1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

New house, new tools....new baby?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Justin Schmidt, Nov 8, 2019 at 8:36 PM.

1. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Schmidt Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 18, 2016
    Hey everyone! Haven't posted in a while. Lifes been crazy. My wife and I just bought our first house, just had our 2nd son the end of September. BUT I was able to grab some pretty awesome tools and equipment that I've been drooling over for years.
    Got a evenheat lb18
    [​IMG]

I got this one from usaknifemaker thankfully it was one of their ready ship models so it came in, in less than a week!

Got a Little machine shop 3990 deluxe. It has some additional features and it came with a DRO on an android tablet installed and ready to go. Got the stand,collets set (1/8-3/4) parallels set, clamping set, end mills set, and an Albrecht keyless chuck.
    Think I can toss my old drill press and just use this? Or should I keep it?

[​IMG]

Last but not least I got a motor and flat disc for a 9in disc grinder. Still gotta wire it to my existing VFD.

Any tips/advice on anything I'd appreciate it!

2. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Congrats on all the new stuff!!!

but..... now you have to take care of it all.;)

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  3. Justin Schmidt

Feb 18, 2016
    Thanks man! Ready to get serious about folders.
    The baby is way easier to take care of than his older brother lol

4. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    Life is good!

Hoss

Ken H> and Justin Schmidt like this.
  5. Justin Schmidt

Feb 18, 2016

Yes sir it sure is!!

6. coldsteelburns

coldsteelburns

Aug 2, 2010
    Sweet! And congrats! :)

Regarding the drill press, unless it's taking up precious shop space and you need the extra room for something else, I'd say keep it, and you might find it useful for more dedicated tasks, such as keeping a countersink in it for chamfering all of your holes or even installing a "tapmatic" head on it and using it as a dedicated hole tapper, which I've seen numerous folder makers do.

I'm envious of that mill... OK, and the kiln as well lol .. (already have a disc grinder ;) )

~Paul
    My Youtube Channel
    ... (Some older vids of some of the older knives I made)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 1:44 AM
    Ken H> and Justin Schmidt like this.
  7. Justin Schmidt

Feb 18, 2016
    Thank you! That's not a bad idea actually! I might just do that thanks for the tip!

coldsteelburns likes this.
  8. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    Take the time to "Tram" the Head to the Mill Table. See youtube videos for instructions, also Square up the Vise on the Table you will need a "Test" indicator.

Keep your Drill Press!!!!

9. Justin Schmidt

Feb 18, 2016

I've been studying up on that. Just ordered a dial test indicator. I'm gonna make a tramming plate so o dont have to worry about messing with shimms

10. RedFury

RedFury Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 17, 2015
    ENVY !!!