New for 2012???

KFU

Part Time Knifemaker, Moderator
Now that I am about back up to full speed I need to order some supplies. What new designs would you like to see? A carving knife, chefs knife, fighter, recurves, wharnies???? Im not really into swedges, tantos, chisel grinds, etc, but I can do them if need be. I was just wondering what might interest you guys that I can throw in the mix. I am going to do some more fattycrafters and Roach Bellies for sure since I only made one of each and Ive already been in contact to get some more Camp knives cut out. I also want to try some micarta or wood bolsters along with some micarta pinstock to mix it up. Im trying to stay away from Micarta handles but I might do a few if its popular. Just trying to get some ideas flowing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive been collecting alot of wood lately. For some reason I have been intrigued with contrasting woods like the Cocobolo I used on that Camp Knife along with different colored grain woods. It might not be for everyone since the norm is highly eyed burls and such, but I think it fits my knives pretty well. I was also thinking of doing some firesteels to match the knives. Its not a money maker with the time involved but it would be pretty cool, I think.

+1 on the fatty, been waiting to test it out. Have you considered trying a different steel something in the CPM3V? By the way I damn near cut off the end of my thumb with one of your blades this week. Never try to dig out a splinter while trying to drive a tractor. :p

I have been thinking about different steels. Sorry about the cut! Here is my recent cut!
mail.jpg

A knife maker that has never cut himself won't be in business very long.......... Good job

Firesteels would be pretty cool. I'd probably take a few of them. A thin kitchen knife would be pretty cool to see, but I don't think one made of 1095 would survive my gf's abuse. Something small, like 3/4" from edge to spine with like a 3 1/4" to 3 1/2" blade and a full length handle, but maybe not full sized might be cool. Maybe a spear point or something similar? Maybe your edc's are already that size, I guess I'm not sure about that.

A 5-6" recurve would be nice.
Bolsters aren't needed on a user imo,especially with the woods you use,but I can understand you wanting to do them.I've thought about trying to put some on a handle project,but I don't think I can pull it off with the limited tools I have to work with.They do provide some nice contrast,as do micarta pins.
I'd say with your creative talents what ever you do will sell,so mix it up man.

Im not really into swedges, tantos, chisel grind

I'm with you on this one although I think on some types of knives, a swedge is okay for asthetics. IMHO there are few things better than Micarta/G10 for a user knife. It's just tough stuff and I like the looks of most of it (I make my own from time to time). Of course, like you I have an addiction for fine wood on a steel blade!

I don't use a lot of different knives in the Kitchen. In fact, I just sold a set of Henckels that my wife got me for Christmas a few years ago. Made in China and wouldn't hold a better edge than a few of my Old Hickory knives or her Rada knives. Having said that, I love the feel and looks of a good Chef or Santoku knife. I have a few that I've made out of CPM 154 as gifts for others. Can't bring myself to keep one...lol

I have been thinking about different steels. Sorry about the cut! Here is my recent cut!
mail.jpg

Whoa! There's gotta be a good story behind that one. Do tell!

Daym Chris, you weren't kidding when you said you sliced it good. I'd be very careful about not getting that bad boy infected.
Before I got on this forum, I didn't know a choil from a jimping to a Scandi grind from a ricaso. But now that I know enough to hurt myself, a few different models with 2" - 3" blades but with their handles in the 4" - 4 1/2" range would be good. Over time, I have just gotten used to making knives like Strider's & Entrek's (6" - 8") work for just about whatever I had to do with them . . . . maybe not within the realms of good knife sense or safety, but I could not find any small bladed knives that had handles that I could control with confidence without the knife twisting and turning in my hand.
So if your wish list would include a few more "Camper's" / "Keppie's" / blades in the 5" - 6"+ range and 1 1/4" to 1 1/2", there definitely would be some heading to Ohio, along with some of the smaller blade / long handled ones as well. Sally T's "C" knife you made her is pretty close to it. But of course I would have to arm wrestle her to use it, and I do not feel like getting my shoulder dislocated again . . . . . ;)
You and BA keep doing what you all have been doing lately, looks like so far it is working out pretty good for both of you, and I know you have heard the old saying about "if something ain't broke . . . . . " . . . . :)
Be safe.

I have one of yours I bought here on the forum and will be sending to you as a guide for a custom I woudl liek made after I receive and try the handle on the Fatty. I do not know the model, but it is a small recurve with a sub 3 1/2 " blade and handle. I want to add 1" to the blade and 1 1/2 to the handle. I agree with the full length handle and sub 4" blade concept. These are much more user friendly and more likely to be used by the less experienced.

Also, have you considered doing a large run of a model with full length handle and sub 4" blades with a lower end type wood so we could purchase them as gifts for others? If you had a model as described shipped for under $75 on a run of 100 blanks (not sure on the volume you want to deal with or need to turn a profit) or so and a very very basic sheath, I would grab a few to give to my nephews and others I know to get them on the crack. Call it the "graduation special" . I'd rather give this than a $50 blade from a major manufacture.

I would love to do something like that but its wouldn't be cost effective. Sheaths would eat up over 1/4 of that price and shipping another 5-10. That would only leave 40.00 and with metal, belts, etc there wouldn't be much left. Wood is actually the least expensive part of my knives since I get really good deals on it usually.

I have one of yours I bought here on the forum and will be sending to you as a guide for a custom I woudl liek made after I receive and try the handle on the Fatty. I do not know the model, but it is a small recurve with a sub 3 1/2 " blade and handle. I want to add 1" to the blade and 1 1/2 to the handle. I agree with the full length handle and sub 4" blade concept. These are much more user friendly and more likely to be used by the less experienced.

Also, have you considered doing a large run of a model with full length handle and sub 4" blades with a lower end type wood so we could purchase them as gifts for others? If you had a model as described shipped for under $75 on a run of 100 blanks (not sure on the volume you want to deal with or need to turn a profit) or so and a very very basic sheath, I would grab a few to give to my nephews and others I know to get them on the crack. Call it the "graduation special" . I'd rather give this than a $50 blade from a major manufacture.

5-6" french trade knife, maybe matching necker. Kinda suits your style. Wood handles with matching fire steel would be cool. Might serve double duty as a kitchen knife

I mostly like bushcraft style blades. Love the drop points and nessmuks. Oh wait, you already make all these things, haha. Never mind. :D 5" handle, and around a 4" blade is perfect for me.

9" Hudson Bay with a 5" handle?
nummy!
or how about a chisel knife similar to the Mora Craftline pnly with an exposed tang at the butt for use with a mallet or glut?
11398.jpg

The sheath would not be necessary just a nice to have. The $75 for a custom is still a steal.

I was thinking bout this some and an idea popped into my head. STAG!!!! I would love to see some stag handles from you. I love the looks of stag and other horns and think it would go really well with your antique finish.

I really like the matching firesteel idea and with a universal sheath; that would be a real nice setup. Micarta pins would be sweet instead of the SS ones; that would add some character. I think your campers, roach bellies, and kepharts will always sell well for the big KFU blades. I love your wharnies which are definitely a sleeper to most. Its a damn useful blade; not exactly the most appealing to the eye to everyone though. But who cares right? I have two KFU stye wharnies; a large and a small one and they truly come in handy. Also a big fan of your necker which most havent seen too much of; great compact knife as is the wide blade edc. I love the funky edc which is also kind of a sleeper but it just feels right in the hand. Would like to see the new fattycrafter stay around as well. The bolsters would give your KFU's some different flavor which we have yet to see but like was mentioned previously its not needed but it would be interesting maybe every once in awhile. Burls are nice but I am over them really. I prefer spalted, curly and chatoyant woods and always prefer for them to be stabilized. Micarta is great for the user but I think its takes the right liners and pins to really set off the whole package or it just ends up kind of blah. Speaking of liners it always nice to double them up and have a thick liner and a contrasting accent pinstripe liner in my opinion. Need to see more scandi grinds as well. I think you have a great selection of blade shapes already Chris (I should know right!). Whatever you decide I am sure they will go like hotcakes bro; can't wait for your new stuff and best of luck to you!
:thumbup:

Great ideas guys! I really appreciate it. I am going to use some stag and micarta pins along with copper pinstripe and copper pins. I want to try different materials. I am really liking the convex saber grind so I will be doing alot more of that. I just made a scandi with my son, a gift to him, and the jig works great. I think after these six or so I am making now I will concentrate on my newer models like the Roach Belly, Fattycrafter and even that little caper. I like all of those knives and I have only made one of each thus far. I love a wharnnie blade Eric, it just seems not too many people like them. I will also be ordering some more Camp knives in a month or so, they seem to be real popular. I have received at least ten emails asking about them.

Back