New Custom 110

Lenny

Gold Member
Well, this is probably my 4th custom 110.
(S30V Drop Point Blade, Nickel silver bolsters, Ebony handle scales)
None have been perfect and this one is no different.
The Good:
- it's beautiful
- no blade wobble
- smooth action
- stupid sharp with matching edge bevels
- mostly great fit and finish

The Bad:
- blade isn't centered, but no blade rubbing
- there are "voids" on both sides of the lock release in the nickel silver bolster (hopefully this shows in the pic); these are basically only cosmetic but still, they stand out.

I don't know what to think. On one hand the knife was only $118 and perfection cannot be expected.
Both the non-centered blade and voids in the bolster are visible to the naked eye. So, that means that the final QC guy saw them and approved it for shipment anyway.
On the other hand, WTF? Charge a little more and do a better job, both in construction and QC. I wouldn't have any problem paying $200 for a perfect example of this knife.
Your thoughts?
IMG_2822.jpeg IMG_2823.jpeg IMG_2824.jpeg

My thoughts are...
The blade centering is not perfect but not bad and, for me,acceptable. I think the gouges in the lock release are not acceptable and I would request a shipping label, send it back and have it replaced or repaired.

Shiny. Not sure if I am seeing voids or reflections.

In picture with blade open, I do see what might be scratches (could just as easy be a smudge) on one bolster.
Is that you wearing a white or pale yellow ball cap I see in the reflection?

I know shiny is difficult to photograph.

Shiny. Not sure if I am seeing voids or reflections.

In picture with blade open, I do see what might be scratches (could just as easy be a smudge) on one bolster.
Is that you wearing a white or pale yellow ball cap I see in the reflection?

I know shiny is difficult to photograph.

You're definitely seeing voids/gouges I assure you.
The scratches on the bolster in the open blade picture are from the leather sheath they also sent.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that too.
Definitely not quality all around.
And no, I'm not wearing a white or yellow ball cap.
That's my bald ass head! : )

I see what looks like gouges in the edge of the bolster next to the lock bar in the 1st picture. If that is what you are talking about than you should return the knife for a replacement.
The blade off center wouldn't bother me too much but that is just me. The gouges surely would though.

In the end it is not up to us but up to you if it is acceptable or not. If not than get in touch with Buck about it and I am 100% positive they will take care of it..

Thanks all.
I just sent an email to them with pix.
Probably won't hear anything till next week.
I'll keep you posted.
BTW, I can live with the slightly off center blade too.
The gouges/voids, definitely not.

The gouges I would be upset about. That's it though for me.

As far as the gaps IMO, there is acceptable and excessive. From what I can see, you're not too far from either so it's a matter of opinion.

A solitary pin that is peened/crushed for a blade pivot... they do good to keep the blade from hitting the bolsters, so I'm not bothered about centering on a 110 or similar, so long as it's not touching the frame I'm fine with it. Good thing centering isn't scrutinized on slip joint, right? Anything with blades on opposite ends would fail. :D

The 110 is about as primitive as a folding lock back can be. You can't judge it using the same standards you would a more "complicated" design.

Not taking a shot at the OPs observations, in the end it's only your opinion that matters.

Just saying that because a VW Beetle and Porsche Carrera come from the same factory doesn't mean they have the same standards.

I'd keep it if I intended on using it,if it was going into my collection it would go back to Buck for warranty repair.

Back