New Date codes

I've had sellers like that, as I'm sure we all have. Flip of that though is a gentleman I've been going back and forth with in "messages" about CRKs. I made an offer on one of his and while I didn't end up buying it he's been a great back-n-forth communicator... truly a collector sort and not just an "eBay seller". Refreshing.
I while back I had a similar experience with a gentleman in Florida. I purchased a Cripple Creek from him and we had a few very pleasant and informative back and forths. As you say. "refreshing". :)

Last edited:
We missed adding the date code in place of the asterisk :)
Thank you for your reply. I'm just trying to be clear - For the June 2021 BOTM, the 2021 date code was not entered into the program/machine during production. The program/machine defaulted to an Asterisk for the date code on the June 2021 BOTM ?

I just wanna say that I have to commend Buck for actually putting a true tang stamp on most of their knives let alone a date code.
The only other manufacturer I know of doing this is Case and there are knives they don't date code.
As far as modern knives goes I'm out of it so I could be wrong but it seems the norm is a lazer etch.

Buck is just plain better than everyone else.

My current understanding is Buck "stamps" 420HC and etches harder steels due to microfracturing caused by the mechanical stamp.
That could be why it's not as common these days.
Still though, Gerber stopped doing it and they use a lot of 420hc, I believe Kershaw uses steels in this range on most of their more affordable knives and they don't do it.

Buck just cares more.

Just come up with something for old man eyes. The '19-'22 were pretty tough to tell which side the dot was on.
Also there seemed to be a trend to making the code smaller confounding the problem.

Start a "No . In The Date Code" Campaign ?

Production note - all . Must be especially small in all media produced, to include all banners, t-shirts, etc

It looks to me like 2007-10 were modifications of 1986-89, 2011-2014 were mostly modified from 1995-98, 2015-18 were an adaptation of 1999-2001 and 2019-22 were modifications of 2003-06. There's somewhat of a repeating pattern and I don't see that Buck has any more series to modify. One problem I see with simply adding the date is the stamp for the 110 hunter, for example, would look something like:

BUCK
U.S.A.

BUCK
110 23
U.S.A.

BUCK
U.S.A.

BUCK
110 2023
U.S.A.

That might be confusing, making some think it is model 11023, 1102023, etc. Maybe the best option would be to just go alphabetically - was J J Hubbard referring to the zigzag being a Z?

BUCK
110 Z
U.S.A.

BUCK
110 A
U.S.A.

BUCK
110 B
U.S.A.

They would gain 21 years of date symbols out of this scheme - C, T, U, V and X have already been used. Hmmm.

I would think Buck will be starting to stamp and etch date codes for next year soon. Has anyone seen what the new symbol will be?

Back