1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New here **Update and Thank You!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by foppa78, Nov 12, 2013.

1. foppa78

foppa78

Nov 6, 2013
    Last week I made a post saying that I had lost my Kershaw chive that I had for 10 years. I did not think that I would be so upset about losing this knife. I guess having it with me every day for 10 years got me really attached to it. While looking for a replacement I came across this community and decided to sign up. In my original thread JustinWatts made a very generous offer to send me his Chive that he no longer used. This was an extremely generous offer and I wanted to make this post to thank him for it. Thanks Justin!

This appears to be a great community and I am still trying to figure out if I fit in here. I am not a knife collector. I had that same Chive for over 10 years and never even thought about needing other knives. I didn't even know that people collected these things. That being said, I did develop some interest in a few other knives while shopping for that replacement. I really liked the slightly larger size (than the chive) of the Scallion and the Kryo. I also checked out a Spyderco black Tenacious but I don't seem to like those larger 3 inch knives. Boy was that thing smooth though. It opened nicely and just felt nice. If I keep hanging around here I could see me being tempted by something else. For now though, I think I will stick to my old faithful Chive from Justin.

Thanks for the knife Justin and thanks to everyone else for the welcome!

-foppa

2. wjswiger

wjswiger Banned BANNED

Feb 27, 2011
    Sorry to hear about your loss......glad to hear about your gain!! Congrats Justin for stepping up and helping a new member.....that is the type of thing that makes this forum such a great place to frequent!!

3. grownstar

grownstar

Apr 24, 2013
    Great update, man! You'd be surprised how many awesome people frequent this site.

4. JustinWatts

JustinWatts

May 26, 2012
    Glad I could help, the knife will definitely appreciate some use. It's absolutely okay to only use one knife, just be glad you aren't dropping hundreds of dollars a week on new blades. :grumpy:

5. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Thank you, Justin, for helping to make BF the type of place it is.

6. FCM415

FCM415 Banned BANNED

Jul 9, 2012
    You got a point there and you ain't kidding, literally dropping those amounts hehe. It's a full fledged hobby.

7. jjoanty01

jjoanty01

Jun 2, 2011
    I would say its more of an obsession, at least for me :D

8. foppa78

foppa78

Nov 6, 2013
    Am I in the minority in liking blades shorter than 3 inches? Are there any great knifes in the 2-2.5 inch range?

9. SOLEIL

SOLEIL Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 20, 2006
    I would not say that you are in the minority, but your wallet is in trouble now. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of great knives out there that fit your needs. I personally have few knives below 3 inches so I am not up on specific names of such. All of the major names offer them though. Benchmade,Boker, Buck, Cold Steel, Kershaw, Spyderco etc to name a few. Welcome to the forums and Good Luck!

10. sechip

sechip Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Props Justin!

11. Xenocrates

Xenocrates

Oct 18, 2008
    If you liked the Tenacious except for the blade length check out the Persistence by Spyderco. Pretty much the same knife just a bit smaller, 2 7/8" blade if I recall correctly.

12. foppa78

foppa78

Nov 6, 2013
    Thanks. I will check this out. I am glad to hear that there might be a few great smaller knives out there.

13. mrynecy

mrynecy

Jun 3, 2012
    lots of great folders under 3" for edc. Benchmade mini-ritter & spyderco chaparral are 2 of my favorites.

14. FordFan

FordFan

Dec 11, 2012
    Justin. Thanks for stepping up and making BaldeForums a better place. This country needs more people like you.