1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

New book coming soon: Next Level Knifemaking.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Jason Fry, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Jason Fry

Jason Fry KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 5, 2008
    Howdy folks. I just got my PDF layout proof for the upcoming book I edited, Next Level Knifemaking. I edited, plus contributed 5 chapters. Other chapters by Tracy Mickley, Ed Caffrey, Jim Cooper, Lin Rhea, Nathan Carothers, Bob Ohlemann, Salem Straub, Larrin Thomas, Joshua Swanagon, Geoff Keyes, Erin Healy, Dustin Rhodes, Shanna Jantz Kemp, Ed Braun, Dave Ferry, Mark Bartlett, John Gulso, and Brad Stallsmith. Release target is before the end of 2020. Myself and the other authors will be working hard to get the word out once it's available for purchase. In the meantime, enjoy the introduction.

2. DevinT

DevinT

Jan 29, 2010
    Looks like it will be a very good resource for knife makers, I’ll be getting one for sure.

Hoss

buckfynn likes this.
  3. Larrin

Larrin Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Jan 17, 2004
    It sure takes a while. I wrote my chapters months before I even started on Knife Engineering.

buckfynn, DevinT and Jason Fry like this.
  4. Jason Fry

Jason Fry KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 5, 2008
    I started on this project September of 2017. I had a contract by the middle of 2019 and a fairly complete manuscript by then, but then the publisher wanted more content. It took me a few more months to expand from 15 up to 26 chapters, and a few more months to get to this point. I actually wrote a whole 'nother book in the mean time, that will also be out soon.

buckfynn likes this.
  5. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero Triple B Handmade, Custom Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 22, 2014
    Is there a sharpening stone chapter?
    How to freehand?
    Stone selection?
    Any talk about vitrified, Metallic and resin bonded stones for high hardness high carbide steels?

6. Jason Fry

Jun 5, 2008
    We didn't include a specific sharpening chapter. There is a chapter from Tracy Mickley on abrasives that goes into that level of detail about various belts and their technical differences.

DeadboxHero likes this.
  7. Tom Lewis

Tom Lewis

Feb 24, 2000
    Thanks, looking forward to getting my copy.

8. Jason Fry

Jun 5, 2008
    Thanks for your contribution!

Tom has a chapter on what it was like to "grow up" as a knifemaker before the internet.

9. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Great that you got it done.

I have been working on my books for over 10 years. I hope to finalize it with photos in the new shop and get it ready by the end of 2021. Everytime I think I have enough stuff I think of something to add or an additional topic.

10. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    I think that you are fully competent to write chapter about that :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Triple Stripe Knives likes this.
  11. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero Triple B Handmade, Custom Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 22, 2014
    I appreciate it Natty.

12. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Looking good!

13. Jason Fry

Jun 5, 2008
    Thanks for your contribution, Dave!

14. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Ya bet. My book on horsemanship sure took a long time to put together too.

15. C_Claycomb

C_Claycomb

Dec 11, 2000
    Wow. Just a couple of days ago I was thinking how good it would be if there was a book on knife making, written by multiple authors, that covered knife making in breath and depth the way The Traditional Bowyer's Bible did for bow making. Sounds like you were years ahead! Great!! I hope it will be available in the UK. :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    LCoop and Jason Fry like this.
  16. Jason Fry

Jun 5, 2008
    We haven't got distribution finalized, but it should be available on Amazon in the US. If I can get a case to the UK, maybe one of the knife supply houses would sell them?

17. Jrmysell

Jrmysell

May 18, 2014
    Those are some big, respectable names! I'll be getting a copy when it comes out (also planning on getting Larrin's book as well).

18. Kevin Cross

Kevin Cross KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 13, 2006
    I now you have been working hard on this, looking forward to getting a copy.

19. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    Best book on bow making ever! So awesome!!

LCoop likes this.
  20. Jason Fry

Jun 5, 2008
    Getting closer.... heads out to the printer today. Here's the cover! As soon as I get an ETA for delivery, I'll make them available.

[​IMG]