Neil Ostroff - Severe fall on ice!

Neil is one of the folks in our industry who always makes sure to speak and be genuinely friendly with makers and customers at shows whether or not he was doing any business with you at that show. He is definitely one of the good guys. Speedy recovery to you!

Neil sent me a short note. In it he was appreciative of the overwhelming kind remarks and response from the forum posts and emails.

Unfortunately, he is NOT recovering at the rate he would wish. He mentioned he is simply too weak to go back to the doctor or dentist for a followup, and that nausea, dizziness, blinding headaches are still with him. Ugghhhh.

What he asked me to ask you is still more of the same: Patience and good vibes.

DO NOT EMAIL HIM FOR A RESPONSE OR CALL, even though you mean well. He is on overload right now with emails. If you have a knife order, he would *like* to be able to get to it by next Monday (Jan 3rd), but we'll see.... Expect delays.

His son and wife are taking proper care of him, but the business phone is ringing off the wall. (I hope I am preaching to the choir, here).

Again, I'll let you know what I know. He has chosen me to be his intermediary, and I'm helping in this small way.

Thank you for all you have done in thoughts. :)

Coop

Wishing you the best, and speedy recovery, there's a lot of knife shows coming up!! :D

STeven Garsson

Well, it has been 8 days since I fell and almost split my head wide open- I am now 75% back to normal and feeling much better. I expect to be back at full strength on Monday morning.

To all who posted here on this thread, I want to express my heartfelt thanks for your kindness and wishes. I do not remember much from the onset and while I was in the hospital- (perhaps that is for the best). You guys helped me get through those days following when I was feeling so sick.

I was checking online periodically, and although it was difficult (especially when you are seeing three “floating laptops” at the same time) your comments really helped.

My thanks to Coop for being my voice during this and to all the BFC members who were so thoughtful.

Thanks again,

Neil Ostroff

Good to have you back amongst us, Neil..... :cool:

Take it easy and keep us posted.

This is the post I have been hoping for! Great news, Neil. We're all glad you're on the recovery. :)

Coop

Neil, I hope that crack in your skull didn't let the screw fall out that was loose! :cool:

Good to see you back, my friend!

Holio Molio

Neil,

So glad to hear you are on the mend. Had me worried there. Head injuries are nothing to take lightly.

Neil, take whatever time it takes to recover and DON"T over do anything. You take care of YOU. The rest of us will gladly wait. Glad to see you up so quickly.

Without trying to steal Neil's thunder, I'm sure he doesn't mind sharing the misery, since, well, you know... :)

About 3 years ago, when my wife and I got married, the day after our wedding, we embarked on a 7 day Carribean cruise for our Honeymoon, on the 2nd day, we were on shore in St. Thomas. We went into the Hard Rock Cafe because I have a buddy who collects Hard Rock pins, plus, I usually try to buy a HRC baseball cap from wherever we travel to, so, while my wife is looking around for a pin and hat, my back was hurting pretty bad from the walking we had done, there was a chair nearby, not at a table or anything, so, I sat down for a minute, well, immediately, a HRC emplyeee told me I couldn't sit there, rather than argue, I decided we'd just walk outside and find a spot to sit for a minute, well, as soon as we exited the doors, it had rained and the bare concret was slippery, my sneakers slipped completely out from under me, and my head fell straight down, from my near 7 foot tall height, directly onto the concrete, my wife told me later it sounded like somebody had split a coconut. I apparently lost consciousness, and when I finally opened my eyes, I didn't know where we were, what had happened, nor that my wife was my wife! Imagine that, how my wife must have felt, wondering if her 2 day old husband in a split second had become a vegetable. :) (Not a big stretch for me though...) :)

Now, the story I related above, is from what my wife tells me, since I have no memory of that day, my WEDDING, nor my wedding night, or honeymoon for that matter, nor do I remember anything for a couple of days before and after the fall. I had amnesia, though, as it turned out, thankfully, temporary. My memory of my life before the fall, excepting immediately before is fine, as is my memory now, but the fall, and a few days before and after, I still to this day have zero memory of. The cruise ship of course left without us, we were stuck in St. Thomas in the hospital for another week, until I was OK to fly home, then we had trouble since my passport was on the shp which had sailed away.... Anyway, the doctors said I had suffered a severe concussion with amnesia. To this day, my wife swears we ARE married though... :)

Now THAT is one heck of a honeymoon story, which just happens to be true. :)

Sorry Neil, but your concussion got me thinking of my own. :)

Not to sound like a know it all or anything, but wanted to share some things I have learned. My wife recently broke her pelvis and sacrum from being thrown from one of our horses. She was about 5-6' in the air, horizontal, and flew for probably 8". She landed on her side, which is actualy a good place to land. I told her that without fail she WILL learn how to fall. I know it sounds funny, but there is an art to it. It has saved me countless times. Working with horses will see to it you have a few moments of hang time, and I have had my share. Thanks to my Martial arts backgound however, I have not sustained one injury.

My suggestion is to take a couple of years of Judo, Aiki-do or Jujutsu. They will teach you to fall properly, to the point of it being second nature. Not to mention it is huge fun to practice these arts. I know, why take two years to learn something you may never use. Trust me, the benefits go far beyond just preparing for a fall someday, but that is oen of the perks anyway. Just a thought, but falling IS a skill, and it will serve you all your life.

I am not trying to say "If you knew how to fall this wouldn't have happened", just offering some well won advise. Accidents happen, and Neil and Ari's incidents could have been fatal without much difference in the circumstances.

Anyway, just a thought I wanted to share.

Back