New Busse

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Tim E, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Tim E

Tim E Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 10, 2020
    Well...new to me anyway. I’m new to this forum and relatively new to Busse knives. I have been aware, and admired them for years, but this is my first purchase. It was described to me, by the seller, as a slightly used A2 SHSH2. I have tried searching the forum, but the variations, and acronyms relating to the Steel Heart are mind boggling. I am appealing to those more knowledgeable than myself to help me determine exactly what I have.

Can you tell by looking at the features what steel this knife is made from? What handle scales do I have? My uneducated guess was black canvas Micarta, raptor pattern. When was my knife likely made? The sheath came with it. I’m not sure, but it looks like a Mashed Cat to me. I paid $350.00 shipped, which I “felt” was a good price, but I did not wait long enough to research it. Did I do ok?

Sorry for the long first post. I hope I didn’t break any rules. Like I said, I’m learning the ropes.

EDIT: I’m sorry my attempt to post a picture failed. I’ll try to figure out how to get one posted.

2. ironwagon

ironwagon Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Welcome aboard!! I'm pretty sure that you'll have to upgrade your membership to a Gold to ask those questions. :)

WatermanChris likes this.
  3. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Hi Tim,

Pricing questions can only be asked by Gold Members or above but posting pics is easiest done using a picture hosting site. If you plan on getting into knives, I recommend a Gold Membership as it is extremely valuable for the cost of admission. By buying on the exchange, you can save significant money sometimes as well as sell any knives that don't "float your boat".

If you search "how to post pictures", you will find articles explaining the process step by step.

Welcome to the best knife forum (and subforum) on the internet!

4. Tim E

Oct 10, 2020
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get that stuff squared away.

ironwagon likes this.
  5. David Brown

David Brown Kydex Sheath and Holster Artist :) Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2001
    e-mail me the pic I will post it for ya.

6. JohnTheTexican

JohnTheTexican Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Sounds like you stole a Straight Handled Steel Heart II in A2 steel. It probably dates from the late 1990s. They introduced INFI when they introduced the original Battle Mistress (now known as a SHBM) in 1999 and switched over existing models not too long after. Black canvas Micarta was the standard handle material. Busses came with a factory kydex sheath back then, which is probably what you have. It cost $297 new from Busse.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    ironwagon, tuica and Currawong like this.
  7. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Welcome to Bladeforums, and welcome to the madness.;)

It sounds like you snagged something special there:thumbsup:.......we look forward to some pics.:)

WatermanChris and tuica like this.
  8. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Welcome to the forum !!!!!

Sounds like your off to a stellar start !!!!!! Great score :)

9. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    Welcome! Sounds like a good score!

10. Tim E

Oct 10, 2020
    Thanks for all the replies, and the warm welcome, including the offer to post my pics. I m going to give it another try, following the instructions I found in another thread.

EDIT: That did the trick. Now I'm golden.
    ;)
    See what I did there?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. tuica

tuica Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2013
  12. tuica

tuica Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2013
    I just saw you paid $350 for this. I have more ASH1’s than most people have fingers. You paid a price that I do envy.

It’s INFi Steel. Not A2. That’s ok. The only thing tougher than INFI - is Chuck Norris. On a good day. See you around BF. I posted a link to Bad Mojo above.

13. Tim E

Oct 10, 2020
    I had a feeling the price was a good one. That's why I didn't wait around to research the knife first. I've always wanted a Steel Heart, so I thought it was worth the risk. Thanks for the link.

duramax, WatermanChris and tuica like this.
  14. JohnTheTexican

JohnTheTexican Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2006
    ASH-1 came out in 2007. You can see the archived offer page from the Busse Combat website here.

15. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy

Aug 21, 2014
    That's a good place to start. Congrats on a sweet deal.

WatermanChris, tuica and Tim E like this.
  16. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    How thick is that ASH 1? Lay a tape measure across the spine just above the micarta. 3/16 ish ?
    That one looks exactly like mine.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    WatermanChris and tuica like this.
  17. Tim E

Oct 10, 2020
    Yes, just above the micarta, the blade measures slightly over 3/16”. Allowing for the thickness of the coating, 3/16” should be about right.

WatermanChris, Steven65 and tuica like this.
  18. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    So then, a Skinny ASH1. You done good. Real good. I really like mine, even though I haven't used it much yet. I wanna say those were 2008 ish, someone will be along shortly to correct me if I am wrong.

19. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Yeah what you have there is a Skinny Ash. My all time favourite edc Busse.
    They change hands for considerably more than what you paid so you done good! Great score!;)

20. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    Congrats on your score. :):thumbsup:

Tim E, ironwagon and WatermanChris like this.