New 840 Sprint Select

just received my new 840 Sprint Select. After giving it a few minutes of playing with that sweet, sweet dream like flipping action I’ll probably end up returning it. It’s a cool knife and I really like the flipping action but the blade play is just a little too much for my tastes as well as the blade centering. And there’s no real way to tighten the pivot screw down to find that sweet spot. If I tighten it too much then the blade will be too much off center. I can take a little but when it’s all the way over that’s too much. And no matter how tight the pivot screw there is always blade play when closed. The tightening only helps when the blade is locked open.

I really wanted to like this version of the Sprint too. I’ll email Buck and see if this is something that sending in to them will help resolve first. Still have the Pro Micarta version on my list though!

It has ball bearings for ease of operation. If you tighten it up it'll put them in a bind and then you won't be happy on how it works.... How much play is in it? There has to be some play or it won't open or close like it's supposed to...

It has ball bearings for ease of operation. If you tighten it up it'll put them in a bind and then you won't be happy on how it works.... How much play is in it? There has to be some play or it won't open or close like it's supposed to...
Hmmm, this is my first ball bearing knife so maybe this is how it’s supposed to be like you mentioned. It’s got enough play to where if it was any of my other Buck flippers like my Vantage Pro’s I’m concerned. Those are solid whether open or closed. But they also are not bearing flippers. The Sprint opens great and when open it’s solid. Only when it’s closed there is movement at the top of the blade. Not at the pivot with the bearings.

maybe I'm misunderstanding, but sounds normal from the way I'm reading it. solid when open some play when closed.....correct?

100% correct
I checked two. one pro one select. both have almost no play side to side when open. basically I'll say none. up and down none. when closed it's hard to get the blade to see, but i can push it a bit and it moves a bit on the lock side and allows a bit of play. I believe more from the design of the knife than anything else. I'm saying normal and no effect on cutting or use. opinions vary on this topic, of course, but mine are identical and sound like yours.

Last edited:
I checked two. one pro one select. both have almost no play side to side when open. basically I'll say none. up and down none. when closed it's hard to get the blade to see, but i can push it a bit and it moves a bit on the lock side and allows a bit of play. I believe more from the design of the knife than anything else. I'm saying normal and no effect on cutting or use. opinions vary on this topic, of course, but mine are identical and sound like yours.

I just got the cf version and hope its solid

Awesome, thank you you checking for me. Appreciate it! Sounds like it’s all by design and since that’s the case, it’s a keeper! It really does have a nice flipping action. Like ZERO effort to open it.

Also I forgot to mention I got the green model. Every other knife I own is black so I stepped out of the box on this one. ;)

When u get it can u post pics? A guy put one up earlier where the CF was very white where in the pics it's almost black. I'm just curious.

Not my video but the only one I can find right now on it shows definitely depending on the angle i could see a white maybe coming out but i believe it's just a reflection.

I'll definitely post pics of mine when I get it and video. Right now knifecenter has a sweet Memorial day sale on all the sprints!

Not my video but the only one I can find right now on it shows definitely depending on the angle i could see a white maybe coming out but i believe it's just a reflection.

I'll definitely post pics of mine when I get it and video. Right now knifecenter has a sweet Memorial day sale on all the sprints!

Cool thanks for posting that. It must of been the reflection. That is nice.

Edit. Did realize I typed my comment inside the quote:confused:

Last edited:
Back