New handle machining

SpyderPhreak

Rocketman for hire
Platinum Member
Haven't noticed mention of this anywhere yet, so thought I’d start a new thread. :)

Anyone else notice the different machine work on the handle scales lately?

On previous handle scale machining, it appeared pretty obvious that the work was being done with a ~1/8” -1/4” ball end or rounded end mill. Valleys were smooth, and were obviously cut in a single pass lengthwise.

The new machining, however, is MUCH different!!! Grooves are now cut with what appears to be a 1/16”, or maybe even finer, high speed tip. Larger valleys, instead of being cut lengthwise in a single pass as before, now appear to be a series of small back and forth passes perpendicular the the main valley.

This new machine work gives the scales almost a fingerprint look to them, if you look very closely. Kind of interesting, actually. Kind of a micro-pattern in the macro-pattern. Also slightly changes the color banding patterns in the multi-color G10 vs. the older machining. Also definitely more obvious in the multi-color G10, and can be pretty hard to see in some of the canvas in my experience so far.

I have no pics to show an example of this right now, but have noticed it in some of the TGA2 and PR pics. I’ll go steal some and post them here shortly.

Anyway, thoughts? Like? Dislike? Have pics?

Pic courtesy @DesertDweller

Especially noticeable towards the front of the scale here.

Image courtesy @Chingon1988

umWIRbv.jpg

Somewhat noticeable here if you zoom in.

Images courtesy @Steve in SoCal

Especially noticeable oh the green/black G10 here.

Image courtesy @Leonardo63

full

Can see it a bit here on this TGA2

Image courtesy hydeinmind hydeinmind

thumbnail_46ce9d04-4248-4b1c-abd7-8d70505408d2-jpg.843461

Can see it towards the lanyard hole on the tan/black G10 here.

Last edited:
Hmmm..wow! Thats quite a tooling change.
Ill have to take a closer look.

Hmmm..wow! Thats quite a tooling change.
Ill have to take a closer look.

It is indeed. However, some CNC centers handle this internally, and the program doesn’t require a change. My guess, that’s the case here.

That' pretty cool. I wonder if what they'e using now could cut a gunstock type checkering pattern. That would be awesome on a nice satin INFI or Elmax hunting knife with white or black paper micarta.
(Sends subliminal vibes towards Ohio)

I’d bet it easily could. I’d even take a bet that the new cutter is likely diamond-tipped! :cool:

No problem guys! I actually noticed it months ago, but hadn’t been on the forum much, and was actually pretty surprised not to see anyone mentioning it.

I’m working on finding some better images. I’ve noticed it on the INFI Ratweilers and BGFBM’s as well.

Wow, good eye! I was comparing an older TGLB with Tan/black G10 to my TGA2 with Tan/black G10 and trying to figure out what all was different... obviously the colors now seem almost universally bolder/higher contrast, but I didn't really pick up on this aspect. Very cool! As for comparing those two particular handles, I think I prefer the way the new one looks, while slightly preferring the way the old one feels (it's not as angular and "sharp").

It’s subtle. Without some machinist type background, I guess most folks probably wouldn’t notice or even really realize there was a difference.

Makes them feel smoother I think. No need for me to hand sand them down like I did with one of my very old tglbs. However, I didn't realize the reason until reading your thread. Good eye sir!

I wonder if they are using a spiral head cutter in a "Jointer" that is producing that effect. It would certainly make more sense to do a single pass on a wide piece of material 6 foot long instead of doing a 10,000 passes with a micro end mill....I believe they can be custom manufactured for patterns.

I wann say some smart a$$$ like That you been starring at them too long, waiting for the Misstress reveal lol but now that you mention it, I believe Ur right.

Lol. :D Given I’m sitting in a hotel room thousands of miles away from my blades, that’s definitely not the case. :p

Plus, I’ve been noticing for months. ;)

2626CD89-99AA-47E5-AAD6-3E3A2F63F2BD.jpeg Not entirely sure how I feel about the new handles. Grip is better , looks went down.

Hard to tell on micarta but G10 really shows the difference

My baby boom is smooth as buster in the cuts. My A2 looks like it was 3D printed.

I' not familiar enough with a mill to know what would cause these patterns but I think they look pretty cool in the G10. Seems like lots of tiny cuts would fray the ends of canvas micarta fibers. About which model did you start seeing this on?

I'm thinking BURP, AFAIK

I' not familiar enough with a mill to know what would cause these patterns but I think they look pretty cool in the G10. Seems like lots of tiny cuts would fray the ends of canvas micarta fibers. About which model did you start seeing this on?

Back