New design, Tell me what ya think!

Sounds Good to me. I sent you an e-mail a few minutes ago. Just let me know when she's ready to go to town!

Responded to email, Thanks IMWilson!

Ok so I looking over what has been posted I drew this quick sketch of what i envision you knife looking like. I could be completely off...what do you think?

2011-06-20004427.jpg

maybe a little to much swell at the bottom

Alan, grab a file and go to work! Nice one my friend. Since I want an all around woods knife I am going to have a straighter handle. That one would make a killer comfy skinner though! The Willow blade is just so dang purdy isn't it

Its also opposite of what I was thinking. My drawing is not the thickness profile but rather the actual profile.

It really is. I actually want to make knives, but now is just not a good time, because I know as soon as I start I wont be able to stop. I don't know if you know Aldo, but he sells steel, and is based out of NJ. I was looking around for someone to show me the basics of knife making on the forum...well he found me and invited me out to a hammer in they were having at his shop. It was a blast. My first day on an anvil I forged 4 knife blades. Unfortunately being a student at West Point isn't really compatible with a hobby like making blades, and the blades are in one of my trunks waiting for the day they can be finished. I have to leave for training at Fort Sill in a couple weeks, but after that I report to Alaska. When I get there i am gonna set up a forge and buy all the necessary equipment and really give it a go in my spare time. I have loved knives for so long I just feel like I could be really good at it.

that is not necessarily how thick I would make it, but it was the best way I could visualize the shape/profile. I feel like thickness is one of those things you kind of have tailor to each individual knife. I haven't made a handle before so i can't say for sure how thick I would make it:confused:

I get my steel from Aldo! I bet it was a blast. I was the same way. Always wanted to make knives but when I had the time I never had the money. After many years and many kids later I finally decided to give it a go. I still don't really have the time but I have an understanding wife! I had Bill make me a bunch of customs last year and we became good friends along the way. He invited me up to his shop early this Spring for a few days to kind of show me the ropes. The rest is history. Ive come along way in what, 3 or 4 months. Its a frustrating thing but you get better with every knife. Mine aren't perfect, but I set goals on what I would focus on first and work on the rest later. Give it a shot man, you will get hooked.

Oh, and thank you for your service my friend.

Its a small world. It seems like everyone gets their steel from Aldo. I ordered a knife from Daniel Winkler a while back, and found out that his shop was located in Blowing Rock, NC. I live in Marshall so its not too far away. I actually used to go to college (before the Army) in Boone (the next town over). Anyway a long story short, I ended going out to check out his shop and while we were talking I found out that he gets his steel from Aldo too.

my 2 cents for the hell of it . I like Alans drawing except for the dip on the spine where the handle meets the ricasso ( you know me Chris ) . Also , forget the palm swell , a rounded fat handle egg shaped , fatter at the top-thinner at the bottom .

Also , I like the wife's . My wife has a syderco folder with the same blade shape .

Just wanted to say hello not joining your cult . :eek: :D

Hey Jack! You dont have to join, just stop by now and again. I value your opinion

Chris, I've always liked a willow leaf blade. Yours looks to be coming out nicely. You seem to already have a knack for eye-pleasing, comfortable handles and I've no doubt this one will turn out terrific. In my mind's eye I've always pictured one with a handle that begins slightly wider than the blade, then slightly tapers in symetrically to the mid- point, then back out to the butt; in two opposing concave arcs. From their apices, symmetrical convex curves would delineate the butt and the front end of the handle. Some palm swell on the dissecting plane would give some amazing purchase while preserving the versatility of grip choices. I guess a coke bottle with the same size neck as butt Lol, just sticking something into your subconscious there.

English man, speak freaking english!

Chris, make the knife how you think it will feel and work best. So far I like the profile, simple is never a bad thing.

By the way, you're wife's knife has some great curves to it. That rear curve in the handle looks oh so comfy!

Three posts and your in Jack! Somebody bring up straight spines, quick!

NO NO , Chris is doing a great job .
Wait , my 2nd. post here today , oh no , I'm getting sucked in ,:eek: run Jack run .;)

. . .this is good stuff . . . :)
Normally, it takes one of BA's or KFU's "sell ice to an Eskimo" sales pitches on their knives to suck you in . . . . the forum did at with one post . . . . :D :D :D
Welcome Jack, thanks for your thoughts . . .
Be safe.

NO NO , Chris is doing a great job .

Wait , my 2nd. post here today , oh no , I'm getting sucked in ,:eek: rum Jack rum .;)

there ya go - fixed it for you.
better than plain kool-aid any day of the week. :D

Well,my two favorites were the bottom two....

the lady's design....and of course:the WharnieSheepie!

:D

~Gnarly

P.S. Time to go open a new thread here....and a bigass can o' worms....;)

Chris, there is just something about those 2nd & 3rd ones (Bushcraft) that have that "look" for some reason . . . . . :thumbup:
Great design buddy.
Be safe.

Back