New 945BK-1 Edge Asymetrical?

I just picked up a brand new 945BK-1. Action is great, I love the feel, but being fairly new to knives and especially Benchmade I'm a little concerned about the knife edge. Below is as close a photo as I could make with the face and the back side by side. The grind seems steeper on one side than the other.

e8dcBIh.jpg

Am I taking this too seriously? I'm not sure if this is a "return to Benchmade for warranty services/lifesharp" or an "I need to shut up and just do some light touch-up" scenario. Any opinions? Again, I'm fairly new to the knife world here. That said, as long as the blade edge is good I will freaking love this knife.

BellaBlades

Gold Member
You need to relax and upgrade your sharpening skills.

I've seen worse on CRK and RHK.

Enjoy that beauty.

You need to relax and upgrade your sharpening skills.

I've seen worse on CRK and RHK.

Enjoy that beauty.

Gotcha, I'm being a baby about it. Everything else is perfect. Great feel, fit, action, centering, etc... It definitely is a beautiful knife and will become my primary EDC until the green aluminum version arrives in May. I'll learn to sharpen on some less expensive knives before tackling this baby.

Unfortunately, this is pretty typical in new Benchmades. My 945 was spot on in every respect except for the uneven edge grind, or “left beef”, as Cypress puts it.

In the last few years I’ve bought about 20 new Benchmades and most of them had this kind of edge. The most recent exception was the BHQ Exclusive Bugout — that was nicely done in every regard. The only others that were ground well were the 575 and the Cabela’s exclusive 940. All the others had left beef to some extent.

Babyboomer, that's really funny that you say that, actually... I got a BHQ Bugout, as well, and the grind is very far from even. An otherwise great knife, but for the money, the grind should be straighter than my $35 CRKT.

It seems to be the luck of the draw -- with lots of people being unlucky. I think my next knife related purchase will be a sharpening system, probably a KME, so I can straighten some of these knives out. This thread caused me to take a look at my Benchmades, and I was surprised to see that my lowly 556 Mini Grip in 154CM had a perfect edge. Then I remembered that I had my local Benchmade dealer (now out of business) sharpen it on his Tormek.

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC