Neurotic tendencies

Man do I feel dumb (and neurotic). However, I am going to share this story in hopes that others will share their neurotic/OC stories and make me feel closer to normal...

As any Sebenza owner worth his salt does, I was toying with my small plain a week ago. Nothing unusual happened until I held it (with the blade open) by the back half of the handle and was making fast downward motions in the air and relishing the whoosh sound of the blade slicing oxygen molecules (okay, well maybe its not that sharp!).

As I did so I began to notice a small "tick" or "click" sound that coincided with the exact instant I snaped the knife downward.

EGAD!!! Thinks I, blade play!!! I wiggled the blade up down and sideways, but nothing moved (naturally). I felt slightly better until a few days later I was doing the same thing and there it was again!!

This went on for a week until last night, I was desparately trying to find the source of the HORRID slop in the knife. I performed an intensive investigation and here is what I found:

With the knifeblade in the open position, we all know that the clip and the locking bar have a gap between them. Well guess what? When you swing the opened knife down with a smooth but abrupt motion, your hand instinctively tightens up. This causes the clip to contact the lock bar with a "Tick" or a "Click". Duh.

Okay, this may not seem like any revelation to most of you, but I can assure you, at the time, it was to me! And a relief I might add! And it made me feel pretty stupid too.

At any rate, I bared my soul, now let's hear how neurotic the rest of you are...c'mon don't be shy...share those stories so old Rob can feel better.

By the way if you think I am bad with my Sebenza, you can only imagine how I am with my 2001 BMW...I hear all kinds of mechanical defects, most of which are pure fantasy.

Boy, I need treatment!

Nice story and you really do need treatment. Bye the way I have four Sebenza's and none of them have a gap between the clip and the locking bar when the blade is open. Now that ought to put you into a real relapse mode. :D

Never noticed that, but I keep my clips in a seperate spot from the knives ;)

How about the OC pocket check, everyone does that constantly, right?

Pocket check is a habit, and my clip touches the frame open or closed.

Oh boy now I have something else to worry about! You were supposed to make me feel better.

I am very surprised that with the knife open and the lock engaged none of your Benzas have that gap...must have the new pocket clips (mine's the old).

Looking forward to more fun replies everyone!

It could be possible that you may have sprung out the clip a bit. I have had both the new and old clip styles and both touch the handle in the open and closed positions. Just remove the clip and bend it slightly in a vise (be sure to protect the finish) or with a pair of pliers if it bugs you.

This is a major problem with your knife, and you should immediately send it back to...

Just kidding. :p Clip probably sprung like remster135 said.

-Al-

Nice try guys! Actually I harbor no unreasonable fears that my knife is defective due to the fact that the tension on my clip differs from the norm...yeeesh, now that I put it that way...

Seriously, I am not concerned. I did think that you would find my story amusing and was hoping that I was not alone in obsessing over every detail of the remarkable Sebenza!

No need to obsess. It is so much better than any of my other nice folders that I am seriously satified.

Adjust the clip to fit the material of your pants pocket. Just don't bend it too hard or it will be too tight. The vice method is the best with a thin cloth to spare the finish. If it grabs your pocket good now then it is right. That is the test. I adjusted my large just a hair tighter and my small was just right as it came.

What a supreme piece of work, these Sebenzas.

Anyone notice how whenever you sit dow or stand up or... Your hand reaches to check the knife is still in place? Every time you see a grid on the floor you avoid it just in case...:eek:

Back