1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

"New" 110 2 Dot

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by High_Noon, May 5, 2017.

1. High_Noon

High_Noon

Nov 14, 2014
    I had a Buck 110 2 Dot when I was a youngster. Unfortunately, it was stolen by a workman at the house after only a few years of ownership. I've always wanted to replace it, and after looking for the past several years, I finally found a good 'un, for a good price.

Today, I received my "new" 2 Dot and it is in excellent condition. This knife has obviously been used very little, if at all. All I've done to it is to give it a good cleaning and oiling. The blade is tight - no side-to-side wobble at all - and it snaps open and closed with authority. I did have to work the blade (with oil) quite a bit due to some light corrosion in the pivot joint, which caused a bit of friction when opening, but it seems to be smoothing out nicely. Centering of the blade is damn near perfect and the blade/back spring, joint/seam is also very good. Workmanship on these old Buck 110s is first rate. I don't believe the knife had ever been sharpened as the original edge grind is present. I also don't believe the knife had been oiled in a long, long time. The Macassar Ebony is very nice, but does show evidence of being stored in the sheath (slight sheath snap indentations on the obverse scale) and a bit of green corrosion on the inside flap of the sheath. The belt sheath is also in excellent condition, but was starting to get a bit stiff with age, so I cleaned and oiled it well with Neatsfoot oil.

I have not sharpened it yet.

Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    KrisNZ, Roamad, afishhunter and 2 others like this.
  2. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    noon, that's a handsome 2 dot. With the larger pins, I'd say it's some of the last, 1979. DM

3. Badhammer

Badhammer

Jun 8, 2009
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

4. High_Noon

High_Noon

Nov 14, 2014
    David M. Thanks, I agree that it's a good looking' 2 Dot and I wondered where it fell within the '74-'80 range of the 2 Dots. One of the things I like about this one is that the scales are pretty evenly matched and have good figure; whereas, my original one (the one that was stolen) had one scale that was figured and one that was almost completely black. My memory fails me, but I think my original was purchased in '78 or '79, so this one is a great replacement and it's in much better condition than the one that was stolen. As a kid, I used it pretty hard and it had a fair amount of wear by the time it was stolen.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  5. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I think you did real well on getting it. One in that shape is a find. Miss matched handles I often see among the solid macassar ebony scales.
    Still, that makes them unique. You won't see that after the switch in 92. At shows a model like that I see priced at 50-60. Worth it to me. DM

6. High_Noon

High_Noon

Nov 14, 2014
    David M. You're correct, it is a find, which is why it took me several years of very sporadic looking to find one in great shape. The vast majority of the 2 Dots I found were mostly in poor-fair condition and the ones I did find in good to excellent condition (rare) were way overpriced, IMO. I paid $61.00, which I believe to be a very reasonable price for a 2 Dot 110 in excellent condition, and I'm happy with the purchase. I'll hand it down (along with all my other knives) to my young daughter one day. She's already starting a small collection of her own!

7. Morton Henderson

Morton Henderson

Oct 4, 2015
    Congratulations on this nice find and also on reacquiring something that has meaning for you.

8. edbeau

edbeau

Jan 20, 2006
    Nice find for a knife in that condition.

9. High_Noon

High_Noon

Nov 14, 2014
    Thanks Fellas.

10. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Very nice Two-Dot - and it cleaned up nicely too. You going to use it or preserve it? OH

11. High_Noon

High_Noon

Nov 14, 2014
    OH: Thanks. I spent a few hours sharpening it tonight and it took a very keen edge - much better than I expected from a 440C blade. I think I'll preserve it, but may use it on occasion.

12. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Very keen IS the way a 440C blade responds to proper sharpening. DM

13. High_Noon

High_Noon

Nov 14, 2014
    DM: Duly noted.

14. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    That's a super 2-dot, HN. I am picky about matching scales. I doubt you would ever find a much better match. :thumbsup:

15. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Nice two dot 110! Those older ones are my favorites. They are rugged knives and the fit and finish was usually very good. Buck set the industry standard for looks, fit and finish, and design back in those days with the 110. Many companies copied it, but none equaled it.

16. Tanker 1/66

Tanker 1/66 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    Wow It looks like it just left the factory. Very nice find:thumbsup:

17. jec88

jec88

Mar 6, 2012
    That wood really stands out!

18. High_Noon

High_Noon

Nov 14, 2014
    Tanker & jec: Thanks!