Need sheath designer

Sal Glesser

Spyderco is looking into fixed blade designs for possible future production.

We are also seeking recommendations for several sheath designers as we would like to create "Spyderco" sheaths. Any names & numbers would be appreciated.

Keeping in with the Spyderco goal, we would require our sheaths have the ability to "consistantly deliver reliable high performance". Superior design in both function & materials necessary. Patent or patentability nice, but not necessary.

Thank you for your support.

sal

Sal,

Mike Sastre has done some of the best stuff I've seen for clipits. His fixed blade stuff I have found as good.

Of course, there are others too. Why not send out a prototype to possible designers and see what they come up with. The best design gets the nod and big contract with Spyderco.
smile.gif

sing

AKTI #A000356

Sal,

How about Tim Wegner at Blade-Tech. Sort of keep it in the family(?)

Besides, what could be better for the (I hope) soon to be produced Wegner fixed blade?

Mike

Sal:
Where did they get the faux CF Military neck sheaths they were selling at the Spyderco store? Mike Sastre also? They work slick, I dont think I've ever deployed a blade that quick. Hope I never need to in a stress situation, but it's nice to know you can!!

Thanks,
Greg
cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Greg G (edited 07-30-2000).]

Sal,

Hmmm...I was wondering the same thing, when I read your question here...WHY NOT Tim Wegner's Blade-Tech for your sheath?

I know Tim fairly well, and have found him to be a very great guy to do business with. (I live only about 70 miles away from the Blade-Tech "factory", so I have had the luxury of stopping-in and having "chats" with Tim, while my Glock holsters were being made...HE even hand-made a Kydex pouch for my S&W hinged handcuffs for me.).

Since he and Spyderco have "worked-together" in the past, why should you need to look BEYOND Blade-Tech???

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

Glockman - Tim does excellent work, and we may end up with Tim. But, sometimes there's an unknown designer with great ideas.

Buck was the best game in town when we introduced the Clipit.

sal

How about Normark?

------------------
The thorn stands to defend the Rose, yet it is peaceful and does not seek conflict

Sal
How about Dave Elderton of Ky-tac Holsters ?He does outstanding work and is true to his word. I can Email you with his phone number if you want. He would do a good job for you .
------------------
All it takes for the forces of evil to rule the world is for good men to do nothing...Edmund Burke

[This message has been edited by Royo (edited 07-31-2000).]

Waxless (Matt Draper). You can find info on his bali sheaths over at the bali forum. He also does great work for fixed blades, so I'm told. E

For kydex I would have to recommend Normark or Mike Sastre. Gary Graley for leather.

------------------
Dennis Bible

"But, sometimes there's an unknown designer with great ideas." - Sal

Blade Forums' "grnamin". Have seen some pictures of his sheath designs. Great leather and kydex sheaths from a new designer.

2d_edge
AKTI Member # A001059
My Knives Photos

---------------------
"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty but only the pig enjoys it."

Sal, you can also try "SIDEARMOR" who makes absolutely the best Glock holsters. Their URL is "http://sidearmor.net/" or go to Glocktalk "http://www.glocktalk.com/" and find the Sidearmor link there.

They use CAD/CAM computer programs and CNC machining in the manufacturing of the Glock holsters.

I would second (third? fourth? fifth?) Mike Sastre. Based on the sheath that I have from him, he does the best work I've seen in any polymer sheath, other than me (seriously, I do my own; most of the sheaths I have gotten either from custom or production makers/manufacturers I end up doing another sheath myself; probably the friggin' engineer in me).

And I'm NOT recommending myself, I wouldn't want that hassle. Just that the only person that I have gotten a sheath from that I have REALLY been totally satisfied with is Mike, and that includes at least one sheath from Blade-Tech. I have not gotten a sheath from Normark, however. Nor Running-Dog (which, by the way, appear to have some really nice sheaths).

------------------
iktomi

SKUNKWORKS CONCEALMENT SOLUTIONS...
they make our GUNTING Sheaths-holsters.
forward grip, reverse grip and shoulder..
Great KYDEX, no stress points with rivets...
Just spent 5 days at SKUNKWORKS watching, listening and being VERY impressed. Turns out Frank forges some mean knives as well.

Back