New Gerbers for 2005

I was browsing around in the Gerber website andnoticed they have a couple of new multitools coming out.

http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=itempage&xid=737

The Diesel doesn't appear to be much different than the standard 600 Multi-Plier. The description talks about an "improved plier head" and "larger, tougher tools." Guess I'll wait and see.

http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=itempage&xid=738

The Shortcut, well...........um.........appears to be very similar to another small scissor tool, also made in Portland, Oregon.

I won't mention any names though. ;)

I hope that Gerber ran the Shortcut through the legal office. I may have a faulty recall;but ISTR seeeing a pic of the Diesel,and it was done in a bright finish instead of the usual matte.

The Shortcut actually looks promising, and I'm no fan of Gerber multis. The fact that the blades are all accessible from outside the folded tool gives it an advantage over the LM Micra, which is a nice design that's unfortunately showing its age.

Hafta wait and see one in person, see if it has Gerber's usual crappy fit and finish.

Gryffin said:
The Shortcut actually looks promising, and I'm no fan of Gerber multis. The fact that the blades are all accessible from outside the folded tool gives it an advantage over the LM Micra, which is a nice design that's unfortunately showing its age.

Hafta wait and see one in person, see if it has Gerber's usual crappy fit and finish.

That is true enough, but then Gerbers cost less than the comparable Leatherman or Victorinox, I don't mind them as beaters, and you are not overly upset if you lose one.

Gryffin said:

Well the Micra has been replaced for a while now (couple years or so) with a new design from the same maker, which has all blades open from the outside and is far superior(IMHO)...This new gerber is just different enough to avoid trouble.

It will be interesting to test the gerber against the other, I have no doubt which will be better. (though I suppose I could be wrong).

klattman said:
Well the Micra has been replaced for a while now (couple years or so) with a new design from the same maker, which has all blades open from the outside and is far superior(IMHO)....
I assume you mean the Squirt? It's so much smaller, I never really though of it as a replacement for the Micra, more like a "mini-Juice". But I suppose you're right. I was comparing this new one to the wrong competiton!

The Gerber is a tad bigger than the Squirt, but, yeah, I definitely see the resemblance. Guess Gerber's lawyers needed something to do anyway, right?

I think I paid $25 for my Squirt so $18 list for the little scissors isn't bad. If they carry them at Target they might be discounted down to $12-14. I'll try one if it's the right price.

Squirt-ShortcutComparison.jpg

(Maybe the name "Shortcut" comes from the way the Gerber engineers shortcut the design process by copying the Squirt?) :D

Back