New DLT Exclusive Hinderer XM-18 3.5" Spearpoint with a Swedge

Reviving an old thread here, but as I read through, I didn't notice anyone respond to the inquiry about sharpening it with a fixed system. Anyone successful or not with it? Thanks!

I have sharpened mine twice with my lansky. First time, I used a tiny tab of leather (1” square) between the clamp and blade to grip the swedge with trial and error and limited success. Eventually got a good enough grip to sharpen it. It worked but I thought there must be a better way. The 2nd time, I took the whole knife apart and attached the clamp to the completely flat bit where the jimping/ stud is. This was a much better grip and much more reliable than the first attempt. However due to the distance from the clamp to the tip it reprofiled the edge of the blade to look more like the grind on a Spyderco Vallotton or a WE knife 601 or 606 etc. Probably not to everyone’s tastes but it works for me. And I quite like a large bevel.

I am also curious how people use clamps to make sure the blade does not.move during sharpening. ZT 0452 presents the same challenge.

Has anyone also picked up the fullered spear from DLT? I'm curious if those are as thin behind the edge as some are saying about the swedged spear? I'd love to hear from someone who owns one.

Hi guys, has anyone considered doing a DIY detent ball ramp?
I'm considering filing out a tiny angled groove where the detent ball catches the blade when you start to close it.
I find it mildly annoying when it stops it from drop shutting.

I've had a quick search and couldn't see anything answering my question.

Hi guys, has anyone considered doing a DIY detent ball ramp?

Funny you should ask. I'll be doing this very thing tomorrow. That, touching up on the ano & installing the PB washers for a try. I'll post pics when I'm done.

W WKFClark I've come to conclusion my xm18 really doesn't need a ramp. I've done plenty of different pieces that really needed it but my XM18 is really good. I've got some pics from others I've done & it's the same process. They do have vids on Boobtube for other knives that are good guides to start from. If you don't have a rotary tool, a good set of diamond jewelers files will work. Good luck!

I’m still in two minds. Whilst I find it annoying when it catches, it doesn’t happen most of the time. Since it’s been broken in a bit I can clearly see where the detent ball runs so it would be fairly straight forward as I know exactly where to put the groove. It’s just that once it’s done it can’t be undone. And I really don’t feel like messing up the lock up or anything if for some reason it goes horribly wrong. I’ll have a look at some videos.

Good idea, thanks for the examples. got a rough idea of how much material to take off if I go down that road.

Back