New grinder on the way

rodriguez7

Gila wilderness knife works
so I finally decided to step up to a real grinder! Yesterday I ordered a pheer 454, with a 10 inch wheel, flat platen, and small wheel holder and set! But since I do primarily convex grinds, I’m looking into a rotary platen! Is it really needed? It’s another 500 bucks. And reeder is the only one I can find in stock. Anyone have experience with one of their products? How useful is it?

You're going to love the new machine. If you do a lot of convex grinds there is no substitute for a rotary. You still need to flat grind to about 75% of finish before switching to the rotary for a proper lean convex.Between sharpening, shaping handles, and convex grinding you'll want another grinder just so you don't have to keep talking the rotary off.

You're going to love the new machine. If you do a lot of convex grinds there is no substitute for a rotary. You still need to flat grind to about 75% of finish before switching to the rotary for a proper lean convex.Between sharpening, shaping handles, and convex grinding you'll want another grinder just so you don't have to keep talking the rotary off.
I figured that much, I went ahead and ordered it right now. This is an expensive hobby!

I have only purchased one Reeder product so far, but it was really well built. I am getting ready to get a grinder frame and some other stuff from Reeder to set up a dedicated horizontal grinder ….. and yes, this is an expensive hobby.

Some fly to Aruba, some sail/cruise on their boats, some golf at exotic locations … I just walk out to the shop - same cost, just different sources of joy. (I get to keep my joy's results, and can do it everyday if I want to).

I have been eyeing the Reeder frame as well. I also like the DIY grinder Iron Creek is selling. I believe that’s the one I will order ...maybe lol

Great choice on the 454! So many options and attachments for it.

The rotary is shipping today, but I won’t get my grinder till June sometime! Sadly! Thanks guys for the replies! I am really enjoying this hobby, and it’s starting to pay for itself! I’m still learning a lot.

I have an older Pheer. Not even sure it has a model number. I have made many, many knives with it. It purrs.

gKyKRnR.jpg

0UwQqGd.jpg

Back