New hatchet from Gransfors Bruk

The November issue of TK shows the new mini-belt hatchet from Gransfors. Does anyone have any further info on this? Is anyone else putting out a quality hatchet/hawk in a smaller size? The Gransfors mini loks like a scaled down Wildlife hatchet.

Paul

There are lots of small belt axes, for example :

http://www.bussecombat.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?client=65245355&action=serve&item=hatchet.html

It would be interesting to see how the traditional design would compare to the common cutlery versions. Considering the quality of the Gransfors Bruks products and the price, they look to have a considerable advantage over the competition.

Personally however, I prefer a full sized hatchet if I am going to carry one.

-Cliff

I just got a Granfors Bruk mini hatchet and the reason I chose it was the weight. If I am going to carry it backpacking it must be very light or I won’t bother. In addition I am using the hatchet for making kindling and small limbing jobs for campfires. If I were into serious bush craft I could see were it may be too small and light. As I have not used it yet I can’t judge it properly, but my initial impression is it will be good for my intended use.

... I was going to be a sophomore in high school when this thread was laid to rest...

holy thread necromancy, Batman.

I like small hatchets because they’re cute, but when it comes time to do anything more than light camp chores I’d rather have a standard hatchet. I’m of the opinion that there’s a reason 1.25 lb hatchets are the most common.

Back