1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

NEW 4.7 Thread

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by OBX351, May 30, 2016.

1. Angry Hippie

Angry Hippie

May 21, 2016
    ^^^Wow, they really blew that 30 business days deadline.

2. NXPRSS

NXPRSS

Feb 15, 2015
    Same here.

3. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    They are currently claiming 90 days on their remaining 4.7 orders.
    If they are trying to hold to that I should have something soon.
    Edit: Unless of course those are 90 working days, in which case I still have a while to wait.

4. MatthewSB

MatthewSB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2013
    If you were happy with 154CM with a mass production heat treat, you'd really like the CPM-154 with a superior heat treat.

5. Angry Hippie

Angry Hippie

May 21, 2016
    I believe the 90 days is for factory firsts that weren't pre orders or pre sales. They have changed the timeline for the 2nds to 20-45 days, but when I ordered it was 15-30.

6. Poromenos

Poromenos

Nov 11, 2014
    This. My cpm154 is an October first. "Within the quoted 90 days" is what I was told when I asked last week when I could expect it.

7. Angry Hippie

Angry Hippie

May 21, 2016
    My CPM-154 was also a first, ordered October 19th, they also told me last week it would be on time. They also told me they are "running a bit behind" on the factory second in 3V that I ordered at the end of November and said they have no idea when it would ship, but if people that ordered seconds in early October still don't have theirs, I'm in for a wait :grumpy:

8. Angry Hippie

Angry Hippie

May 21, 2016
    On a side note, if I seem extra antsy to get this knife, I ordered a 4.1 in August of 2015 and waited patiently for quite a while and then I decided I didn't want to wait for a unknown amount of time to try my first Survive! so I got in on a couple 4.7s to hold me over until the 4.1 and 8 ships. I'm anxious to experience what all the fuss is about! I figured I'd have that 4.1 in time for the 2016 camping season for sure. BF and all your guys great pictures and reviews are not making the wait any easier! I almost canceled all of my orders back when there was a lot of negativity around here, but your guys positivity helped me make the decision to stay the course.

9. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    You either want the knife (because they are really good and an amazingly good value) or you want the immediate gratification.
    It is your choice. :)
    Oh, and I feel your pain about ordering an 8.

10. mlmcasual

mlmcasual

Jun 10, 2013
    Of all the steels, I have found personally that cpm-154 is both the easiest to sharpen and able to get crazy hair pop sharp. The sharpest knife I own is BM Nimravus that "pops" the fine hairs off the back or your hand with zero pressure.. insane sharp..

I will get my hands on the 154 4.7 and compare against my 4.7 20cv

11. Brian77

Brian77 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 27, 2014
    This is another report on my loaner knife from Grog, bless his heart!

We harvested 3 deer in muzzleloader season, and went to work today to cut them up, and grind burger. I used several knives. I used the 4.7 to separate the front and rear quarters from the body, and did some skinning and cutting. I love the handle. I also used 2 knives I made, and also my CPK Field knife. Thick is not needed and in this case, thick gets to feeling sluggish in the hand after a bit. For that reason I used the thinner knives to do the bulk of the processing once the separating was done.

It was another chance to handle and use the 4.7 for awhile, and the edge held up very well. Rear hip sockets can be hard on a blade, but his showed no sign of rolling or chipping. I will contact Grog and see where the 4.7 goes from here. I appreciate the chance to use it. Hoping for my 4.5, 6, and 12 to all arrive this year!

A couple pics as well.

getting set up...

[​IMG]

several knives to use, it's fun to work them out and see what we prefer...
    [​IMG]

4.7 for quartering
    [​IMG]

One of mine 1/8 CPM 154 at 60. 5" blade
    [​IMG]

After a satisfying afternoon, back straps and tenderloins...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. grogimus

grogimus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 27, 2012
    Glad it worked out well for you man, that's some good work to put it up to.

That's a fine looking group of knives, the Kirinite handled one looks very comfortable.

As nice as the knives are, those backstraps look tasty enough to make a person tear up, good stuff.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

13. OBX351

OBX351 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2014
    - Great review Brian! It was good of Grog to share the knife!!! Brian - of the 5 knives above which is your favorite? I get that there are different knives in the group but which do you like the best & why?

14. Karoi

Karoi Unobtanium Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2014
    Nice comparison/review Brian!

I'm also very interested to hear which one is your favourite for skinning and other tasks.

Did you find the CPK FK to be a bit better in the skinning department than the GSO 4.7 because it's almost a full flat grind and has more of a drop point (as opposed the 4.7's spear point)??

15. Brian77

Brian77 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 27, 2014
    Guy's, that is very interesting to me. All of you are spot on with your observations. Knife people develop a trained eye and "feel" for what works in certain applications.

Grog, yes, the Kirinite knife was made for my 11 year old son. It is made with 1/8" CPM 154 at 60 Rc. They get a hunting knife when they get their first deer. He picked the handle material. The shape is my design, and is based on some old knives we used for years to butcher and cut up animals. The design with the handle slightly "up" has a kitchen knife influence and aids in cutting board work. It has enough tip to trim meat and can be used for hours without fatigue. Nothing new, but handle principles that have stood the test of time. He used it mostly, and loves it.

OBX, my favorite for what I was doing in the butchering is the Ironwood handled knife I call my hunter. I was using the Nathan FK and really like it. But it was a little thick for getting the "silver skin" off the meat. The smallest knife in the picture is the one I am referring to. It is about 3.75" and 1/8" thick 1095 at 59 Rc and was still slicing paper raggedly after doing 3 deer. I was surprised at that. I was doing almost all the "trimming".

My 19 year old son in the picture was doing the meat removal from the skeleton. For skinning and for meat removal, he picked the FK and used it all day. He also loves the Nathan 6" knife in the picture, and sues that exclusively for killing and taking the head and legs off lambs when we butcher those. But yesterday, he used the field knife, and would verify with you noticed, Karoi, about the drop point. The 4.7 as I mentioned was just overkill on thickness and also the spear point lowered the point to far for this use.

I would dearly hope that in the future, Survive! or CPK would do a fairly thin, (maybe .090 to.125) 5 or 6 inch blade that would be designed for this type work. There are a lot of people that do home butchering, meat processing, and skinning, and to have a premium steel in a thinner blade, with good handle... wow... We use the old Green Rivers, and Old Hickories still quite a bit, and that is simply due to the blade shape. But sharpening needs to happens every half hour. I plan to make several of my own blades in those specs, with CPM 154 and AEBL in the mean time. It's just more fun using a "quality" knife, in part because the edge holds up all day.

Your observations are interesting. Thanks for those.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  16. Karoi

Karoi Unobtanium Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2014
    Thanks for the response Brian! I fully agree with your thoughts on S!K or CPK doing a thinner knife 5-6 inches long.
    Perhaps they could both do their own version :D
    Even though I'm not a hunting/skinning person, I'd definitely use it for fishing and also processing rumps of beef for making jerky.

I think (sometimes I think too much :rolleyes:) that a 5.5" blade, 1/8" spine, high saber grind, and drop point would be a fantastic all rounder. I say all rounder, because even with a thinner spine, in the D3V HT it would probably still be able to do some more demanding wood processing tasks!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  17. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    The CFV 4.7 has been a great woods knife so far!

[​IMG]

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  18. scout1sg

scout1sg

Nov 9, 2009
    I believe Grog deserves some of that Venison (LOL), if so I'll just have to swing his direction next time going home up to NE Iowa to get some of that backstrap.

19. Brian77

Nov 27, 2014
    Great idea. Maybe should schedule something. He and you are welcome anytime. Come by in May, weather is perfect then. We'll camp and grill venison down at the creek and chop stuff, and slice thick bacon off a pork belly. Count me in!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

20. grogimus

grogimus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 27, 2012
    I've always thought the various get-togethers I see look like a blast, Beckerheads and ESEE have very fun looking times. They're just mostly on the left or right coast. Something that wouldn't require 24 hrs of drive time would be awesome.

And .. I had something else but I started thinking about grilling venison and cutting fresh side off a pig belly and lost my train of thought. Yay 4.7!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk