new custom 110

Just got my new custom 110 today. I gotta admit that I am a little disappointed. I think they may have been in a big hurry to get the custom knives shipped out before the big move. First let me say that I own two other 110's, an elk handled custom and a plain jane model. So I do have something to compare the new knife to. First item - The bolsters on the new knife have plenty of small scratches on them. This may have been caused by the fact that the yellow box was opened and the knife was sliding around inside the shipping box when I got it. No big deal, I can live with that since I plan to use this knife and it will get a lot more scratches on it. Second item - The knife has a good bit of crud on it. Polishing compound, metal residue, gunk, whatever you want to call it. I can feel and hear the grit when working the blade. This may be why the blade seems to be rubbing against something, and not working smoothly. Surely, it could have been cleaned off before shipping it out. Third item - I have to push the rocker (I believe that is the correct term)as hard as I can in order to get the blade to close. In fact, I can't push it hard enough using my left hand, but I can barely push it hard enough with my right hand. (Being right handed.) Fourth item - I ordered a Cordura sheath, but was sent a leather one. There is nothing wrong with a leather sheath, but I already own three other leather sheaths for the 110 and really wanted a Cordura one.
Before I get flamed for saying something negative on this forum, let me say that I own and use at least a dozen Buck knives and I really like them. In the past few months, I've bought a number of Buck knives as gifts. Some were given to my nephews, and some were sent to soldiers in Iraq. My elk handled 110 is just about the slickest and most beautiful knife I own. The newest 110 is a beautiful knife, but it isn't nearly as slick as the other custom 110. Heck it isn't nearly as slick as my barely-used plain jane model.
No need to tell me that Buck will make it right, I already know that. I can clean it, polish it, and break it in eventually myself. I've already talked to a local engraver about engraving the bolsters, so I'll just keep it the way it is and move on. And I'll probably order more custom 110's in the future. They are a great knife for a great price. Maybe I just got a stinker. I'm just wondering if anyone else on the forum has gotten a stinker lately...

Sorry to hear about the QC problems on your latest order.

First, I'm a huge Buck knife fan. I have several customs. My stag handled 110 is a sight to behold. Wow.

The only complaint I have is that on my last one, Asian buffalo horn, I ordered rivets. They were finished nicely on one side, but on the opposite side, the pins didn't have heads on them. They looked unfinished on close inspection. Everything else about the knife - BG-42 blade, nickel bolsters, lock up - was first rate.

The knife was a gift for a friend and I didn't have time to send it back. It hasn't changed my opinion of Buck or their overall quality, but mistakes happen. My solution? Next custom, no rivets.

The custom 110 I just received in the mail last week was without the rivets and I have to admit, I like it better without them. The rivets on the newer knives are larger than the original and I think detract from the appearance of the scales, particularly when it's something special like elk horn.

I think Buck fans have a right to expect First-Rate quality the first time around on a custom ordered knife, especially at a premium price.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I am sure Buck will fix anything yor not happy about. I have 3 PCS 110's, and all of them had that black stuff in the pivot, but it cleaned right out with a little mineral oil. Also all of mine were very tight and took a lot of pressure on the lock release to unlock them, but that quickly got easier with use.

Hope you enjoy your new knife.

p.s. I get my Asian Buff' horn one today, due to weather my family is having our xmass today, and they got me one that came a month ago, but wouldn't let me have it yet...THE FIENDS!

Leob, I'm sorry to read of your disappointment with the new knife. I would urge you to return it to Buck and let them address the issues that bother you. I'm afraid if this was my knife I would never be truly pleased with it until it met my expectations.

Based upon my past experiences with Buck, I'm sure they will correct everything to your satisfaction.

That said, I too received a Buck Custom 110 this week and could not be more pleased with Buck's service or the quality of this knife. Like you, I have owned and used several 110's and 112's since the early 1970's. I was lucky to get one that is, quite simply, perfect.

Good luck with whatever you decide for your new 110 and Merry Christmas.

dan

ABN

I really wasn't going to mention this on the forum, but since Leob brought it up...

I received a custom 110 in November that was absolutely filthy with the same type of polishing crud that Leob complains about. Took me about an hour to get it all out. But the detail that really bothered me was a gap between the front bolster and the oak scale -- large enough to slide a piece of paper between them.

In December, I sent a 112 back to get a BG-42 blade. The knife was a real beauty, a 2002 model with great lockup and the anvil blade stamp. What I got back was awful. The front bolsters were not fit snugly against the blade and the lockbar, and there was plenty of vertical and horizontal blade play. I was disgusted, and the knife went immediately in the trash can.

I've carried Buck knives for a long time, I'm a lifetime member of the Buck Collectors Club, and I will continue to support Buck. But I'm going to wait a while to see what kind of quality comes out of Idaho, with their 200+ rookie employees. I have not been impressed with the last knives that rolled off the San Diego production line.

Alex

I would have sent both knives back until they got it right -- to MY satisfaction -- and insisted on Buck paying the postage both ways !!

You will never change inferior workmanship by ignoring it. If we let this kind of thing slide by, it will become accepted as "normal".

Last resort: Get a refund!