New Drop Forged Knives

The Drop Forged Bowie was inspired by a knife in Lynn Thompsons privare collection (made by an Arkansas based knife maker). Any idea who this Arkansas based knife maker might be? Isn't Jerry Fisk from Arkansas?

has anyone tried to strip the coating on one of these beasts yet? just ordered the survivalist and REALLY want to remove that bronze coating. im wondering if paint remover would work?

I've been thinking about this, too. Judging by how easily it chips off, I'm guessing some paint stripper would work (Citristrip, Jasco, etc.). I already have a few spots of bronze chipped off around the tip of my Survivalist, from sticking it into an old piece of railroad tie in my backyard, exposing the black finish underneath.

Down with the paint!

19935931.png

19916069.png

The drop forged knives are excellent designs. The one thing that would vastly improve them is to upgrade the finish to DLC.

They have a drop forged Hunter with black finish. Even though its not DLC at least when the finish starts to wear off it would look better than the bronze/silver wearing away. For some reason I had thought that the drop forged knives were polished metal with a clear coat.

By the way, I would be willing to pay a few dollars more for DLC finish on these drop forged knives, wouldn't you?

Anyone know what the thickness of the steel is in the center part of the Survivalist handle? Is it the same as the blade or forged super thin?

Eagerly awaiting my order of :
I couldn't find too many real use reviews for this model . Except for the coatings , I have great expectations .

That survivalist is pretty nice for the price. I think maybe you could dip that handle in rinohide or a plastic/rubber dip to give it a not so slick finish as well as some padding/insulation from the cold.

Any of you guys try all the drop forged line? Which one do you recommend? It would not be a user so design purpose is not a big deal. I just want to try one for the cool factor. For this reason I am leaning towards the boot knife. Recommendations?

Any of you guys try all the drop forged line? Which one do you recommend? It would not be a user so design purpose is not a big deal. I just want to try one for the cool factor. For this reason I am leaning towards the boot knife. Recommendations?
Looks good to me ! I was ready to order the boot knife but veered toward the small bowie at the last second . Just thought I probably use it more . They are all made the same way , so more a matter of what type knife you want most . If I didn't already have so many big Bowie's I'd probably have bought the Survivalist .

I have and like all three. But if I had to choose a favorite it would be the Bowie.

Thanks. That may be all I needed to sway me to the Bowie. I was first drawn to the Bowie but I read someone say that the curved handle was not comfortable. I have small hands so probably not a problem.

Thanks. That may be all I needed to sway me to the Bowie. I was first drawn to the Bowie but I read someone say that the curved handle was not comfortable. I have small hands so probably not a problem.
depends how you will use it.

i have all three. the boot knife is double edged. awkward for normal cutting tasks. so as a weapon great, as a daily cutter awkward at best.

survival knife.....big and cluncky. good for what it is, but as a carry use daily knife odd. the one piece setup is great but goldish coating is slippery and hardly a knife id grab for outdoor use first over many others i habe that work better.

the bowie. great weapon, okay for cutting tasks. not great but best of the three due to size and setup and such.

all three are knives and can be used to cut obviously. none of them i find to be great for daily cutters. great for what they are. being one pieced forged 52100 steel knives. while i like and enjoy mine i dont find the one piece forged to be really useful compared to more.traditonal designs with scales that provide far better grip. that said grip tape type products solves that complaint.

depends how you will use it.

i have all three. the boot knife is double edged. awkward for normal cutting tasks. so as a weapon great, as a daily cutter awkward at best.

survival knife.....big and cluncky. good for what it is, but as a carry use daily knife odd. the one piece setup is great but goldish coating is slippery and hardly a knife id grab for outdoor use first over many others i habe that work better.

the bowie. great weapon, okay for cutting tasks. not great but best of the three due to size and setup and such.

all three are knives and can be used to cut obviously. none of them i find to be great for daily cutters. great for what they are. being one pieced forged 52100 steel knives. while i like and enjoy mine i dont find the one piece forged to be really useful compared to more.traditonal designs with scales that provide far better grip. that said grip tape type products solves that complaint.
Thanks! Kinda confirms my conclusions from just research with no hands on . I figure I'll wrap the handle of the Bowie with self-fusing silicon tape . Works pretty good on my all metal throwing knives .

Back