New "CUDA Claw" : Flat or Hollow Ground?

Phil Gibbs

Cutlery Student
Platinum Member
We are about to make a new CUDA. Blade is 3 5/8 long .160" thick ATS-34 hawkbill blade with full serrations.

Do you think blade should be hollow ground or full flat ground? Why?

View picture of hand made prototype:
CUDACLAW.jpg

TIA for the help

[This message has been edited by Spark (edited 16 March 1999).]

In a .16" thick folder blade, methinks a hollow grind would be easier to keep sharp. It would also be a bit lighter.

By the way, the picture didn't come out on screen, but I presume it looks scary if you think of it as a raptor claw, and not so scary if you think of it as a garden tool, which is what hawk's bill blades traditionally are.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

Phil,

I got found the picture in the uploads section, it seems that you had made a typo in the html, but I am no expert..

By looking at the knife, I think that it might just be better being flat ground, especially if you plan on keeping with those nasty (read :cool looking) serrations...

YeK

Are the serrations only ground on one side?? Will that make a difference between hollow and flat grinds?? I suppose it will, but I'm not exactly sure why.
Blades

Blades,

I figgered that with a hollow grind that a deep aggressive serration pattern would be more fragile. As always, I could be wrong. Plus I kinda like the looks of it as it is.

YeK

I say flat ground.

1. For strength

2. For me,when a serrated pattern is selected because of its desirability in cutting fibrous material,ease of sharpening is usually not of paramount importance,else a plain edge would have been originally chosen.

3. Utilizing a hollow grind to lighten a blade intentionally crafted of hefty stock .160 for sturdiness,seems..err. wasteful and inefficient,IMO.

4. And Mikey(Yek)likes it too!

Stay safe and all the best, Phil <----<

I say flat ground. BTW, what, if any, are the chances of the Claw being offered in plain edge?

------------------
smile.gif
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Christian (edited 25 March 1999).]

Back