• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

net to me?

Can anyone tell me what it means when a seller says the price is "net to me"?
I just say a small Sebenza with this in the listing.

Thanks,
Red

It essentially means the seller would like you to cover the PayPal fees. You can do that by adding an additional 3% (I believe that's the rate) on top of the transaction.

It means the seller wants their asking price and any fees above would be on you.

This in my opinion is silly and/lazy. Why not just include the fees in your asking price and be done with it?

This in my opinion is silly and/lazy. Why not just include the fees in your asking price and be done with it?

I don't see it as silly or lazy. I perfer not to use paypal, but it isn't a deal breaker. Why charge someone more for using a Postal Money Order, when there is less overhead?

I see it all the time:
$100 shipped....

Add 3.2755555% for fees

Why not just make it $103.28?

Yep...........just give me the bottomline to my door, that's all I care about.

When I get bids or when dealing with primarily out-of town business's via phone or on the 'net, I make it a point to have the potential seller give me only a 'to-my-door' figure. I intentionally buy from and seek out companies that only advertise the total amount to your door. Makes life alot easier......IMHO and IMHE.

All else is twaddle..........

Part is about bottom price, if I "need" $100 for an item, the best payment would be Postal Money Order. So if someone only uses paypal....that's fine, but I still need the $100 and they need to cover the fees. I see it as offering best price and convenience of choice for the buyer. Why charge someone paypal fees if they are sending a money order?

so if you "need" $100, sell the item for $110 shipped and offer a $5 discount for postal money order.

to the OP -- "net" means he wants his asking price plus fees and shipping. sort of like the posted price on an item at the store -- that's their net price, sales tax will be added at checkout.

Part is about bottom price, if I "need" $100 for an item, the best payment would be Postal Money Order. So if someone only uses paypal....that's fine, but I still need the $100 and they need to cover the fees. I see it as offering best price and convenience of choice for the buyer. Why charge someone paypal fees if they are sending a money order?
You wouldn't charge someone paypal fees if they are sending a money order. But then again, you are receiving money theough paypal, why would you charge the buyer for you receiving money. That is the part that makes no sense. Post #11 makes the most sense. The cost of doing business I guess. I know a lot of members here that will not buy an item they want if the seller tries to pile the fees on top of the asking price. To that end, it's not a complete asking price.

3pce9o.jpg

I see it all the time:
$100 shipped....

Add 3.2755555% for fees

Why not just make it $103.28?

Yep...........just give me the bottomline to my door, that's all I care about.

When I get bids or when dealing with primarily out-of town business's via phone or on the 'net, I make it a point to have the potential seller give me only a 'to-my-door' figure. I intentionally buy from and seek out companies that only advertise the total amount to your door. Makes life alot easier......IMHO and IMHE.

All else is twaddle..........

For a $100 item it doesn't really matter (~$3) but when the dollar amounts get higher it might. It gives the buyer an option; you can either pay with regular PP and pay 3% more or you can pay with PP gift/ MO and not pay 3% more.

That said, there are much more elegant and user friendly ways of saying it. For example, saying "$400 shipped PP or $380 PP gift / mo / cash in an envelope / carrier pigeon" is a good way. Its super easy for the buyer (e.g. he doesn't have to whip out a calculator) and everyone knows exactly what's expected of them.

I think it sounds better than asking for paypal gift..... which is what I think sellers imply when they state, "net to me".

When a buyer sees that, most don't want to pay the paypal fee, and if they trust the seller based on good feedback they can opt to use the gift option instead. When it comes to pricing it's a psychological game. A person would be more inclined to think it's a better deal when it's $99 as oppose to $101.23, even though it's only $2.23 more.

Just like how saying $99 "net to me" sounds better than $99 + 3% paypal fees. People don't want to pay "fees" :D

I think it sounds better than asking for paypal gift..... which is what I think sellers imply when they state, "net to me".

When a buyer sees that, most don't want to pay the paypal fee, and if they trust the seller based on good feedback they can opt to use the gift option instead. When it comes to pricing it's a psychological game. A person would be more inclined to think it's a better deal when it's $99 as oppose to $101.23, even though it's only $2.23 more.

Just like how saying $99 "net to me" sounds better than $99 + 3% paypal fees. People don't want to pay "fees" :D

THIS

It's also kind of a pain to type in "101.23" vs. just typing "99".

Well if that's the case, to throw it out to other sellers, if I see "$xx paypal gift" in a listing, I won't buy it. I've passed on a knife or two I would have bought otherwise because of that. To be clear, if it's listed "$xx + 3.5% or paypal gift" I won't rule it out, but solely listing paypal gift, which some do, makes me assume you're out to skirt your responsibility if anything goes wrong, no matter how many positive transactions you might have. If "net to me" is code for only paypal gift, I will be skipping over those ads as well.

I think "Net to me" gets to the point and there should be no confusion to what the seller wants to walk away with at the end of the deal.
Certain variables like paypal fees, shipping, international or CONUS, insurance all can alter the final price of the item. "Net to me" simply
means I as the seller want to walk away with this much and any other added fee is covered by the buyer. It gives the buyer the choice to pay
how he wants and pick the shipping method he wants.

Back