New Alpha Hunter: blade too loose, sheath too tight

Hello

I got my first Buck, an alpha hunter (black rubber) last month and I'm having trouble with it. It is from the first production run, and arrived new and boxed.

I am a knife newbie and have two questions:

The blade was loose when I got it, and the screw that holds the blade in place would not stay in position. So - knowing no better - I superglued the nut in place, with regular superglue from the hardware shop. But now three weeks later the not-so-superglue has come undone (from the snapping open motion) and the screw and blade is loose again. How do I get the screw to stay in one position?

Also, the Buck sheath it came with is too small for the knife. It fits in if I really jam it hard, but then it takes a good few minutes to force it out again. Is there something I can do to the sheath to loosen it up?

Thanks for any help

Tec

Put a dab of Locktite on screw, put screw back in, adjust to where you want it, and let sit overnight.

The sheath should loosen up over time. It is a function of the rubber dragging on the sheath material.

Jeff

tecumseh -
I recently bought the Alpha Hunter folder in rosewood and haven't had a problem. The sheath seemed to be a little tight but like J Hubbard said it loosened up within a weeks time. Not that it matters much but are you placing the knife in the sheath thong hole first? Good luck with a nice knife!

Thanks for the replies.

I had a closer look and yeah it is the rubber gripping on the sheath, so I guess the rosewood one would work OK, being smoother? So maybe the sheath was designed with the rosewood one in mind. Otherwise I might have a slightly defective sheath which is too small. Certainly it can not have been designed to be this tough a fit!

I'll try and track down some locktite and give it a go. Thanks for confirming that glueing it in place is correct, I wasn't sure if i was missing something obvious.

Otherwise it is a great knife, much better than my old kershaw. Wish i'd got the rosewood one though...i didn't realise it had the better quality steel.

Cheers
tec

The Sheath was adjusted after the 1st run to have a 'silk' style inner lining to help removal of the rubber handled knives. There are about 5000 pcs of the sheath in the field that would not have this liner.

E-mail me at jhubbard@buckknives.com and I'll get you a replacement if yours does not have the liner in it. If it does have the liner in it, I'll have you send it to me so I can check the Dimensions out.

Jeff

Thanks for that Jeff. That sounds right, as the knife I have is stamped 1st production run, and there is no liner to the sheath.

I live all the way in New Zealand, so sending the sheath back and forwards across the world is not really worth it. I'll just have to use some kiwi ingenuity and improvise!

Back