1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New 940-1 tight pivot, loose it a bit or wait to break in?

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by ipwn3r456, Jul 24, 2018.

1. ipwn3r456

ipwn3r456

Sep 2, 2013
    Hey all,

Just recently got a 940-1, like the title said, it's a little tighter than I want it to be when opening the knife. Should I loose the pivot screw a bit, or should I give it some time for the knife to break in? Thanks.

2. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Loosen it a degree and try it. Then one more etc.
    If it ever develops play in the future with a lot of use try going the opposite in the same pattern until the play is eliminated or it doesn't pivot as you like. I don't find zero play to be all that important but I want my knives to swing and drop.

I don't have the desire to flip a knife enough to break it in. A time or two and I am ready to do something else.
    I've also never been a washer polisher. My 940-1 has extremely good action though I believe I did adjust it as described when new. If it were bad I would have sent it back for another one.
    Oh and don't be afraid to apply just the smallest amount of super light oil to the pivot. I prefer Starrett Instrument oil used in fine measuring devices.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  3. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Mine was a little dry when I got it. One drop of oil and wow, night and day difference. I would try oil first. Use it, flip it for a couple days and then loosen pivot if necessary.

4. Benchmade

Benchmade BMK Jimmy - Design Engineer Moderator

Jan 25, 2013
    They can loosen up a bit over time. Like already stated though you can adjust it to your preference if you would like. Just need a #10 Torx. Start with very small adjustments.