New car / automobile buying & leasing tips for CPK'ers

A Trill here and a Trill there is just peanuts these days, so who's counting? 🤣

Sorry, may bad! 0.5 Trill or 500 billions to be more correct!

Please tell me they're not going to spend $500 billion dollars of taxpayer money on electric vehicle subsidies.

Please tell me they're not going to spend $500 billion dollars of taxpayer money on electric vehicle subsidies.

There are more provisions for EVs but not sure if there are more $7500 EV purchase credit on next years' taxes. I'm not an EV fanboy yet and I did (perhaps foolishly) cancel my F-150 Lightening $100 reservation, although I never thought that I had a snow ball's chance in heck, specially with the ADMs which franchise dealers are adding. You can throw a rock in any direction in the neighborhood of mine and hit like 3 Teslas but I never liked the car even when both Tesla and Musk were both "kool". I am both considered a fossil and a fossil fuel combustion engine addict, but I think that our days are numbered. Additionally if I was a long mileage commuter, I'd be dumping my old Tundra although the big V8 engined trucks are somewhat soft these days even in this hot used market :(

OK, please don't shoot the messenger! Copy & paste job here, my specialty!

Snip...
nearly $370 billion for various climate related projects, programs, etc...

The policies overall aim to push American consumers and industry away from reliance on fossil fuels. The biggest share of the funding goes to tax credits and rebates for a host of renewable technologies — solar panels, wind turbines, heat pumps, energy efficiency, and electric vehicles. It includes incentives for companies to manufacture more of that technology in the United States...

I'm all for electric vehicles. I wish everybody had one.

I'm also all for subsidizing something like electric vehicles and solar panels to help kickstart an industry that can solve a lot of problems.

Electric vehicles are already mainstream at this point. They don't need my taxpayer money to kick start them. Plenty of people want one and, at this point, they can sink or swim on their own merits.

The government needs to quit hemorrhaging my money.

I'm all for electric vehicles. I wish everybody had one.

I'm also all for subsidizing something like electric vehicles and solar panels to help kickstart an industry that can solve a lot of problems.

Electric vehicles are already mainstream at this point. They don't need my taxpayer money to kick start them. Plenty of people want one and, at this point, they can sink or swim on their own merits.

The government needs to quit hemorrhaging my money.

I totally understand your POV and I have one glaring concern on the longevity of these batteries and how good/bad/disastrous they can become for the environment when it is time to remove, replace and dispose of. Solar panels which are over 15 years old can be lumped in the same bracket; we don’t know the unintended consequences.

I am not as liberal (small l, for lack of a better word) on EVs as you seem to be because I can clearly see that the lion share of their benefits go toward the better off and the well off! I guess that capitalism always finds a way to reward the well-to-do who may not need these credits as much of an incentive.

Lastly without getting into the politics of the bill because that will become a shyte show, the taxes which are supposed to be paying for all these ought not come out of your pocket or my pocket (supposedly net of < 400K) but then again these are complex topics which have their own fancy brainy silver tongued proponents and opponents capable of spinning things for and against.

Back on topic:

I have started seeing end of month deals on Toyota Tacomas, even 4 x 4 and double cab ones in all sort of packages and trims apart from the TRD PRO. I have seen 2K off MSRP on inbound or in stock units but there are broker fees involved (if you know where to look not me and not affiliated). Please do your research and do not just waltz into a dealership if looking for a Tacoma and get tricked into paying a few grand over MSRP! Toyota Financial is even offering 2.9% 60 months on Tacoma purchases to high FICO score holders.

Edited: sorry forgot to add, shortness only. Long beds are fewer and dealers are holding onto prices. Also there can be a big difference between MSRP and the added dealer sticker, walk away if the dealer has added junk, specially a POS aftermarket alarm for like $995, to a 2022 model which already has a factory alarm!

Last edited:
I will never own an electric vehicle. I Like big honkin' V-8s, like the 440 ci six-pack in my old '74 challenger. I drive it very few miles per year, so it makes an insignificant contribution to overall environmenta;l CO2 pollution. I don't need any kind of radio or sound sytem in it - the sound of the engine is music to my ears Of course, I have the advantage of being a semi-retired old fart and I don't need to commute anywhere and besides, I'm just too set in my ways to change now.

If your going to buy an EV, then the electric used to charge the vehicle should come from a source not to include coal or natural gas (80% of electric production) otherwise what’s the point in overloading an already fragile national electricity network…

What's the point? To reduce the value of oil. Russia and some folks in the middle East won't be causing as many problems in the rest of the world when their biggest resource is largely worthless. They may continue to throw rocks at each other but their ability to fly airplanes into other people's buildings will be curtailed when they're busy figuring out how to eat sand.

Saudi Arabia is not our friend.

That’s fine I understand that but the US has one of the largest oil reserves in the world… The reserves the US controls though will only last another 70-85 years at 2016 consumption rates so I understand a phase shift to another source.

But that should also include the national electrical grid. Solar and wind are not enough and are not the answer, the waste from the vehicle lithium batteries and the silicon in the solar panels are currently 350 times worst than the current cleanest form of electrical power - nuclear. Facts from a physicist…

EDIT: Oops, I got a little crazy typing on the phone and made a big error… lithium and silicon byproducts currently produce 35 times the waste of nuclear energy… But that number is mainly based on reported data from China, so who really knows the correct number?

Last edited:
I'm probably going to be looking at a 2023 Sequoia and was thinking a lease might be the way to go. Need to get rid of this shitty explorer

With August here, I am now seeing the first of the 2023 new body Sequoias on dealers' allocation lists but the ones unspoken for already (cancelled orders maybe) are destined for significant dealer markups or as they call it these days, "market adjustment". I am guessing minimum 5K and up to 10K mark up range, possible even more crazy stupid $ on the TRD Pro models.

With August here, I am now seeing the first of the 2023 new body Sequoias on dealers' allocation lists but the ones unspoken for already (cancelled orders maybe) are destined for significant dealer markups or as they call it these days, "market adjustment". I am guessing minimum 5K and up to 10K mark up range, possible even more crazy stupid $ on the TRD Pro models.
Well they already raised the price $9k from the previous model so now it's a no-go

Since it was Nathan's official BD yesterday (Lest I forget the other 2 twins: Jonathan & Martin) I gave myself a little present to remember Nathan's BD from here on out. Nothing fancy, just a 2022 Tacoma 4x4 Trail Edition with locking diff. No fancy technology stuff, CRAWL, multi-surface 4WD features, leather, moonroof, yada, yada... Just going to add a color matched camper-shell with roof racks, throw the dog in and go cruise, camp and live one of these moons. The Tundra was killing me on gas so it will likely go to a new home in a few weeks. The more that I pondered about EVs, the more I was convinced to wait out for Toyota on that technology. It will cost a pretty penny, but then again: T O Y O T A, nuff said!

2EB09B80-CEAA-4442-89AA-2B65748A4773.jpeg

Since it was Nathan's official BD yesterday (Lest I forget the other 2 twins: Jonathan & Martin) I gave myself a little present to remember Nathan's BD from here on out. Nothing fancy, just a 2022 Tacoma 4x4 Trail Edition with locking diff. No fancy technology stuff, CRAWL, multi-surface 4WD features, leather, moonroof, yada, yada... Just going to add a color matched camper-shell with roof racks, throw the dog in and go cruise, camp and live one of these moons. The Tundra was killing me on gas so it will likely go to a new home in a few weeks. The more that I pondered about EVs, the more I was convinced to wait out for Toyota on that technology. It will cost a pretty penny, but then again: T O Y O T A, nuff said!

View attachment 1907038
I like those wheels. I've been considering ordering a set of the 4runner trd pro wheels for the Tacoma but being 17" I don't really want to buy a new set of tires as well. Might look into the ones you've got there. I think bronze would look pretty alright on a cement taco.

I like those wheels. I've been considering ordering a set of the 4runner trd pro wheels for the Tacoma but being 17" I don't really want to buy a new set of tires as well. Might look into the ones you've got there. I think bronze would look pretty alright on a cement taco.

Those are modeled after the TRD-Pro wheel and TBT, that was the bait for me. I dunno if they are the same as the TRD-Pro with the Toyota center caps instead of the TRD center caps or a cheaper version of the Pro wheels (I haven't looked at the specs but the Pro rims were a bit lighter and a bit narrower than the TRD-Offroad rims) You ought to try to stick with the 16" that came with your truck because believe it or not you save some $ on the 16" tires, not much, but still something... Once these factory GoodYear Wranglers wear down, I'm planning on getting a the 10 ply BFG-KO2 in the same size: 265/70/16s... Just be careful that there are Chinese knockoffs which you won't want in case you scour Craigslist. Sometimes Toyota puts those style wheels on sale, so look out for those when they go on sale and be patient ;)

Back