New Cold Steel SRK question......

Monofletch

Basic Member
This is my first Cold Steel knife. My new SRK San Mai III is out of the box about as sharp as a butter knife. Is this normal for CS? The knife is great, but I expected it to at least cut paper. :thumbdn: :grumpy:

I'm sure it will be a great knife after I sharpen it......

That is definitely unusual for Cold Steel. Their reputation is that they generally send their knives out very sharp, not sure if that has changed or if you were just unlucky.

I have that kind of luck. I really like the knife. I will get it sharp and report back.

If you'd rather not sharpen it yourself (VG-1 is not always easy to sharpen), you can send it to Cold Steel and for like eight bucks they'll give it the edge they're famous for.

That is unusual. My San Mai SRK shaved my arm hair, out of the box. That's my expectation from a great company like Cold Steel.

I wouldn't pay them to sharpen it -- it should've been sharp, out of the box ... just contact them and let them know what you've experienced and they should make it right. Again, don't pay for it -- you already paid for the blade to be sharpened when you made the initial purchase.

After closer inspection.....
From the tip to just past the curve in the blade is dull. .--after that it's like it should be.."hair popping" sharp.

I'm going to sit down tonight and doctor it up. I'll see if the strop and green/black combo gets it done--if not I'll break out the stones.

Well, the deed is done. It took a little elbow grease, but it shaves with ease now. Thank God for 2000 grit paper and green compound. Pics asap

How good is this San Mai III steel? Does it need oil like 1095 or less attention like D2? Also, What other knives are similar to the SRK? Someone had said the F1 was similar.

The Fallkniven F2 is similar I think.

San Mai III is Cold Steel's brand of laminated steel. It has a VG-1 core and 420J2 side panels. It's pretty excellent, in short. I've got a Recon Tanto in San Mai III. It doesn't require any special attention, just keep it clean. I keep mine oiled despite San Mai III's excellent rust resistance.

It wasn't hard to get it right, just took a while. Almost like D2 or 154CM

Over the years I have got a couple of knives that were dull or close to it. My Laredo was one blade had a little edge False edge was a butter knife. My X2 Voyager VG-1 wasn't cold steel sharp. I got it sharp but the Laredo need a cold steel sharping . I didn't know I could send them in to be sharpened . Guess I need to call

No it isn't normal, every cold steel knife I've bought came razor sharp (with the exception of machetes). Try sharpening it, it should easily take a razor sharp edge, if not then something is wrong with the steel or you got hosed with a fake.

Im looking to get an RTSM3, and an SRKSM3. I'LL BE SURE to purchase from a reputable dealer. The only thing I ever do w/ a SM3 blade is sharpen/hone w/ Spyderco white stones (if need be) and slap on a little EEZOX Gun Care CLP, allow the "carrier/cleaner" portion to evaporate, put it in its sheathe and store it.

Back