New Council Tool Jersey axe from flea market=BIG SAVINGS

Hi Everyone

This past Sunday, 5/6/2017, I purchased a NEW Council Tool Jersey Pattern Axe FOR ONLY $26.00. THIS IS APPROXIMATELY A SAVINGS OF $30-$35. NEW! Never been sharpened.

Deals like this can be found every day at flea markets. CHECK ALL OF YOUR FLEA MARKETS
FOR REAL DEALS ON EVERYTHING FROM OLDER VINTAGE AXES TO MY NEW FIND OF A NEW STRAIGHT HANDLED JERSEY COUNCIL TOOL AXE.

I reshaped the straight handle to a nice slender, smooth and whippy axe handle. Now, I will
sand all of the red paint off the axe and totally SUBMERGE in apple cider vinegar-removing the rust and giving the axe a nice patina that prevents rust.

Check out the flea markets. Great deals! HOPE that this gift to another young axman is a lifelong experience of good woodsmanship.

ripshin

Hi Everyone

This past Sunday, 5/6/2017, I purchased a NEW Council Tool Jersey Pattern Axe FOR ONLY $26.00. THIS IS APPROXIMATELY A SAVINGS OF $30-$35. NEW! Never been sharpened.

Deals like this can be found every day at flea markets. CHECK ALL OF YOUR FLEA MARKETS
FOR REAL DEALS ON EVERYTHING FROM OLDER VINTAGE AXES TO MY NEW FIND OF A NEW STRAIGHT HANDLED JERSEY COUNCIL TOOL AXE.

I reshaped the straight handle to a nice slender, smooth and whippy axe handle. Now, I will
sand all of the red paint off the axe and totally SUBMERGE in apple cider vinegar-removing the rust and giving the axe a nice patina that prevents rust.

Check out the flea markets. Great deals! HOPE that this gift to another young axman is a lifelong experience of good woodsmanship.

ripshin
Right on score for you! Scoping out flea markets can be positive as long as you know what you're looking for and know what it's worth. Those two attributes are rare, as is expecting their sellers to be naive.
Ripshin I hope you enjoy using your $26 Jersey more so than you would have had to had you forked over $70. Same axe; entirely different mindset.

Right on score for you! Scoping out flea markets can be positive as long as you know what you're looking for and know what it's worth. Tho two attributes are rare, as is expecting their sellers to be naive.
Ripshin I hope you enjoy using your $26 Jersey more so than you would have had to had you forked over $70. Same axe; entirely different mindset.

Hi 300six

I agree that many people do not know the going value of axes. E Bay seems, to me, to be the trend setter on establishing axe head prices. The best deal I ever made on E Bay was two vintage axe heads for $12=$6.00 per head. One was a 3 1/2 lb Collins single bit and the other was a 3 1/2 lb True Temper Kelly single bit. $6.95 shipping +$12.00=18.95 divided by 2=$9.47
per axe head. Now add a select grade House Handle for $12.00=$21.47 each. Not bad for a superior vintage axes. They made nice gifts to young family members who love the outdoors.

However, my very best quality and best priced axe deals have come from my local flea market.

ripshin

Hi Everyone

ripshin
A new regular Council tool Jersey sells for about $35. I think you saved about $10 if you would have bought it from a hardware store. And a bit more if you bought it online. The Classic Jersey sells for $45. If nobody sells locally you definitely eat it on the shipping, but still. Nice find, I'm just clarifying.
I got a Michigan for $6 online once. Once I cleaned it up, It had very little temper left in the bit, despite the fact it was close to what you would expect in size and weight, and the eye was off top and bottom in a odd way. I hung it and hated it. It's a crapshoot if you buy cheep and not where you can put your hands on it first.

Last edited:
A new regular Council tool Jersey sells for about $35. I think you saved about $10 if you would have bought it from a hardware store. And a bit more if you bought it online. The Classic Jersey sells for $45. If nobody sells locally you definitely eat it on the shipping, but still. Nice find, I'm just clarifying.
I got a Michigan for $6 online once. Once I cleaned it up, It had very little temper left in the bit, despite the fact it was close to what you would expect in size and weight, and the eye was off top and bottom in a odd way. I hung it and hated it. It's a crapshoot if you buy cheep and not where you can put your hands on it first.
The cost , in my Northeast Tennessee hardware store, is around $48.00 dollars + tax. Other online retailers show around $50.00 +shipping(expensive). ZORO Tools will sell us a 3 1/2 lb Council tool Dayton pattern axe for $33.00 +$5.00 shipping. This is a good deal. ZORO is an online retailer.

ripshin

The cost , in my Northeast Tennessee hardware store, is around $48.00 dollars + tax. Other online retailers show around $50.00 +shipping(expensive). ZORO Tools will sell us a 3 1/2 lb Council tool Dayton pattern axe for $33.00 +$5.00 shipping. This is a good deal. ZORO is an online retailer.

ripshin
You can find them all day long at the prices I mentioned.
As far as your hardware store, if I was you I would look at both the suggested retail price, then the price that council tool will sell you one, then I would go have a good long talk with the owner of said store.

They are $46.65 Plus shipping direct from Council, Amazon is $42.95 plus shipping.

There may be some cheaper options, but at $48, his store isn't over charging, sounds like it is right where it should be for a brick and mortar reseller.

All this diatribe about "cheap" isn't really doing Council Tools a favour. I pray to G they're not cutting all the corners that the marketers, distributors and shippers are taking.

They are $46.65 Plus shipping direct from Council, Amazon is $42.95 plus shipping.

There may be some cheaper options, but at $48, his store isn't over charging, sounds like it is right where it should be for a brick and mortar reseller.
Not if they want to be competitive. I paid $45 from a forestry supplier online for a Council Classic Jersey.

Not if they want to be competitive. I paid $45 from a forestry supplier online for a Council Classic Jersey.
All I can tell you is that they are not out of line with other mainstream sellers. That's all. Brick and mortar never competes with the cheapest online sellers.

All I can tell you is that they are not out of line with other mainstream sellers. That's all. Brick and mortar never competes with the cheapest online sellers.
Perhaps, it is just my opinion. But buying wholesale, in this case ax packs in increasing volume and lowering price and then selling an ax that is meant to compete with Collins and true temper "hardware store" axes at the same as online price of the ax that is the next pricing level up, or the same as you can buy the same ax direct from the manufacturer seems a bit steep, and kind of like they are playing on the ignorance of the customer.

My point is, they are not selling at "the next pricing level up" if they are within a few dollars of Amazon. Pick your product, there are always a handful of online retailers that are willing to make next to nothing on certain products. That doesn't mean that everyone else is scamming the public.

In a brick and mortar store you can choose your own axe so you're not at the mercy of the kid filling orders for the online retailer. That's worth something.

In a brick and mortar store you can choose your own axe so you're not at the mercy of the kid filling orders for the online retailer. That's worth something.
I absolutely agree. I happen to have a trustworthy online dealer. I still would rather choose myself. Because.

My point is, they are not selling at "the next pricing level up" if they are within a few dollars of Amazon. Pick your product, there are always a handful of online retailers that are willing to make next to nothing on certain products. That doesn't mean that everyone else is scamming the public.
The classic Jersey is $46 on Amazon. The red railsplitter can be found for , lol, $36 and $43 on Amazon. And to be clear, a lot of stores "online" have storefront as well. The place I buy from as a matter of fact. And also happened to have the lowest price. They are a large forestry provider.
I did not pull the numbers out of my butt. I looked for quite some time at both axes online as I wanted to add them to my rotation. After the classic I am all set with what would be the next step down.
Again, take it how you will, selling a railsplitter for more than I can get a Classic for in several different places is laughable, and any informed consumer would not pay that price, especially when the average seems to be low to mid 30s.

I would imagine it is that kind foolish pricing that drives the uninformed consumer to just purchase at the next trip to a big box store and buy a husky, or a true American, or a Collins for far less. They do not know the difference, as far as they are concerned they just got a far better deal.

Back