New fiskars design

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Irongun324

Irongun324

Mar 22, 2012
    Has anyone else seen the new design on their axes? Was at sears this weekend and they had them in the isle on display. New X27 and the hatchet size. The metal is painted black and the handle is black all the way, no orange section. In addition the grip area is textured now with a very shallow design.

I can't find them online unfortunately.

2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Interesting. They've really been blowing through updates the past few years, huh?

3. Irongun324

Irongun324

Mar 22, 2012
    Looks like it. They had some X27 versions hanging next to them. All blacked out.

4. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded

Jun 4, 2010
    I wonder if they got rid of the thin rubberish overlayer on the handle? Have to say, I'm not fond of that. I like the balance compared to my "vintage" hatchet, but preferred the older painted grip.

5. Irongun324

Irongun324

Mar 22, 2012
    Its definitely not a rubber overlay. Just grooved handle material.

6. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    Anything to expedite manufacture and anything to get attention. From what I'm seeing on these forums you can outfit yourself with a good used brand-name tool for much less cost and then also have something you're really proud of. My dad never did buy top-of-the-line, ever, but when he came home with a utility axe in the mid 1960s it was stamped "Sandvik". But at least it looked like every other garage axe in the neighbourhood and by jove I did learn to make that one very sharp when I was in my late teens.

7. theDH

theDH

Sep 18, 2013
    im happy to see the rubbery layer gone too, the old painted handles worked fine for me.

8. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Same.

9. Hannibal2358

Hannibal2358

Sep 18, 2015
    I recently picked up a fiskars 7550 (hatchet) and I must say I was surprised. Most of the other hatchets I've looked at were tiny splitting mauls more than anything but this hatchet is something you can use for crafting as well. It's undoubtedly not a Gransfors but for a third of the price you can't complain. Just goes to show you that, whether it be traditional or modern, the Scandinavians can make a fine axe.