Need some cartridge advice

What cartridge would you use for deer in South Carolina?

• 300 Win Mag/Win Short Mag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .30-06

Votes: 14 50.0%

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other .30 cal, please explain below

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Not .30 cal, please explain below

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
That will be a heavy rifle. Consider the weight when you have to carry the rifle and the deer back to your transportation. A medium barrel and 20" long will save a lot of weight.
For sure.
My first "do it all" rifle was a Rem. 700 sps tactical with 20" tapered barrel. After adding HS Precision stock, steel base & rings, bipod and 4-14x50 glass it weighed in right around 13 pounds. Great rifle that got sold after a couple seasons of hunting with it. My current setup is right around 9 pounds. Just right for the type of "do it all" bolt action I like.

I'm more of a shooter, and not really a hunter, so you may want to take anything I say with a grain of salt. :D

I have a 30-06 that is nice, all around rifle. I grew up in the South, and that was considered the gold standard hunting cartridge, by many, and for good reason. But, I also have a .308 that is equally great. It's versatile, and very accurate (with my hand loads) out to 1000 yards. Plus, it is a short action rifle, which means faster cycling of the action, and it will save you a little weight. I'm quite confident it would be a very capable hunting cartridge for anything in the whitetail deer size.

Good luck with your new rifle!

For what you're after, I'd say .308 will be the one. Less felt recoil than the .30-06 and only about 100-200fps less mv than a similar barrel length/bullet grain weight.
.308 gives you versatility, you can get ammunition easily and you can affford to drop the barrel length and rifle overall weight without having a 'kick like a mule' rifle as you would if you dropped the barrel length and lightened a .30-06.
.300WM is just overkill for your needs and is expensive to feed.

8.5 lb before a scope. There is also a 20” version that takes off a pound. I’m going to hunt on a buddies farm, so weight is less of a concern. I can easily leave the rifle, handle the deer, and come back to grab my gun later. Figure the 24” gives me a bit of extra velocity, but I’m open to changing my mind and going with the 20” if it’s worth it.
I wouldn't be concerned about velocity unless you plan to do a lot of target work at 500 yards and greater. If you want more barrel for the weight, making it soft shooting, that's a different story. If you go 30-06 or any magnum, I would definitely get the long barrel. If you get .308, you won't need the extra weight and if you are able to get a threaded barrel and add a comp. or suppressor, even better.

Ultimately, get the one you want. Sometimes, you just want what you want!😉

I wouldn't be concerned about velocity unless you plan to do a lot of target work at 500 yards and greater. If you want more barrel for the weight, making it soft shooting, that's a different story. If you go 30-06 or any magnum, I would definitely get the long barrel. If you get .308, you won't need the extra weight and if you are able to get a threaded barrel and add a comp. or suppressor, even better.

Ultimately, get the one you want. Sometimes, you just want what you want!😉
Both the 20” and 24” have threaded barrels, so putting a brake on is easy. If the extra 4” doesn’t get me much, then I don’t need the extra pound and a bit.

I don't know about a .306 but i would prefer the .308. 300WM is more a long range sniping round. The .308 can also shoot 7,62x51 NATO rounds so very versatile. The 30-30 has limited bullet selection due to the need for a flat nosed bullet profile for use in leverguns.

I agree with the majority here, 308 will likely serve you best.

I've been kind of looking for a Ruger Scout Rifle in 308 but am not having much luck. I read an article recently in Rifle magazine that really talked it up. Lots of options for optics and comes with decent irons.

I take a 30-06 elk hunting and lately have been shooting whitetails with much success with a 243. The softer recoil of the 243 is nice, for sure, it's a pretty good all-around cartridge.

If your going to be stalking and walking, having a light rig will help by keeping exertion minimized which translates to steadier shots.

If posting, a heavier rifle will be more stable.

Wait a sec. Do you shoot regularly? With what? Better a cartridge you're handy with than one that'll just jar your teeth loose. For deer within 100 meters, anything stronger than 30-30 will do. Animals don't evolve as fast as cartridges do.

I never thought much about a .308, being in love with the 7x57 Mauser. But some years ago an old-timer told me, “If America ever goes communist, it won’t be feasible to outlaw guns. There’s too many of ‘em already out there. What they’ll do is outlaw ammo.

But whatever the military is using, there’ll still be that ammo around. You might have to beg, cheat or steal for it, but it’ll still be out there when all the hunting ammo is gone.”

Parker

Wait a sec. Do you shoot regularly? With what? Better a cartridge you're handy with than one that'll just jar your teeth loose. For deer within 100 meters, anything stronger than 30-30 will do. Animals don't evolve as fast as cartridges do.
30-30 has killed more deer than any other cartridge. Within 200 yards it will do just fine.

I like the 30-06 or the 308. The 30-06 works best with a traditional bolt action, while the 308 is the one to go to for semi auto actions. Both rounds are very versatile, widely available and capable of harvesting anything in North America.

The 30-30 is a really nice gun too. But, best at shorter ranges and limited in loading. So if you are going to be a one gun guy, 308 and 30-06 offer many more options.

n2s

I was honestly leaning that way. Mil-surp ammo will let me practice marksmanship and save the expensive stuff for hunting.
I'm not too sure I would do that either. I've got an old Winchester 88 in 308 and tried to shoot surplus ammo and the 7.62 cartridge I fired didn't want to extract from the rifle. I believe the two cartridges have different pressures and maybe specs as well. It may work in a bolt gun just depends on your chamber specs also. I'd stay away from Mil-surp and just use factory hunting ammo. Oh! the 308 or 3006 would be my caliber of choice to pick up if I were you. I also blew up an HK91 shooting Mil Surp so I have a little experience, I guess. Good luck on your new rifle and hunting excursion. :thumbsup:

I'd go with .308. You have much better ammo selection and (hopefully some day) availability. You can also get rifles with short actions for .308, which you cannot for .30-06 and .300WM.

I'm not too sure I would do that either. I've got an old Winchester 88 in 308 and tried to shoot surplus ammo and the 7.62 cartridge I fired didn't want to extract from the rifle. I believe the two cartridges have different pressures and maybe specs as well. It may work in a bolt gun just depends on your chamber specs also. I'd stay away from Mil-surp and just use factory hunting ammo. Oh! the 308 or 3006 would be my caliber of choice to pick up if I were you. I also blew up an HK91 shooting Mil Surp so I have a little experience, I guess. Good luck on your new rifle and hunting excursion. :thumbsup:

My standard M1A has no issues with either, I tried many different Nato rounds, and around half a dozen of 308 variants. Saves lots of money on the ammo. Pretty accurate rifle too, and no "bullet button" needed here in CA .... just saying.

(BTW, cool user name, d762nato :) )

sticking with the 30's, I'd look at .308 and 30-06, with my personal preference being .308.
Hunting whitetail here in VA, my go to is .243 (and/or 6mm) and I've never needed anything more.
you almost can't go wrong with whatever you pick (so long as its legal where you hunt), whitetail aren't too difficult to take down and don't generally require really long shots.
I think my longest shot when actually in the woods is about 80 yards, hunting on farm fields I've stretched a couple out over 200, but rarely.

Back