1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Fixed Blade Prototype

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Ten_Mile_Knives, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Ten_Mile_Knives

Ten_Mile_Knives

Feb 9, 2018
    I just finished the prototype for my new "Isonade" pattern knife. 0.15" O-1 steel, 3" cutting length, saber grind, ~15 thou behind the edge. Purple heart wood, black canvas micarta, and 300 stainless steel pins and dividers. I plan on using some Japanese steels like ZDP-189, VG-10 & Aogami super blue to maintain the theme. I'm looking for some constructive criticism as I am a fairly new maker. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

john april likes this.
  2. Ten_Mile_Knives

Ten_Mile_Knives

Feb 9, 2018
    Sorry, I'm new to the forum so I don't completely understand how to post pictures, but if you right click the broken links and open in a new tab it will take you to Imgur to view.

3. Chris Meyer

Chris Meyer Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2005
    I would suggest cropping your images next time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

john april likes this.
  4. Fred.Rowe

Fred.Rowe Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

May 2, 2004
    If you edit in Google pics it will resize your photos to make them more viewable. You will also be able to right click, copy and directly paste to your thread. No need to use a url.

Regards, Fred

5. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    i like the design. very nice.

6. Ten_Mile_Knives

Ten_Mile_Knives

Feb 9, 2018
    Thanks for the tip guys, and for the compliments!

7. olymon

olymon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2017
    The knife looks great! That top edge gets a little scary thin/sharp close to the handle.

8. bluebutcherbird

bluebutcherbird

Jun 13, 2018
    Interesting design and the handle looks perfect! My only critique is of the sculpting you did at the top of the blade. It seems a bit thin for what it needs to be, and makes the knife harder to use in a very controlled manner, because you cant rest the thumb on the spine.

9. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Handle is spot on.
    Dont care for the sculpted blade
    Best of luck in your future knife endeavours.
    I look forward to seeing more knives from your hand.

10. Ten_Mile_Knives

Ten_Mile_Knives

Feb 9, 2018
    After carrying this knife for a week I have found that the handle is great but as many of you pointed out, the sculpting makes the knife uncomfortable to use with much force. I will have to improve this or eliminate the sculpting on the next one. Thank guys :).