new Flash II

Lee, glad you like the knife. :) Opening and closing the Flash(II)'s can be a bit dangerious when the perants/wife see it a lot. My mom hates it when I'm home for the weekend, watching a movie with her and fondling my knives. She likes good knives but "playing" with them drives her crazy. LOL!!

The Blinks and Twitches are cool knives. I've only handled them in the local knife shop. Robbie has way more experience with them then I do. Listen to him.;)

Denis, how did you get so lucky? :confused: Who do I have to bribe? :D;) Hee hee hee! The Flash II Search/Rescue is more of a seat belt cutter then a steak cutter. lol. But if a steak was cooking on the grill, I'm sure I could find ways to cut it with the S/R.;) I'm sure all of us would love to see pics and a review of your new Flash's when you get the chance.

Timp has been getting rained and snowed on these last few days. We've hardly seen any sun since the middle of last week. Sure is pretty up there though. Timps one place in the area I like hike and picknick in. The Cave is beautifull!

Hey, sounds like you had a good trip out by Delta. Old things like your familys old branding Iron are great to have.:) Hope it stays in your family for a long time.

No don't listen to me :D , I love em all ! And I have a serious problem, I can't stop buying knives, I noticed eknifeworks has Flash tantos on the SOG area, and I don't need any more, but I want one of them tantos :( , and I already have 2 Flash IIs, but one more surely won't hurt.
One of these days I am going to have a sale :rolleyes: , but not anytime soon.

Robbie Roberson :)

And I need one more of the Twitch IIs, and one more of the........ :confused:

Robbie, thanks for the heads up! I just checked out their site and was amazed. They sure do have a lot of wonderfull SOGs. Check you PM on the other forum.;)

I have a simmaler problem. I keep buying/getting SOGs and Western brand knives. Won't be satisfied till I have all of the FB SOGs and maybe the folders. lol. Plus all of the Western FB's from the 50's. :eek: :D

Heber,
It's just my job to play with things that belong to other people. It's a tough one, but somebody's got to do it.
Bribery can help, but a Master's Degree in Journalism, a five-year internship with a major publishing corporation, a decade spent traveling the world in out of the way places for the CIA, and a Pullizter Prize-winning flair for words will get you farther.
Or....you could luck out and make it with none of those things, like I did. :D
Just call some companies up on the phone, tell 'em you're a writer & ask for product samples.
Works for me. ;)

Robbie,
Don't forget to post a photo of the new Knife Wing addition to your house when you really get going on your collection.

Denis

Dpris, you had me really going for a minute, :D , but you know the real reason you have made it ? It's your great sense of humor ! :p
Without a joke every few minutes, we tend to get stale. Yes, I do have a few knives, but I have actually been collecting for about 25 years or so, and I really like knives, all kinds, it just so happens I REALLY like SOG knives.
But I have owned many brands, traded, swapped and sold many over the years. I figure I may be about even in dollar amount, if I sold every knife I own and made $25 dollars on each one, thats $25 dollars over what I gave for them, :( .
But I sure enjoy sitting in the recliner, (Heber, that's one of the things you do when your almost 50) and laying out about 10 knives, and flicking them for about an hour, then put them up and do this again the next night.
Robbie Roberson :)

Robbie,
I picked up a folding machete a few years back. Ugly sucker with a semi-bolo blade & black handle scales.
What is it?
Denis

Dpris, I remember seeing that knife, I have a lot of books I know it's in, I'll do a little checking, I remember it well, best I can remember, the blade did not fit the handles, too long and had to have an extended cover. (I think) Very hard black plastic handles. I held one years ago, but my memory fails me where or what. Get back to you on this.
Robbie Roberson ;)

P.S. Have you had a chance to check out the new Knives you got ?

Robbie,
You are so good! I can't recall any markings on the blade, but then I don't think I ever looked real hard either, and I just went downstairs to take a closer look & can't find the thing. It's here somewhere, without that edge guard, but it's the one in the photo, or very similar. You've got an excellent memory, much like mine, George.

The S&R Flash would have been very handy back when I was a working man. The last couple years I did work, I carried one of the S&W First Responses (and it does break car windows nicely), which has a serrated blade for seatbelts & rope that ends in a screwdriver tip. That would work fine for cutting seatbelts if needed, but it wasn't as handy to open one-handed as the S&R, and the tip on the FR blade isn't nearly as useful for cutting clothes (or other items as needed) as the S&R. The S&R arched blade with its blunt tip can slide easily up under a pantleg or a shirtsleeve in getting at wounds that need to be treated, with very little risk of cutting skin at the same time, and I'd think it could be marginally quicker than EMS scissors. The reversible spring clip is a good idea to make it friendly for lefties, the lock and linerless handle are not the strongest among the folder world, but more than adequate for the type of work the S&R would likely be called on to do (no tree chopping, no emergency cabin building, no root digging, no cutting out of airplanes, etc.), the light weight is very good for uniformed city use or real Search & Rescue carry in the wilds, a safety to reduce the chances of the blade opening in the pocket (unlikely anyway, but possible) is a good idea, construction is well done, just the tiniest bit of side to side play in the blade if I basically force it, and slight play front to back (locking notch wiggle). For this type of knife, I don't mind the serrations, on the regular Flash II I'd prefer a non-serrated blade. For me, a dedicated S&R type specialized blade wouldn't be used often enough to dull the serrated peaks & I would expect them to hold up in sharpness for quite a while. With a blade that's used extensively on a regular basis, though, the serrated peaks wear down quicker, and I don't want to mess with trying to keep them sharp. But, that's just me, and other people drive Dodges while I drive a Chevy. Everybody has their own preferences.
My only real criticism of the S&R (and the regular Flash IIs) is that I prefer more rounded handle corners. These are pretty square & boxy, but again, just my preference.
Other than that, nothing comes to mind. Sorry.
Denis

Dpris, Grear review, sounds like a nice knife. I think it would make a great knife for Fire/rescue/EMT or Police, where fast cutting is crucial, when a margin of safety is required, and a one handed, fast blade deployment is helpful.
I have never held one, so this helped.

Robbie Roberson ;)

the knife is great. i love it and carry it all the time. I have run into one small problem though. hope you guys can help me out. I brushed against a swing and somehow the chain caught the clip and pulled it out of my pocket.

there was no problem but it bent the clip a little (bout .75 mm) from the handle of the knife. now it doesnt stay in my pocket right.

I figure i will take off the clip and bend it back then put it back on the knife. One problem. that is the smallest allen wrench i have ever seen. the smallest one i tried was 1/18. Does anybody know what size i need.

Thanks

Lee

Back