New for 2001!

We have introduced several exciting new products for 2001 and I'll be the first to admit an update to our website is long overdue. We are now in the process of adding these new items to our site. The following lists all our new items for 2001 with complete product descriptions. As always we thank you for your support and look forward to your comments.

David Bloch

3" Impulse - A scaled down pocket-carry version of D. Ralph's original Krait design with Kraton innerframes, raised bolsters for increased pivot strength, recessed clip and plenty of style. The 3" Impulse is available with grey bead blast finish and black Teflon coating with plain or serrated cutting edge. This has been my daily carry knife since it was first introduced in September. $54.99 Bead-blast and $59.99 Black Teflon MSRP

3" Paragee - Edge-Tech’s new Paragee designed by custom knifemaker Darrel Ralph is a stylized, hard working folder with solid stainless steel frame-lock construction. Unlike traditional locking liner knives, the Paragee split handle frame lock’s behind the blade for unparalleled strength and lock security. The 3” recurve blade design is Darrel Ralph’s trademark and cuts more powerfully than a straight edge blade. The planetary innerframe handle minimizes weight and greatly enhances gripping. The Paragee features ambidextrous thumb studs, pocket clip and a Sub-0 quenched AUS-8A blade. If you are looking for a light, strong, folder with a reliable lock that’s loaded with style, the Paragee has it all.
Blade: 3”, 6.5” Overall
Weight: 3.5 ounces
Blade Steel: Hitachi AUS-8A Stainless
$54.99 MSRP, Release date is March of 2001

NEW! G-Force
The G-Force is a revolutionary new multi-carry fixed blade system. The stylized reverse curve blade is extremely light weight and balanced to cut powerfully under the most extreme conditions. Three geometric blade slots minimize weight and improve overall balance. The handle incorporates three sets of concentric Pivot-Rings for easy rotation from a forward to reverse grip. The versatile quick-release sheath system includes a unique spring clip/belt loop attachment and neck chain and for a multitude of carry options. This attachment functions as a spring-clip for quick release or can be fastened as fixed belt loop. Deployment options include but are not limited to vertical belt carry, inverted inner pocket clip carry, horizontal and neck carry.
Blade: 3", 6.5” Overall
Weight: 3.5 ounces
Blade Steel: Hitachi AUS-6A Stainless
$24.99 MSRP, Release date is May of 2001.

Pack Axe - Our new Pack-Axe is the ultimate hand axe for splitting firewood, quartering big-game or setting up camp. The Pack-Axe features one piece full-tang construction and is hot drop-forged from a solid molten bar of 1050 tool steel for ultimate strength and durability. The Pack-Axe’s extra wide splitting head is perfectly balanced and features a rubberized Kraton handle for non-slip grip and control. The Pack-Axe comes complete with a nylon belt sheath and lifetime guarantee. Overal Length: 10-7/8” Weight: 19.5 ounces. $39.99 MSRP

Pack-Saw - Our new 3-Blade Pack-Saw is the most versatile and compact take-down saw available. The Pack-Saw sets up from its stowed position to a sturdy 12” bow-saw in seconds. This set includes three blades for wood, bone and metal and comes complete with a nylon storage case for easy packing. Blade Length: 12”, Weight: 14 ounces. MSRP is $24.99

Sportsman's Multi-Tool - The Sportman’s Multi-Tool is a must-have item for every bowhunter, rifle hunter and muzzleloader. This versatile multi-tool features a heavy duty plier head with nock point crimping tool, wire cutter, clip-point knife blade, gut hook blade, wood-bone saw, 3-4 blade broadhead wrench, chisel, can-bottle opener, needle hole punch, lanyard attachment, 9” ruler with inches-centimeters and a magnetic ¼” drive bit adapter with twelve assorted flathead phillips head and hex bits. The Sportsman’s Multi-Tool and all twelve bits store in a compact nylon belt sheath.
Overall Length (Open): 7.0” (17.8cm)
Overall Length (Closed): 4.5” (11.4cm)
Weight: 11.5 ounces $19.80 MSRP.

TREK-TOOL
The Trek-Tool is a complete tool box which carries on your belt. This versatile multi-tool features a spring loaded heavy duty fine/course plier head with wire cutter, ½ plain-serrated edge knife blade, double sided file, saw, chisel/scraper, can-bottle opener, needle hole punch, lanyard attachment, and a magnetic ¼” drive bit adapter with twelve assorted flathead , phillips head, hex and Torx style bits. The Trek-Tool and all twelve bits store on a compact nylon belt sheath. The Trek-Took features Swirl-Brush handles and contoured no-pinch style grips.
Overall Length (Open): 7.0” (17.8cm)
Overall Length (Closed): 4.5” (11.4cm)
Weight: 12.0 ounces
$21.60 MSRP

Any internet dealers have them yet? I've been checking, but no go yet. How about some pics.

Well....I just got the new catalog yesterday.....I ordered about 1/2 doazen pieces to check out of the Impuls & the Magna's. I hope to get them Saturday and check them out. I plan on taking them to the show next weekend to see what the fellas will think!

------------------
Knives & Things
Mike Payne

Ok.......I got the blades in on Saturday.....All I can say is these Impulse's are nice little blades.....nothing real fancy to them, nice and light, sharp edge, seem to ride well in the pocket and opening seems to be fairly easy. I'm pretty pleased with the value of the knife
smile.gif

------------------
Knives & Things
Mike Payne

Whatever happened to the G-force?

I did get a pack-saw. Awesome tool. I have sold several to local hunters. Talk about bang for the buck!

To Dennis:

We suspended production of the G-Force due to a lack of sales responce. We had the G-Force ready to tool up and put into production. However after completing our 2001 trade shows and pre-production marketing, total orders for the G-Force were not enough to warrant putting it into production.

It is really too bad because it was a great design at a great price, $24.99 MSRP. I do offer my sincere regrets to all Forum members waiting for the release of this model.

I got a catalog that had pictures of the G-force. Great concept. I am really surprised there wasn't more response to it.

I think the idea of focusing on outdoor products is a good one. That is a good fit for Outdoor Edge.

I would like to see a personal sized hunter/utility with a multicarry sheath though. :D

Anything new on the horizon?

Well the description of the G-Force sounds neat. Do you at least have a photo of it so I cann see what im going to miss out on?

These days every major manufacturer is cranking out tactical knives like popcorn and a great new design lasts for only a year or so. Each year new designs come out and although they may not be better than a company's previous offerings, they are new. Unfortunately the following year they are not new any more and sales slow down fast. It really is a fickle market. There are very few companies or models that have real staying power over the long term. Spyderco's Police model and BM's AFCK are two that come to mind.

For a company like Outdoor Edge we ended up investing $15,000-20,000 per model on tooling and another $20,000 on marketing for new models like the Impulse and Magna that only sold hot for one year and then sank like a rock. I believe the quality and value offered in these models were excellent but no one really seemed to care because there were already too many tacticals to choose from. I think the recent "Outdoor Edge Underated?" thread will attest to that. This is why we made the decision to go back to our roots and focus on our core market of hunting-outdoor knives. After 13 years our Game Skinner and Whitetail Skinner are still top sellers and we had record sales on the Kodi-Pak this year after being on the market since 1997. The bottom line is hunting knives don't go out of style. You tool up for a new model and keep on selling it year after year.

We have a great new lineup of hunting-outdoor products for 2002 and I will be releasing information these items soon. Dennis, I think one of our new products may be what you are looking for. I am also interested to discuss your ideas on a multi-carry sheath. Call me this week at 800-447-3343. Richard, for our 2001 catalog and pic of the G-Force, e-mail me your address at info@outdooredge.com

To all Forum members who supported our new lineup of folders we thank you and appreciate all the positive feedback. If the market as a whole had better supported our new folders we would have developed more exciting new products in this category however this was not the case. As a result we have no plans to develop any new folders in the near future.

Again thanks for all the positive support and wishing the best as always.

I'm really interested in the new multi tool - can you tell me more about it?

I've wanted to invest in a higher quality multi-tool than the several imported models that I have. Trouble is, I have no real use for a Gerber/Leatherman/VNox multi-tool, other than "just in case", so I always find a better use for the $40-60 I would have to spend. At about 1/2 the price of the other major brands, I'm wondering about the manufacturing and materials in your new tool. Please tell me it's not the same "tool" I can get at the flea market.

Originally posted by RH
Please tell me it's not the same "tool" I can get at the flea market.

I can assure you that the quality Outdoor Edge offers for the price is unreal. Nothing like flea market junk.

Wow!! Impulse and Magna sales sank like a rock after a year. Unbeliveable!!
These two knives are really great values for the money. Is the buying public
"fickle"? No I'd say more likley it's un-informed. Unreal........

To Tightwad:

I agree that consumers were for the most part uninformed about our new folders regardless of our advertising and articles written about them. We received a number of rave reviews on BF from members who purchased our folders. However once a new OE thread sprang up the interest and responses to these threads were minimal.

When I say fickle I am refering to the market as a whole and not the knife buying public. For the consumer there has never been a better time to be a knife nut. The variety of models to choose from, introduction of custom designs, improvements in quality, materials and mechanisms are tremendous. This explosion of New!New!New! has for the most mart been driven by the manufacturers and has resulted in an extremely competitive playing field. As a result manufacturers introduce a great new model that sells well for only a year or so but then dies off because it is no longer new. The top selling model for Buck knives has been and will always be the #110 folder. This year Buck has introduced a whole new lineup of folders. Are they great designs? Are they going to be hot sellers? Will they sell well over the long term? I don't think so. Maybe fickle is not the right word but this is what I am refering to.

To RH:

Our new multitools are produced in China. Can you buy the same exact tool at a flea market? No. There are over 250 different models of multi-tools now being produced in China. I picked what I believe to be the best two and made several changes so the tool was custom to Outdoor Edge. The quality of the plier head, grip comfort and action on our Trek-Tool is equal to the best tools on the market. You also get 12 assorted driver bits with each tool in a quality nylon sheath. For around $20 retail it is an excellent value and a great tool. If you are looking for a backup tool for the truck or boat instead of an EDC these tools will fit the bill. The flea market tools are bought and sold but never checked for QC. We hand inspect and package each tool in Colorado before it goes out the door. Can you buy a similar tool at a flea market? Possibly. Will it be the same quality level of an Outdoor Edge tool? Probably not.

Thank you for your attention.

RH, I bought a Trek Tool from David at the Blade Show in June. I have used it quite a bit. I think that dollar for dollar it is one of the best buys in a multi tool. I am a gadget freak, and I have a Leatherman original, supertool, and a Wave. I also have 3 different Gerbers, and a Schrade. If you catch me working around the house, I generally have the Trek Tool with me. It's a handy gadget for tinkering.
David, I finally got a chance to use the Pack Axe. It's a great tool. Due to a bad back injury in Sept., I can't really chop with it, but I have been using it to split kindling by whoping it with a baton. I bought a load of mixed seasoned hardwood, and when I need kindling I set a piece on end and drive the pack axe through it. I have split up Popler, White and Red Oak, Hickory, and Sweet Gum, I sharpened the axe when I got ready to use it, and I haven't had to sharpen it again. It is truly a fine tool. I just got a Field Lite, awesome knife, and I have just found a place that carries the Pocket Lite, and ordered it. Hope to be able to get a Magna in Jan. Why your folders aren't selling better I don't know. Every thing that I ever bought from OE has been a lotta knife for a good price.
Steve L :D

Back