaps on a sheath. So what do I do?

Thanks

as always
    peace and love
    billyO

2. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    Actually if I was handed that knife for a sheath, a deep seat pouch style is exactly what I would make for it tailored to show the blade shape. An example is shown below. Fully lined with Deer skin and a simple basketweave tooling pattern. The deep seat of the knife makes any retention straps, snaps etc, totally unnecessary. I didn't photograph the back of the sheath, but there is roll to the back integral belt loop hidden back there

Paul 100_2895.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Rick Otts, bike4fun919 and Yonose like this.
  3. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Thanks, Paul. I've never lined a sheath with deer skin. What's the benefit?

4. sheathmaker

May 18, 2005
    The benefit is it creates the perception of higher quality work in the eyes of the consumer. Many of the makers don't bother to line their work. The lining kind of sets that work apart, and the real tangible benefit is if you are working with very expensive knives as I do then the softer Deer skin or other top grain linings help protect the blade from scratches and other abrasive damage or wear.

Based on today's leather prices, lining a sheath makes the material cost just about exactly double. Lighter weight leathers used to be scaled cheaper, but now everything (weight wise) is the same price per foot. 2/3 costs exactly the same as 7/8 or 8/10 etc.

Finally after so many years of never making anything that was not fully lined....my customers just kind of expect it from me. Your experience may be different.

Paul

5. weo

Sep 21, 2014
    Thanks Paul.

On a mildly related note, pretty much all I do is damascus and not stainless, and to prevent rust, I wipe my blades with camelia oil. Is it a good idea (or bad) to give the inside of the sheath a coat of oil so that the blade gets a dose each time it is put in the sheath?

~billyO

6. weo

Sep 21, 2014
    double post, sorry.

7. sheathmaker

May 18, 2005
    I can't speak from experience because Im have never oiled the inside of my sheaths, but logic leads me to believe if you do put oil or any other attractant to grime, dust ,dirt or foreign debris it could easily be a recipe for disaster. Common sense tells me to keep the inside of the sheath dry and if it does get wet be sure to air dry it for an extended period before reinserting the knife. The light coat of oil you put directly on your blades shouldn't have much effect on the interior of your sheath or at least that has been my experience.

Finally anything I write here is my personal opinion and the way I see and do things. I do not intended to imply my way is the only way or even the best way........it's just MY way.

Paul

8. weo

Sep 21, 2014
    That makes sense. Thank you.

And just because it's your way doesn't mean it's not the right way....

~billyO