Nepalese Earthquake

Yeah, you can say that again. Here's to hoping there are no aftershocks, and that no else will suffer or die if they occur. Peace.
David

Nepal is sitting right on top of the biggest slow-motion crash the world has ever seen.

Events like this take a larger death toll in Nepal and India than they do in the US, due to the fact that many homes and buildings are not built to a code.

I heard of that before. The Indo-China tectonic plate is being crushed into the Indian plate, and that is apparently how the Himalayans were formed, and are continuing to grow. Terrible stuff....... Peace.

GANGTOK, India (AP) — Rescue workers dug through mudslides as they struggled Monday to reach thousands of villagers cut off by a powerful earthquake that killed at least 53 people and damaged more than 100,000 homes in mountainous northeastern India, Nepal and Tibet.

Heavy rains slowed the relief effort and made conditions miserable for many homeless villagers as they prepared to spend the night outside.

Three emergency workers were killed in the frantic rescue effort, Indian Home Secretary R.K. Singh said. More than 6,000 army and paramilitary troops were working to clear concrete slabs, bricks and mud to rescue scores of people trapped under houses that collapsed when the 6.9-magnitude quake struck the Himalayan region Sunday evening.

Nine helicopters dropped food to villages, airlifted a medical team, evacuated the injured and conducted damage assessments, Singh said. Heavy construction equipment was used to clear some of the blocked roads, he said.

"The rescue and relief operations are in full swing though they were hampered ... by poor weather," Singh said.

By midday Monday, workers had managed to clear mudslides from one lane of the main highway leading to the Indian state of Sikkim, where the quake was centered near the Nepal border, Singh said. An initial convoy of 75 paramilitary soldiers started moving toward Mangan, the village closest to the epicenter, but still had not arrived by evening.

At least 32 people died and 100 others were injured in Sikkim, Singh said. At least 10 of them worked for the same hydroelectric project, but it was not immediately clear how they died.

Seven other people were killed in the neighboring Indian states of Bihar and West Bengal, Singh said.

China's official Xinhua News Agency reported seven deaths and 24 injuries in Tibet. It said the quake triggered hundreds of landslides that disrupted power and water supplies.

Nepal's government said seven people died there, including two men and a child who were killed when a brick wall toppled outside the British Embassy in the capital, Katmandu. Nearly 70 people were injured, some of them seriously, and were in hospitals across Nepal.

Most of the deaths in India occurred when houses, already weakened from recent monsoon rains, collapsed due to the force of the quake. More than 100,000 homes were damaged in Sikkim state alone, state officials said.

Singh said it was still unclear what the final toll might be.

"There may still be villages where people are trapped under collapsed houses that we have not been able to reach," he said.

TV broadcasters showed footage of buildings buckled, sidewalks cracked and two major roads collapsed in Gangtok, Sikkim's capital, 42 miles (68 kilometers) southeast of the quake's epicenter. Police cordoned off the office of the state's top elected official after the building was severely damaged, police Chief Jasbir Singh said.

In West Bengal state, utility workers toiled to restore power to a large swathe of the state which plunged into darkness after power lines were snapped by the quake.

The region has been hit by major earthquakes in the past, including in 1950 and 1897.

___

Report today Maybe a reiteration of previous post.

Just got word from my cousin who is currently in Nepal. She rode this one out in the mountains above Pokhara, with an Everest beer in her hand, while taking to a Gorkha.

This earthquake hit my home-state of Sikkim (India) particularly hard. The epicenter was in Northwestern Sikkim bordering Nepal and many parts of this region remain cut off over a week after the earthquake. My hometown, Gangtok (capital of Sikkim), escaped with less damage than initially feared but here too, some buildings are crumbling and crashing several days after the earthquake. My brother spent this past weekend helping his in-laws evacuate their hotel as buildings next door crashed and several more next door were increasingly crumbling down. Further north, entire towns and villages are totally flattened. Roads still remain cut off by massive landslides everywhere. It's still raining heavily. Sikkim is very mountainous with hardly any open space. Only way to reach the plains of India is through a handful of roads winding through steep hillsides, all of which are heavily damaged. There are no airstrips, only a few helipads scattered here & there so rescue teams have to slog it out on foot or be dropped by helicopters, which are further hampered by the bad weather. There have been no news from remote villages and hamlets deep in the mountains. Helicopters sent to drop food packages to some areas are returning without dropping anything - nobody down below to drop stuff to, only the rubble of destroyed homes. Conflicting reports are coming out about the several hydropower projects being built on the Sikkim rivers - the companies are saying the damages were minimal but survivors coming out from those areas speak of collapsed tunnels, dead workers scattered everywhere among the rubble, etc . These projects were controversial to start off with, they'll be even more unpopular now.

Thankfully, the area closer to the epicenter is sparsely populated, so the death toll will probably not run into the thousands as it may have if the epicenter had happened closer to the densely populated areas of the Indian plains, but the damage and trauma to our people is deep and will be felt for ages to come. And to think we're still waiting for the BIG one to strike, which is overdue in this part of the Himalayas!

All my family members are thankfully safe, although my mom got a scare - she was traveling from Darjeeling to Gangtok when the earthquake hit. Her driver just managed to reverse her car when the entire mountainside in front of them came crashing down (rocks, trees, mud) burying the area where they were seconds ago - a car in front of them got swept down the hillside, they pulled the sole survivor, a child, the next morning. I was in Thimphu (Bhutan) with my wife's family during the earthquake. We didn't feel it as hard as in Sikkim, although it did feel longer than ones I've experienced previously.

Here's a recent report by an Indian TV news channel on the current situation in Sikkim:
http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/news/sikkim-the-road-to-recovery/211785

Back