Never meet your grail knives?

For me it has been the opposite of some here. Before I started collecting and became a member of BF, I really only had 1 grail knife. A Bob Loveless. However, since being exposed to all of the obsessive knif knuts on BF, I now have a bunch of grail knives. So thanks to all you F*****rs for that! :rolleyes:

For the longest time I would grit my teeth at all the accolades I would hear about CRK and Shiro knives. I thought the prices were outrageous and could not imagining myself paying that kind of money for a knife. Even though I had also been progressing down the knif knut timeline of infection, where once $50 would buy more knife than I would ever need, it now seems perfectly reasonable to plop down $200 for a knife. I still felt that $500 - $1K was absurd. But then I walked into Recon 1 in Tarzana....

After picking up and holding examples of both Sibenza's and Mnandi's, as well as Shirogorov's I can now say I have new grail knives BECAUSE I pick them up and handled them. I can see myself buying any of them and not being disappointed. Of course, I say that without having either the money or the knives. If I had the money, and then have the knife and not the money, I can't say for certain that buyer's remorse might set in.

All I can say is that right now, I have remorse for not having the money in the first place. So the worst case scenario of buyers remorse leaves me with the same feeling I have right now and a new grail knife. Winning!

I have of course been turned on to more grail knives, from my own explorations and BF exposure. I can't predict the same outcome should I ever come into possession of a:
Ron Lake - folder
George Herron - Model 6 drop point
Scott Sawby - Bittern, Swift, or Tern
Stan Wilson - NFF
Jefffery Harkins - Italia
Lone Wolf - Paul Defender
Arbalete G. David - Thiers in Mammoth tooth & Damascus
or even my closest to being bought that I am saving for now...
Arno Bernard - Wild Dog w Mammoth tooth scales.

Sure I may be disappointed if I ever actually get one of these.
I've done a lot of stupider things in my life.

But I haven't done any lately, so I may be due for another anyway.
I'm willing to take that risk! :D

Hey b00n b00n . To be completely honest and offer my own opinion,

I don't think that Shirogorov has the best flipping action, nor do I believe that you should spend that much cash just for flipping action alone. People may disagree with me, and that's fine. I have simply offered an opinion.

My opinion is that Andre Thorburn makes some knives with much better flipping action, but that is if flipping action is your only quality for a grail. Olamic also makes some knives with really great flipping action too, especially if you're looking for a front flipper (Busker model).

Reate has it dialed in too. They absolutely can make a great knife!

Opinions on flipping action also differ from person to person, so take what you read on here with a grain of salt, and that includes what I've said here too.

How can be better , even MUCH better flipping action than MRBS or CD Shirogorov? Is it possible to measure it such or how?

How can be better , even MUCH better flipping action than MRBS or CD Shirogorov? Is it possible to measure it such or how?

I think how much you like the action is subjective to a good degree, a blade can fly out and fall shut like a guillotine and somebody loves that type of action the next person night prefer a little smooth resistance like a Sebenza has.
My ZT's have good action, fly open, drop shut, but the Reate's feel better, the close slower, more...deliberate and controlled.

Not sure I completely agree with that statement.
When I first got married, I was honestly amazed by the woman I married.
And I can truly say that for 18 years now, ever since the divorce, I am still amazed that I ever felt that way in the first place. :confused:

Amazement can last after all.

You shouldn't compare your wife to knives...way too much room for inappropriate puns and questions :D
In any case I am happy you found your grail wife ;) :thumbsup:

As a knife basically is a tool, obtaining a grail knife will always put you in a dilemma.
Will you, as a knife nut, use it for it's great tool properties, considering the rarity and the value it represents? Use will cause wear. Would you dare to dull the edge by actually cutting things, even sharpen it so you depreciate the value as it is no longer BNIB. Suppose you damage it, or heaven forbid - loose it - could you even find or afford another one to replace it with?
Or will you, not being Rockefeller, recognize the grail value and stick it in a display case or a safe, devoid of any use as the superb tool it is, only to be taken out to fondle while mumbling "My precious", satisfying materialistic ownership and bragging rights?

To steer clear of that dilemma, I no longer chase grail knives. Yeah, it is cool to have bragging rights, but in the end, I like a well functioning and good user knife I can sharpen if it needs a touch up, with no worries if I scratch or ding it, and that can be replaced in case of loss.

As a knife basically is a tool, obtaining a grail knife will always put you in a dilemma.
Will you, as a knife nut, use it for it's great tool properties, considering the rarity and the value it represents? Use will cause wear. Would you dare to dull the edge by actually cutting things, even sharpen it so you depreciate the value as it is no longer BNIB. Suppose you damage it, or heaven forbid - loose it - could you even find or afford another one to replace it with?
Or will you, not being Rockefeller, recognize the grail value and stick it in a display case or a safe, devoid of any use as the superb tool it is, only to be taken out to fondle while mumbling "My precious", satisfying materialistic ownership and bragging rights?

To steer clear of that dilemma, I no longer chase grail knives. Yeah, it is cool to have bragging rights, but in the end, I like a well functioning and good user knife I can sharpen if it needs a touch up, with no worries if I scratch or ding it, and that can be replaced in case of loss.

I sometimes have that thought when surveying my collection, that it'd be simple to just move along all my high end stuff and keep some of my knives like my Cold Steel Recon 1, and just use it until it's done and then get some other tough-but-inexpensive knife. But, at the end of the day, I'm a knife collector. I love knives for more reasons than that they are simply useful. I mean, I have multiple knives in my collection which were expensive, and that I'll never use, but I have them just because I enjoy taking them out, fondling 'em, and then putting them away. The joy is in the ownership for me.

But trust me, there ARE days when I think "Man, why do I have all these?" WHY AM I LIKE THIS???? :D

I sometimes have that thought when surveying my collection, that it'd be simple to just move along all my high end stuff and keep some of my knives like my Cold Steel Recon 1, and just use it until it's done and then get some other tough-but-inexpensive knife. But, at the end of the day, I'm a knife collector. I love knives for more reasons than that they are simply useful. I mean, I have multiple knives in my collection which were expensive, and that I'll never use, but I have them just because I enjoy taking them out, fondling 'em, and then putting them away. The joy is in the ownership for me.

But trust me, there ARE days when I think "Man, why do I have all these?" WHY AM I LIKE THIS???? :D

I think grail knives are by definition collectors material. Probably rare and likely expensive, they do not really suit as users.
The only knives I ever collected where Victorinox Alox knives, more specifically black ones. They have been sitting in a display case for years, and every once in a while I blow the dust off. To rare to be used.
irOgxOx.jpg

Some sold over 2 grand on auction.
sLlHf50.jpg

Both xx/50, top one even has a rare manufacturing issue with the marlinspike
drItwDd.jpg

Custom all Damasteel by Andre Perret. I actually carry this one every once in while on special occasions, and due to that, it is no longer pristine.

Unlike grails, my preferred regular daily user knives are expendable.

I think grail knives are by definition collectors material. Probably rare and likely expensive, they do not really suit as users.
The only knives I ever collected where Victorinox Alox knives, more specifically black ones. They have been sitting in a display case for years, and every once in a while I blow the dust off. To rare to be used.
irOgxOx.jpg

Some sold over 2 grand on auction.
sLlHf50.jpg

Both xx/50, top one even has a rare manufacturing issue with the marlinspike
drItwDd.jpg

Custom all Damasteel by Andre Perret. I actually carry this one every once in while on special occasions, and due to that, it is no longer pristine.

Unlike grails, my preferred regular daily user knives are expendable.

Wow, that bottom knife is flat-out amazing. THAT is definitely a grail knife for sure. Just the idea of having a Damascus can opener cracks me up. I could definitely see how those could be collector pieces.

I myself have several ALOX knives, but I collect 'em for the colors. Farmers are my preferred model.

Well I have my grail knives and I still love them. I wanted a Fallkniven HK9 for quite some time. I thought its shape was unique and beautiful. I liked the polished look of the laminated blade. I got one and it is still my go to camping and hunting knife. It just feels profound in my hand, if that makes sense. I couldn't believe that I actually got one and was super stoked, still am.

Next was my grail from childhood. I always wanted a big ol'Bowie! I wanted it hand forged, musso style, full tang, and all beef. I was lucky enough to get a hand forged Freerk Wieringa custom bowie made to my standards. It will be back from the sheath maker this week and I'll put it through more paces, but my initial impression and use had me ecstatic. I think we all have fear that something you get made specifically for yourself will underwhelm, but this Bowie actually blew me away. It was larger, stouter, and felt more substantial than I imagined. I know I will get so much enjoyment from it.

Those were my only grail knives, so I'm not sure. Maybe I'll get another down the line, but for now I am a very happy and grateful man.

Wow, that bottom knife is flat-out amazing. THAT is definitely a grail knife for sure. Just the idea of having a Damascus can opener cracks me up. I could definitely see how those could be collector pieces.

I myself have several ALOX knives, but I collect 'em for the colors. Farmers are my preferred model.

Cheers mate. When I had it commissioned, it truly was one of a kind and a unique piece.
643Y9PL.jpg

A year and a half later, someone else commissioned the exact same knife. So now there are 2. I don't open cans with it, but beers are game.

I have a black Farmer to :)

I think owning or "meeting" your grail knife provides much needed perspective. The first few years I was interested in knives my grail knife was the xm-18. I kept selling and buying knives, but none seem to stick because I was comparing them in my head to the grail knife I was idolozing. Eventually I bought xm-18's and they are amazing knives, but they're just knives. I sold my xm-18's eventually and this experience actually made me appreciate the other knives I own more.

I have had many "Grail" knives over the years. Started with certain customs and Sebenzas etc. I have owned almost all the knives I considered "grail" at some point. I am still on the fence about buying a Kressler or some of the other high end customs. I am pretty much at the I have to build my own grail knife at this point minus a Rockstead that I have yet to hold buy my buy just because of the way there blades are ground and polished (plus you guys that own them seem to love them). I have been disappointed in many knives I was hopeful to own and thought they would be "it" for one reason or another. I have come to find there is no grail knife for me in all likelyhood as I will always find an reason to covet something else.

I'll agree with sharp_edge

A true grail knife is one that fills every need you have for a knife and is unique enough to make it stand above all other knives. As such it will completely fill your desire for knives.

As a boy who was hunting and outdoors crazy my grail knife was a Buck 110.

I'm my early 20s my grail knife was a Benchmade 550 Griptillian.

But I do have my first 110 that's cleaned more squirrels and rabbits than most people could imagine. Couldn't begin to guess how many miles it's rode on my hip out in the woods of east Kentucky. Made many memories with it.

Also have a well used Benchmade 550 sitting on top of my dresser. It's got the battle scars of life. Hardly no paint left on the clip. Several deep scratches on the handle. Lots of fine scratches on the blade. Still sharpens up like a razor. Wouldn't even consider ever getting rid of it. Even though I hardly ever carry it now.

I'm 30 now. Sort of out grown the tactical folder fad. Im back to carrying Bucks. Got a 112 on my hip as I type this. It's an older knife I picked up used. Made in 93. Showing it's age but still ready for anything.

I've got a drawer full of knives including several 110s and 112s but I keep coming back to this old 112. She wouldnt win any beauty contests and I dont think her previous owner appreciated her like I do. We understand each other.

To me a grail knife is what I will carry every day, the knives that do what I want a knife to do. Not a knife that sits in a safe or on display under glass.
The Lion Steel Shuffler has knocked all other traditionals out of my pocket. Carries better, cuts better and holds an edge better than any traditional I've ever had.
The Wasp does what very few modern knives can do, it cuts like a razor. Carried in a sheath with the Lionsteel it rounds out my Grail.
I introduce my working grail.
PyvNe03.jpg

To me the idea of a grail knife is a knife that I lust for but hasn't been yet produced. Let me give you an example. I love Ti as a scale material, and for many years I smoked cigars, and I always carry a small knife on my keychain. My favorite keychain knife is a Spyderco Ladybug. My grail knife was a titanium scaled Ladybug with an upgraded steel for my keychain to use as a cigar cutter. (Yes, there is a thing called a cigar cutter, but I never knew when I would get the urge every couple months or so to purchase a cigar for a smoke, so I wanted a fancy keychain knife always at the ready.) I think Sal mentioned that he had one at some point, but it never got put into production. I traded cigars for a pipe, so the need for that particular grail has faded.

My current grail is an small neck knife that appears to be jewelry with a hidden blade inside a titanium sheath, large enough to be useful, (at least 1 inch) yet small enough to not look like a 'knife disguised as jewelry'

Grizz

Okay, so it's been something that has been a little on my mind, in part inspired by a few recent threads about "best this, best that" and to an extend the whole custom DDR debacle.
Most everybody around here has some (current) grail knife, and maybe some have actually bought their grail knives, and some moved on to others.
The question is, have those of you who obtained their special pieces been validated in their expectation of awesomeness or were there disappointments?
For me in particular the Shiro 111 3D CF is my personal grail knife, the thing is, it's about a ~1350$ knife, there about. I have a number of very nice knife with really good action, I am wondering if I would feel like it's worth it, if the action isn't THAT much better than a Reate that comes in at a third of the price? Should we (who are still itching for that special knife) have lower expecation or not look at it as a subjectively better knife but just as a more special piece?
It seems like calling something a grail knife to begin with sets somewhat unrealistic expectations that the final product needs to be essentially flawless to avoid disappointment. Maybe I am overthinking it? What's everybodys take on "grail knives" and actually obtaining them?

Some of them meet or even exceed expectations and some of them fall way short. It just depends on the knife.

My Shamwari was an early model and has some flaws. (Dirty secret alot of custom knives do, particularly ones where a maker hasn’t had the chance to dial things in) It actually has a crooked female pivot. Nevertheless I managed to get things working and perfectly straight (pivot still crooked) with it but I had to choose between an outstanding action with a little bit of blade play (more flex really) or a too tight action.

Despite this flaw I love the knife very much and it was a grail I was very happy with.

On the other hand the ZT392 and Hinderer Eklipse I just got really don’t do it for me. They’re good knives, and I appreciate owning them, but they fell short of my expectations and the hype I had built for myself.

Back