New Edible Wild Plant Book Review

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by oldman/Marty, Jan 28, 2010.

1. oldman/Marty

oldman/Marty

Apr 23, 2006
    As most of you know I have spent most of my life studying and teaching folks about wild plants. I have even been called an internationally recognized plant expert. Although I hate the word expert I would say I know a lot more than most about this subject. So when I recently received a pre-publication copy of Samuel Thayer’s new book, Nature’s Garden, I was quite surprised and delighted. As always when I get something for free I am very skeptical but after opening the cover and browsing through it I realized that this is a keeper. I have over 100 books just on wild plants in my library but this one will get a lot of use and not just take up shelf space as most of the others do.
    After several days of reading through different chapters I would say that this probably the best book on foraging for wild plants that I have ever seen. It is the most thorough, comprehensive study of wild foods that I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Everything is written in a clear and concise manner. He goes into great detail on the plants, explains where to find them, how to harvest then how to prepare them for food. He also shows comparisons of poisonous look-alikes. The photography in the book is fantastic. I don’t know how anyone could spend that much time or have that much energy and ambition to put into writing such a book. He definitely loves what he is writing about and knows what he is talking about.
    This book will be on the top of my list for all of my students.
    As with any book about plants he can’t cover every one but he sure has included a whole lot. He even spends time dispelling myths about many plants. Most of his work centers around the 45th parallel so this covers most of the northern US plants and probably down to the central states and a good portion of southern Canada.
    It will not be available for sale in stores until after April 1st but can be purchased directly from the publisher. Forager’s Harvest N8757 Breakneck Rd. Birchwood, WI 54817. Cost is $24.95 Incl. shipping
    If you have any interest in learning about wild plants for food then this book is well worth it.
    Marty Simon

2. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    Marty,

So the pictures are good in it also and really aid in the ID?:thumbup:

3. dawsonbob

dawsonbob

Feb 18, 2009
    It's a pity that no one has done a book that well for those of us who live below the forty-fifth parallel, notably the Southwest. I would dearly love one.

4. hung-solo

hung-solo Banned BANNED

Jun 11, 2009
    and central to SE united states as well

5. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    :thumbup: Thanks! Added it to my Amazon wish list. They have it available for Pre-Order if anyone else is interested.

6. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    Foragers Harvest is a decent one for the SE.

7. Dnalsi

Dnalsi

Feb 25, 2009
    Marty,
    Thank you for the book tip.
    This sounds like the book we have been looking for :)

8. rocketbomb

rocketbomb

Apr 25, 2007
    Thanks for the heads up Marty, I will be looking for that one when it comes out.

9. DPKnives

DPKnives

Nov 6, 2007
    oldman/Marty I am on their website and the book I am seeing is The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants. I have not found Nature’s Garden. Am I missing something or is that the right book? Doug

10. tonym

tonym

Mar 18, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up Marty. What does Aggie say about the book? If she says it's good to go , then I'll buy it. :thumbup:

;)

11. oldman/Marty

oldman/Marty

Apr 23, 2006
    It is definitely Nature's Garden.
    It won't become available until April 1st. I got an early copy to preview.
    Oldman/Marty Simon

12. Marcelo Cantu

Marcelo Cantu

Jan 18, 2003
    Thanks for the review Marty. :thumbup:

13. ZombiesEatFree

ZombiesEatFree

Dec 7, 2009
    I'll have to pick this when when it comes out. Been in the market for this type of book!

14. Raining

Raining

Oct 13, 2006
    Do you find that there is a lot of overlap between what you consider the best edible plant books?

15. OldPhysics

OldPhysics

Sep 2, 2006
    Thank you. I shall look it up.:thumbup:

16. DOC-CANADA

DOC-CANADA

Apr 14, 2006
    Thanks for the heads-up, Marty. It just went on the list. I have The Forager's Harvest and find it to be quite good.

I'm assuming there will be no duplication in the new book?

Doc

BTW, here's a link to his website.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  17. oldman/Marty

oldman/Marty

Apr 23, 2006

18. halo2

halo2

Sep 13, 2005
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm interested to see it.

19. j williams

j williams

Nov 14, 2005
    Hell yeah. If you say its gtg, then Im gonna get it.

Thanks!

20. Sharp Eye

Sharp Eye

Feb 21, 2008
    Doc,
    Here is what the web site says about the new book:
    "a continuation of the work begun with The Forager's Harvest, Nature's Garden covers 41 new plants. Similar format with better photography and better printing quality. 512 pages."

Marty,
    Thanks for the great review. I look forward to getting my hands on any book that you recommend.
    Ira