Photos New Acid Etch Results...

casual_cutter

Gold Member
I just started getting into modding my knives recently, and the other night I decided to pull the trigger and splatter-pattern acid etch on my Bento Box M390 Spyderco Para3. Now I need to find some custom scales... What do you guys think of how it came out? :)upload_2018-11-12_14-46-5.jpegupload_2018-11-12_14-46-32.jpegupload_2018-11-12_14-46-59.jpeg

If anyone is interested in following my upcoming mods, you can follow along on my Facebook page @ The Casual Cutter and on my IG as well. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
He used something for a mask by splattering it on the blade, then etched. Afterward removed the mask material. Looks nice.

Very very nice !
Way to go.
Have you seen the etching done in the David Boye book ?
That goes a little more with your avitar.
In your current example you seem to be channelling Jackson Pollok.
Which is not a bad thing. :thumbsup:

Hey guys! Sorry for the late reply - been spending all my spare time on my FB and IG accounts. Thanks for all the feedback!! I’ll try and answer everyone’s questions at once:

I used Ferric Chloride to etch the steel, after masking off the pattern with paint splatter. After an initial etch of about 15 minutes, I removed the paint and etched for another 5 minutes. Then I wet sanded with 1200 grit. This blade is M390 steel. I have not heard about that book but I’ll look into it. As far as ferric chloride not effectively etching S35VN, I’ve actually heard this being an issue once before, but with a vinegar patina instead. I’m going to tryn etch my ZT0630 (in S35VN) and see how it goes. I’d think it would work seeing as how M390 was easy enough... but I’m no metalergist.

Back