1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New EDC Addition - Runt

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by _Westy_, Mar 24, 2017.

1. _Westy_

_Westy_

Dec 19, 2009
    My little Fiddleback family is growing - yesterday the Runt I picked up from Kirkwood arrived safely. The Runt is a knife I have been intrigued with since first finding Fiddleback a number of years back. Something else always got in the way of the purchase but after looking at a bunch of them, I started to think about what I would want in a Runt. I knew for a fact I wanted to try one with 3/32 stock and I wanted to join the Osage crave that has been going on lately. Sunday night I happened to be scrolling through the Flea market, drooling over my keyboard looking at all the gorgeous knives that were looking for new homes and there it was. A little Osage Runt in 3/32 A2 - love at first sight.

Yesterday the package arrived and I was quick yo tear into it. I knew the Runt was small but what I didn't expect is how good it feels in hand despite it's overall size - I wear a large size glove and for full disclosure work in an office setting so I don't have giant meat hooks for hands or sausages for fingers. The contours of the handle shape plus the thickness of the handle make for a nice feeling, compact package. In 3/32 stock it's incredibly light and disappears in your pocket - perfect for an office setting.

This is my first Fiddleback in Osage, my first in 3/32 stock, my first Runt and my first with a Scandi grind. I really am liking the Osage - it is simple with subtle hints of grain that pop in the sunlight and I love how it ages. I generally steer away from Scandi's and I'm perfect happy with a convex edge but the Scandi allows so much more of the spalting to be left on the blade and paired up with the thin stock I thought I would give it a try.

I am really looking forward to carrying and using this knife, I have a feeling it is going to get a lot of pocket time.

Enough rambling for now - I snapped a few quick pictures this morning as I was leaving for work - if the weather cooperates this weekend I will get some better shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Street Samurai Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2012
    Beautiful!!!

3. Kirkwood

Kirkwood Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Matt, those are some nice pics! I have a feel you're right that it will be getting lots of pocket time. Of my Fiddlebacks, the Runts and Sgian Dubh definitely get the most pocket time on office days.

4. prom52

prom52 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2014
    This one should age gracefully........sublime !

5. hasco

hasco Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Awesome pics! I thought long and hard about that one and I was getting close to biting when you swallowed it up. I have been hoping to get the right 3/32" scandi runt with a micarta or g10 handle but man that osage looks great in your pics!

6. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman RansomWildernessCo Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 13, 2013
    Awesome, I was very tempted to jump on that one too when Kris posted it. The size turns some off to the Runt, but I love it and this one looks amazing. Enjoy it!

7. TPVT

TPVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2012
    boy, that's nice Westy. thanks for the pics. i have been considering a runt for awhile. guess i better get one....:eek:

8. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Outstanding pics!!

9. Scotcha

Scotcha

Oct 25, 2013
    Super Runt and pics [emoji106]

10. _Westy_

_Westy_

Dec 19, 2009
    Thanks everyone! I took a few Fiddleback's including the new Runt down to my folks this weekend, dad and I are restoring a 1961 Shasta camper. On lunch break and between rain showers I had a chance to get the new Runt and a the others out for a few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trio I have with me for the weekend - the new Runt, my Hiking Buddy that I picked up last year (which has become my favorite knife of everything I own) and my newish-to-me Kephart that I have had for a few months. The black ash burl on this Kephart is outstanding.

[​IMG]

Shot of my Hiking Buddy

[​IMG]

Natural patina is coming along nicely

[​IMG]

Kephart - really loving using this knife as well. The previous PO had butchered the edge and I am slowing getting it back in shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe my favorite shot of the day...

[​IMG]

11. TPVT

TPVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2012
    wow. great pics! thanks!