New! and...

Discussion in 'ESEE KNIVES' started by LC4, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Harker

Harker

Feb 16, 2011
    I have the 3's. No experience with the 2's. The good thing about Merrell is they have great customer service just like ESEE. If you look on the forums over at Merrell you will see that anyone with a problem is promptly taken care of. The sole coming loose seemed to be a common problem with the earlier models from what I've gathered. The people who had the issue got replacement shoes right away.

If anything I would say mine ran a little big. I'm a snug 10.5 but with these i have a little room to spare. :confused:

2. Doc13

Doc13

Apr 10, 2010
    Welcome to the forum LC4, Enjoy:thumbup:

Check out the..Patagonia A/C Drifter for dry weather, and the Drifter Goretex for wet weather.

3. LostSoul

LostSoul

Oct 10, 2009
    Below is my opinion and shouldn't be held as Gospel. As a Land Surveyor for the last 11 years, and as someone who spends most of his time outdoors here in North GA, I wear boots everyday that I am not on vacation. While I am no expert (because I don't get paid for my opinion), I feel confident in relaying my experience to others if it may help them out. When it is all said and done, find a boot that is comfortable to you. What works for me, may be pure misery for you.

Since you mentioned hiking boot. I am going to have to suggest Asolo or Vasque which is all I use now, although my next pair will probably be a pair of Zamberlan's as I have heard nothing but great things about these boots from a couple of guys who have the same experience with boots as I.

I've had Hi-Tech, Rocky, Timberland, Merrells, and Danners. None of them have held up to the abuse that I have put them through. Companies need to have Land Surveyors test their boots for them, because a pair that will last the average Joe 8-10 years are lucky to survive the first year with a Land Surveyor.

I will say that the most comfortable fullsize boot for me has always been a Rocky because of their soft sole compound but they just don't hold up in the real world.

Danners were by far the biggest disappointment. They are one of the more expensive makers out there, but after owning 2 pair, I can't recommend them. Mine leaked from the get go and weren't comfortable at all, compared to other brands.

I had 3 pair of Timberland something another and they were extremely comfortable. After trying on the first pair and walking around the store, I bought 2 pair just in case they decided to do away with that model. The problem with the boots was I owned 3 pair in less than a week, because each pair had eyelets snap when tightening up the laces. I wanted to like those boots so much but just couldn't trust them so I ended up getting my money back on those.

A lot of people like the Merrells, but they just don't fit my feet that well and I don't have anything abnormal going on. It seems like the heel of the foot bed is lower than the rest, which just doesn't feel right to me. That's not saying that they're not great boots/shoes, they just don't work for me.

I will suggest that you not only try the boots on, but walk around with them on for as long as you can. Being I wear boots almost everyday, I always try my boots on toward the end of the day with the socks that I am likely to wear with them. The reason I do that is because my feet will be swollen and maybe even sore from being on them all day and if the boots will fit and be comfortable at that time, then they're more likely to be comfortable all throughout the day.

I will use coupons, pinch pennies, buy clothes at thrift stores, eat leftovers, or do whatever it takes to save money but when it comes to my feet, I don't go cheap.

The first time I dropped $250 on a pair of Asolos was very hard for me to do, but I've had them for over 2 years and I don't see why I can't get at least another year out of them. I've paid $165 for a pair of Rockys that didn't last 6 months, so I feel that the $250 I spent on the Asolos is well justified now.

4. LC4

LC4

Feb 15, 2011
    Awesome feedback guys, thanks. Iv found a store that carries a few of the brands y'all have suggested and will most likely pull the trigger on one of those.
    Once i have tested them out Ill toss in my two cents.

And really, thanks a lot. :D:thumbup:

5. Anglewood

Anglewood

Jan 7, 2007
    I'm a big fan of Merrells as well. I wear them daily (Chameleon Trek Gore Tex, or Stretch 2), in my opinion, the 2s were better than the newer 3s, but there isn't much we can do about that. The current versions are still well made and hold up very well. I pulled the elastic out of my stretches, and made some laces out of paracord. Figured it would work as an emergency source of cordage if ever needed.

-Connor

6. drbarnes

drbarnes

Sep 13, 2010
    I recently got a pair of danner boots. I have to say that they are the most comfortable boots I have put on right out of the box. They just made a lifetime customer out of me.

7. RABII

RABII Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2010
    For working, so far my Redwings are doing the job. As for walking/hiking I'm still breaking in some Merrell Moab Mids. Heard good things about Vasque and Asolo though, and will keep them in mind. One thing is absolutely true, footwear is a VERY individual thing as no two feet (not to mention posture and body weight) are the same.

8. LC4

LC4

Feb 15, 2011
    These forums you speak of...where might they be?:confused:

I went looking around but found nothing.

9. Überich

Überich

Feb 20, 2011
    here's another vote for merrell: merrell intercept (also available as GTX = gore-tex version for wet/cold conditions but not recommended for normal temperatures)
    i already own three different pairs and counting ;)
    i think you can't go wrong with them - superb comfort: i've been on hikes where at the end of the day people had hurting feet (even with some really expensive hiking boots) when i felt like i had a stroll in the park...
    [​IMG]