need some skinny on Burr Oak Knives

Greetings y'all. I ran into a custom maker named Mark Nevling who goes by Burr Oak Knives. I saw some of his work and was impressed by the look. His card says he works in W-2,5160,52100, and damascus. I am not very informed on these steels (yet). I liked his stuff with the exception of his blades being very thick. Has anybody dealt with him and/or have any of his blades? Any opinions on these steels? Thanking you all in advance for your replies,

Regards, Mongo

Mark Nevling is one heck of a nice guy. Good maker too. I have been watching his progress as a knifemaker for several years, and he is getting pretty good. His fit and finish is still in need of a little work, but certainly not bad. I dont think he does any handrubbing of his knives, as I only recall his knives with a fine grit belt finish. He only uses good steels that he can forge. No stainless steels. Bottom line: Great users with good materials. Do not expect perfect grinds or super fine fit and finish, but then again he doesnt charge high dollar prices either.

C'mon, Danbo - Mark's improvement over the last couple of years is definitely notable. When he really tries, he can even come up with a clean solder joint these days! :)

Mark is an extremely nice guy who has a serious passion for making knives. I have several of his pieces, and really enjoy hanging out with him at shows.

Attachments

• nevling.jpg
    nevling.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 89
Ok Brian, I'll admit that his work is better than just good. Now, if only we can get him to show up with only about 10 super finely finished knives on his table, instead of a couple of dozen good ones.

Back