need vacuum pump.

I need a vacuum pump for veneering and also fiberglass work.
I need a source for an inexpensive vacuum pump or better, for a lifelong scrounger like myself, a place to scrounge and adapt a pump.
I'm sure this is a bigger vacuum pump than most knifemakers use but I've found that nowhere is there a better source for mechanical and technical information of all kinds than from knifemakers. Can't hurt to ask.
And tips or sources appreciated.

Old automotive air conditioning compressor, hooked up to an electric motor.
That's one type anyway.

If you have an air compressor that can deliver 90 psi you can get a brand new venturi type vacuum pump from harbor freight for about $12. If you need to hold a vacuum in a vessel just install a small ball valve in your vacuum line somewhere. What I like about it is there's no moving parts so it should never wear out. It's a bit noisy in operation but for that price who's going to complain?

I have one I could give you but the shipping from Alaska would probably be to much.The one I am using was given to me when I bought a 54 chevy sedan delivery.It was in the guys shed and he said he picked it up at the dumpster site.This weekend is the university auction and they always have pumps that go cheap.
Chuck

thanks for the good advice.
As I'm sure you're well aware to feel comfortable with any resin be it epoxy or glass a cure that is not too quick and not too slow is best. My concern with the large piece (150 sq foot boat cabin top being removed and re-cored) was to get it bagged and up to pressure asap to excrete as much excess resin as possible asap. I feel too much resin causes as much failures in product as to little.
Good tight plumbing and a decent pump that can hold the vacuum is fine. The addition of another scrounged pump from ac to help bring it up quickly sounds real good to me.
Side note to George.
A few years back you showed me your first attempts at knifemaking at the knife show in Marlboro. It's great seeing where you've gone with it.

Thanks. Tom, I also recall your words of advise. Hope to see you again. We will have are first club table (NECKA) at the NCCA show in Marlboro on Aug. 10. I'll be manning it in the AM. You also have a open invite to come down to my shop.

Back