New CS Moderator.

If they do send someone, I hope it's someone who knows their products inside and out, knows the company's policies inside and out (like warranty/return policies), and is actually knowledgeable about knives in general and capable of accurately answering questions.

Otherwise there's no point. I think the last thing we need is a token rep who doesn't know squat and answers every question with "I'll have to check and get back to you", or a company shill who only chimes in to promote the company's products.

If it's just a corporation looking to make every last dollar they can, rather than a knife company run and populated by people with a genuine passion for knives, that might explain their lack of presence here.

Or maybe they don't see enough activity here to make them think sending a rep is justified.

If they do send someone, I hope it's someone who knows their products inside and out, knows the company's policies inside and out (like warranty/return policies), and is actually knowledgeable about knives in general and capable of accurately answering questions.

Otherwise there's no point. I think the last thing we need is a token rep who doesn't know squat and answers every question with "I'll have to check and get back to you", or a company shill who only chimes in to promote the company's products.

If it's just a corporation looking to make every last dollar they can, rather than a knife company run and populated by people with a genuine passion for knives, that might explain their lack of presence here.

Or maybe they don't see enough activity here to make them think sending a rep is justified.
Think they got rid of all those people after the buyout.

Frankly, I don't want a moderator on this subform anymore. For one thing, no one at GSM is qualified to oversee a knife forum. Keith Beam has been at the helm of Cold Steel for over a year now, and, based on his SHOT Show and other interviews, he doesn't appear to know any more about knives or Cold Steel than he did back when he was appealing to fans to tell him which discontinued "units" to bring back. My experience with other GSM Cold Steel employees has shown them to be less informed even than Beam.

For another thing, the contributors to this subforum are far more knowledgeable about Cold Steel's history, catalog, and lineage than any Cold Steel representative I've ever spoken to (except Lynn, of course). We own more of the products, too.

Finally, the presence of an official company moderator tends to turn the subforum into a tedious, ineffective Customer Service Center. Back when we had a Cold Steel moderator, his signature line highlighted the fact that the subforum was not to be used for customer service requests, and yet he was bombarded with inquiries constantly. We haven't had a company rep here for years, and still we're subjected to posts from people complaining about product issues all the time (some posters don't seem to have anything else to say beyond whining over some past grievance). Why would I want more of that?

As far as I'm concerned, what we've got here is good enough. I'm saddened that no one associated with Cold Steel is more interested in engaging with us. But that's been the case for most of my time on these Forums. It seems that many in the knife industry tend to forget that they need us far more than we need them. That's fine. We do a pretty good job of educating and informing each other.

-Steve

P.S. - I don't want to be unfair to any past/present Cold Steel employees who may be reading this, thinking that they could moderate this subforum. So here's a little quiz.

1. What model is this?
2. Is that the correct sheath for it?
3. What years was it in production?
4. What color box did it come in?

IMG-2874.jpg

If you can answer these questions correctly without referring to any of the materials collected by the members of this subforum, you're qualified to be our moderator.

Well I mailed GSM with a question about Cold Steel. That's one week ago now, and no answer. It's obvious how much they care about their customers. All they want to do is shift boxes. I wish them good luck!

Well I mailed GSM with a question about Cold Steel. That's one week ago now, and no answer. It's obvious how much they care about their customers. All they want to do is shift boxes. I wish them good luck!
To be fair, the old CS was pretty hit or miss responding to emails too.

Back