New Buck 102 Woodsman

Modoc ED

Gold Member
Our 4-Grandchildren are visiting from Long Beach, CA and while taking them to an old-time gas station/general store combination to show them how things still are in the country, I spotted this Buck 102 Woodsman in the store's glass case and bought it on impulse. I don't know what I'll do with it just yet but will probably carry it inside a coat pocket or inside a fanny pack -- not on my belt or on a pack strap.

buck102woodsman2.jpg

buck102woodsman3.jpg

For those of you that have one of these little knives, what do you use your's for?

Last edited:
I don'rt have one of those,but dang -it now i've been looking at yours and feel i NEED one .lol looks like a great little knife ,congrates!

...bought it on impulse.

Just like a puppy...so cute you got to have it and when you get it home you wonder what the heck to do with it:D.

It is a seriously good all round knife, small enough to not be a carry problem large enough for just about anything:thumbup:.

Enjoy it. Preston

Neat knife... but stay away from Bass Pro Shops - they have a cherrywood handled/brass fg & pommel version... it's too purdy to nastify! Next size up is the 105 Pathfinder - then the 119 Special. Of course, if you like the old Puma 'White Hunter' style of pregnant ended knives, take a sojourn off to the 103 Weirdo! Seriously, stay away from the 'BR' variants... they are too pretty to use!

Stainz

The 102 is a great little knife and is my go to fixed blade. I bet you will find yours really handy and comfortable to use/carry after a little while. I did.:thumbup:
Jim

They are very cool little knives and work very well for cleaning trout and pan fish. If you can locate a sheath like mine, you can carry the 102 and a 501 (or medium trapper) in the same sheath. It makes a great little fishing or around the camp combo.

DUsheath1.jpg

DUsheath2.jpg

DUsheath3.jpg

IMO the 102 is about as good a Bird and Trout knife out there.
Put it to use!!

:thumbup: I used to use mine for whitetail deer as well. Its a very well rounded knife. Great design!

I love using my "BR" cocobola knives, and the cherrywoods too!! ;) Half the fun is using a beautiful knife for what it was intended! ;)

Beautiful knives and pictures guys!!! :thumbup:

My wife bought me one of the BP cherrywood and brass 102s,nice wife!I plan on using it as my fishing knife.

Whether you use the folding version or fixed blade 102 I agree with Flatlander . DM :)

The woodsman is a great knife for pan fish like brook trout. I have a very early forged one with an inverted BUCK stamp that I use as a letter opener now. I need another for field use, but I'm waiting for one with upgraded steel, or a new old stock 440C.

P.S. I always wondered if the 110 was based on the 102 or 105, if they were thinking of a folding version of one of these two knives. Does anyone from Buck know if this was the inspiration for the 110?

Wolf, One could think that . But Buck saw there was a good market opportunity for a large folder and decided to move in that direction . I'm glad they did in light of what we have today . DM

I have one that's a bit older but still in pretty good shape.

007-3.jpg

It hasn't been worked on.....it's just like new.

:)

I use to use mine as a fish knife when fishing, a cheese and sausage knife when hunting. HL

I absolutely love my Woodsman. It's my current EDC, and I use it for damn near everything. I love the stock sheath, but would love to carry horizontal as opposed to the vertical carry the stock sheath requires.

EK, Welcome . There are some guys on here that might could make you a sheath to horizontal carry your 102 . They'll be along . DM

Thanks for the help guys. :p

I'll have to get some pictures of my Bucks one of these days.

They are very cool little knives and work very well for cleaning trout and pan fish. If you can locate a sheath like mine, you can carry the 102 and a 501 (or medium trapper) in the same sheath. It makes a great little fishing or around the camp combo.

DUsheath1.jpg

DUsheath2.jpg

DUsheath3.jpg

That is an awesome sheath you have there.

Back