Neem Handled Giant Seax

I did want to show off the whole set of Neem Handled blades that are in the "Fabulous Warthog Collection of Edged and other Non-Firearm Weapons" (FWCEANFW), so far. :D I want to do this so that I can show you the way the BLO & TO has, as time has passed, continued to develop the inner beauty of this sweet looking wood. Here are those pictures then...

main.php

note the bottom handle, this is the "oldest" one a is on the second Tamang I bought...
main.php

When the Tamang first arrived, it looked like this...
main.php

then, after it was first oiled up it wound up like this... :)
main.php

So... I am hopeful that the two new ones on the YCS Karda and the Giant Seax will also continue to develop over time. As I mentioned, there are places, especially on the one side of the GS, that sort of disappointed me in the way the grain failed to "pop". I had not really noticed the way the Tamang had gone on like this until I had gotten the new ones and decided to go back and take a really good look at it.

I must ask at this point, am I the only one who really digs Neem? :confused:

I like Rosewoods too... I love the reddish brown woods with strong grain, who wouldn't?

This is just my "something for a change" wood...

If I could get more of them, I would MUCH rather get Dhar handles (like the center Tamang) but last I asked Yangdu, she said the supply of it had been exhausted. I hope that they can score another bunch of it someday because it is some really nice stuff once it is oiled up.

I do want to say something concerning Satisal though... I tried to redo a handle by sanding the heck out if it first, then ding my regular treatment and then I did another one, this time before I sanded the heck out of it (both were rough feeling and needed their heck removed anyway ;)), I washed off the rouge first. I found the rouge really does soak in, to really get the best out of your satisal, wash the rouge out of it first as sanding alone may seem like you got all of it but some of it seems to remain no matter how hard you try.

Warty if the shipping or import/exports weren't painfully expensive I'd love to send some birdseye maple to be used for handles. That stuff gets real neat when properly finished. To me cocobolo is like an old friend, I started with it and beyond being beautiful its comforting because I know how it is going to behave. I'm getting a start on my 12" CAK this weekend and have some sweet cocobolo picked out. I may do walnut rods in place of copper or brass pins:eek:

I feel the same way about Cocobolo, really. All of m y revolvers sport Coco grips save one and that one has cocobolo highlights. One thing I have done is to used Micarta pins, red, orange or brown dependent of the wood's main color characteristics.

hi:)
that giant seax is just awesome:)
have you ever tryed chopping with it?
how does it perform?
thanks

not really a chopper, more of a General Purpose knife if you ask me.
has plenty of heft if you really must chop with it though.
I just prefer to use my Tamang or the Parang (or for heavy chopping a Khuk) when I chop.

Back